• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Where to Be-GIN with Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BVerfG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Start from episode 1 and watch it all or go home, I say. That's what I did for Detective Conan back in the day. I was lucky enough to be into Naruto and One Piece since the fansub days. Skipping episodes and missing things is always lame, unless its a bunch of different series like Yu-Gi-Oh or Gundam. But then you get series like ARC-V and Build Fighters with tons of callbacks to previous series so maybe watch all those too....?

Eh...that's time in your life you never get back. If you enjoy it, good for you but to me Detective Conan like Gintama is a lot of hit and miss. There are some episodes that are really good and funny and others that are just bad and depending on your tastes that might vary wildly. I tried Gintama several times and while some episodes were hilarious, most wrre kinda shrug or boring to me
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Also, Mike, if you think Gintama is the only series from Shonen Jump that goes balls-to-the-wall crazy with references and meta-humor, there´s also Sket Dance(set in a highschool), Bobobo(compared to Gintama, it seems created after its author became crazy with crack, no offense)and Medaka Box(also set on highschool, but with the context of a battle shonen series).

Speaking about the last one, Mike, as you make some articles about shonen jump series, I want you to make an article about this manga series.It´s written by NisioIsin, and like his novels, it´s a complicated one to digest, in fact, pretty wordy at times. But I think you should make an article of its satires to the shonen genre, its infamous character, Kumagawa, and some other things. Also the article can serve a discussion about shonen sattires. If there´s anyone here who wants that, please let´s beg it. Or use this hashtag: #MedakaBoxArticle please. It´s just a petition.
hatguy12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember exactly, but I think I also started watching one of the middle/later seasons, and then went back to rewatch from the beginning.

The article mentioned not liking the longer, multi-episode stories as much, however I think I might be the opposite. Actually, the episodes I tended to enjoy most were those introducing a new recurring character, and I think those are more often 2-3 episodes.

I haven't actually seen every episode; I vaguely intend to rewatch with all the episodes at some point. How I watched first was by skimming through each episode (streaming on my computer) to look for new recurring characters, or get a sense of whether it was an episode related to the overall plot; then I would watch it if it met those criteria. Because I picked up the series from the middle initially, I could get an idea of when a recurring character was being introduced vs a random gag episode. That was my method for "catching up" without watching every single episode fully.
Midaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand people's anxiety nowadays. Are you watching like ten anime series at once or what? I usually watch one or two series and One Piece, which is neverending. So, when I decide to watch a series, I start in episode one and I relax enjoying it to the very end. If I get bored because I'm not in the mood or I suddenly feel like watching something else, I don't skip it just to get to the end soon. I simply leave it for some other time. I would understand you skipping episodes of Bleach, those stories that did not appear in the manga. I would understand if you skipped episodes of One Piece, because some of them make you loose your patience since the story simply doesn't advance. But Gintama's? Either you love Gintama or you hate it, and if you loved it, you wouldn't skip one of them.

What I mean is that you really need to dig into the series to understand it. Skipping will make you miss its unique essence.

I used to watch an episode everyday. That made me miss it when I catched up and the season ended. It was a part of my everyday routine and it was great watching it that way during a break, because I would either laugh aloud for twenty minutes or enjoy some exciting story, mostly both.

Getting stressed while watching Gintama is a huge sin. If you like the series, you sure know what I mean.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:

But I do know that comedy is one of the most subjective forms of entertainment so I'm not saying this to try and convince or argue with anyone instead I'm just providing the opposite side of the argument.

Funny, I find horror to be a lot more subjective than comedy. The real problem is that while we all have something to be scared of, people without a sense of humor still find things funny. That is to say, while people say something is or is not scary, they rarely add on "now this one, [blank], is scary".

I saw 50 episodes of Gintama and the movie and that's enough for me. I got it, I thought it was funny but I moved on and the show did not. Gintama Is roughly equal to 30 one cour series, some that go somewhere, those that don't, some really funny, some not so much... much like Gintama itself I imagine.

Honestly, at this point I feel liking Gintama is a cult. Like One Piece, it's just there... except when it's not... but its virtues of being a series has little to do with its quality considering how much of it can be skipped even from its fans though which parts that can be skipped is a matter of contention. I'd rather see an article getting into its appeal rather than "Gintama is appealing, what parts do you find appealing?"

Gintama: You must assimilate! Or you will be assimilated! Wait, am I thinking of the Borg?

Long running series? I like the britcom Red Dwarf which has been running on and off and off for about 25 years. There's no status quo, the situations are as varied as the cast isn't and repeating gags tend to stick to single six episode seasons. There's an essential order, no episodes can be skipped and character development not only happens but matters. Still, at the end of the day, it's a sci fi gag series.

It's what Gintama should be. Example: Red Dwarf did the gender bending thing too except it actually happened in story and bridged the plot between season 2 and 3. So, apart from the cast and sci fi setting, what is Gintama?
JoeQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
I like Gintama more on principle than in reality, if that makes sense. The characters are great, but the series is kinda all over the place. The comedy stuff is (almost) always great, but the serious arcs vary wildly in quality. Some are excellent, some make me just want to tune out. And the sappy episodes are the worst, like the one where Sadaharu takes care of another dog and Gintoki acts like a colossal a-hole just to teach him a 'lesson'.
Midaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]
LoriasGS wrote:

So, apart from the cast and sci fi setting, what is Gintama?

Well, Gintama is the story of an outcast living among outcasts in a world that has changed so fast that nothing makes sense anymore. Gintoki tries to survive faithfull to his principles, taking everyday problems not too seriously because he has seen much worse. Even so, just living in the world makes an adventure of every single day for him, since most of what he's seen is war and a classroom. He's not qualified to do any job. He can't afford his own house. He doesn't have connections or friends to give him a hand and he falls for girls on the screen, because he doesn't know how to approach a woman in real life or simply doesn't feel able to implicate in any relationship.

This series is full of what one would call stereotypes, yet all these characters are the product of a consumerist society governed by publicity and controlled by an elite that is more powerful than the shogun himself, and which power only grows and grows deleting the concept of middle class, pretty much like our own world.

So Gintama contrasts values from the past with those of nowadays. It's not like it inspires to take the arms, but somehow it does shake you not to remain passive, specially young people in Japan who don't seem to care about politics anymore, when their own future is at stake. In Gintama there's a time for everything and the silliest thing has its consequences.

In Gintama the outcasts try to survive the best they can and though, sometimes, situations force them to fight with eachother, in the end, they feel empathy for the other part and help them to recover faith in themselves and faith in the world. It hides very good messages.

You may argue that some episodes are not up to your expectations but, being such long series, it's generally better than many others. An aditional reason why I love it is that it hasn't fallen into fan service. There are jokes on sex but girls' boobs remain normal size and the camera does not focus on them or on vaginas. What happened to One Piece is a disgrace, in my opinion. It was a stupid thing to try to compete with Fairytail in those terms, instead of using a better plot. There was absolutely no need for that, and has influenced the anime industry very badly. I have always believed that suggesting is more sexy than showing. And if you want to show, do it as it is, natural and classy like the nudity that appears in Shingeki no Bahamut. Honor the Classic Greece and the Renaissance, not Kim Kardashian; and don't put all girls at her level.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
fudge this article. Start with episode 1 (maybe 3, because the first two are a special) and don't even think of skipping a single episode.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
GINTAMAAAAAAAAN

Man if you started with the dub, you missed a lot of good stuff. Aside from the humor, this show has some amazing action. Definitely check out the Benizakura (They made a dubbed movie of it) and Yoshiwara (139-146) arcs. You should be able to get into them pretty easily.

and its being dubbed by ocean group which is a good thing & a relief ,though since i haven't heard any news from OG since black lagoon's ova, i really thought they closed up shop and i was more or less convinced that crunchyroll did what NIS & nozumi with CCS and gundam build fighters & use the one from animax asia when it was announced until i was corrected by a poster.

but you cant blame me for being out of the loop.if your not a massive dub cast junkie or you only focus on dub studios announcements from the US side and not from Vancouver , most fans especially those that have watch ocean group dub and was part of the old toonami faithful era (during the time when zoids new century, gundam seed and inuyasha was on CN) wouldn't think that this cast is from that studio since they usually have their well known VAs at the forefront. hell i never even knew they replaced david with a new VA for the final act let alone that this cast even had those that did the old escaflone which was over 20 years ago. it goes to show that until something is official , it aint dead yet. at least crunchyroll didn't use the animax asia version, and that is something we all are relieved for. hopefully if this series is successful , then sentai might reconsider giving the original version they licensed an english dub. one can hope can they not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Also, Mike, if you think Gintama is the only series from Shonen Jump that goes balls-to-the-wall crazy with references and meta-humor, there´s also Sket Dance(set in a highschool), Bobobo(compared to Gintama, it seems created after its author became crazy with crack, no offense)and Medaka Box(also set on highschool, but with the context of a battle shonen series).

Speaking about the last one, Mike, as you make some articles about shonen jump series, I want you to make an article about this manga series.It´s written by NisioIsin, and like his novels, it´s a complicated one to digest, in fact, pretty wordy at times. But I think you should make an article of its satires to the shonen genre, its infamous character, Kumagawa, and some other things. Also the article can serve a discussion about shonen sattires. If there´s anyone here who wants that, please let´s beg it. Or use this hashtag: #MedakaBoxArticle please. It´s just a petition.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Gintama episodes you really should watch.

I do talks at anime conventions. The last time I talked about Gintama, I concluded with “How to Watch Gintama”. Which seems odd, but there are several ways to approach a long show like this: sequentially, cherry-pick arcs, dive right in anywhere, etc. The first two episodes are skippable - they introduce all the characters rather than starting with the story, in the manner of the unnecessary first episode of FMA:B.

Disclaimer: Hijikata is my favorite character, which may have resulted in some biased recommendations.

25 - Wicked Death Note parody, in which the characters strategize for who will get the largest share of meat from the nabe pot.

38a - Snow building contest featuring the Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon

43a - The other women characters argue over which of them should replace Kagura as the series’ heroine.

48a - Gintoki and Hijikata keep running into each on their day off, end up locked in a sauna.

76-81 - Yagyu arc. Yorozuya and Shinsengumi team up to prevent Otae from marrying. Ep. 79 is the single funniest episode of anything: 4 men in restroom stalls and no toilet paper. But they each have some type of paper, and what they do with it reveals character besides being hilarious.

86-87 - Serious arc, we find out why Sougo wants to kill Hijikata. Get your tissues ready.

94 (beginning) - Animation incomplete as show goes to air

98-99 - Owee arc. Our heroes are in line to get the latest video game. Lots of gaming and old anime references, such as a whole scene parodying Heidi.

101-105 - Shinsengumi Discord. Hijikata is being pushed out as Vice-Commander, at the same time as an otaku spirit has possessed him. Mostly serious, except for otaku "Toshi".

119 - Hijikata looking for a place to smoke turns into a Dragonball parody.

125 - Cherry Blossom Viewing. Yorozuya and Shinsengumi fight over a prime viewing spot.

157-163 - Otsu. Shinpachi and Hijikata’s otaku spirit compete over who will lead idol Otsu’s fan club. Especially watch 162-163 for the Ashita no Joe references and the hilarious Yu-Gi-Oh! card battle parody.

166 - Hijikata and Gintoki are handcuffed.

182-184 - Popularity Contest. Not everyone is happy with the results of the latest character polls. The character ranking numbers hover near them through the arc. Great example of how the show breaks the 4th wall.

189b - Radio Exercises. Kagura made a promise, and won’t quit summer radio exercises even as the weather turns. You’ll need those tissues again.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
It should be OK for Mike. He has seen a fair number of classic series to get the references.

IMO Gintama is noob repellent. If you aren't seasoned, don't bother.

The beginning of the series starts in 4:3, (I hear it's one of the first red flags of the new era.) There are injokes like Keroro had injokes. An absolute explain-a-thon like for people trying to get into Zetsubo sensei, some people won't get it. Also old man jokes. I don't see new people getting into Gintama.

It's also got a bunch of the trans stereotypes the LGBTQ peeps might not appreciate.

Gintama hits in every direction. If you have the temperance, start from the beginning and power through. It's got some great music to look forward to. You will not be let down if you like to laugh.

People have tried Gintama since it's inception and we hear the same thing over and over throughout the years.

One Piece spoiler[is an giant adventure. it's not just some anime. You can't compare it to Naruto (but since it's being compared.) There is a reason One piece is #1. If you want to break that down it's 6 seasons - EastBlue, Alabasta, Sky Island, Water 7, Thriller Bark and Summit War. Then it timeskips, 36 arcs, Ep 1-516 Which would be like Naruto then jumping to Shippuden, after the timskip Seasons 7-9 -Fishman Island, Pirate alliance and whatever the new is called. 6 arcs Ep 517-777 (current) Once you have gotten into one piece it's not very long despite the obviously large episode count. Then it pulls a george lucas on you when you watch it again (that's right) there are all sorts of characters that were there all along which is a treat to see. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3