• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Biohazard (Resident Evil) CG Anime Film Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd done this from the beginning, but as the Russians say nichivo. (I think that's the right spelling anyway.)

It'll be interesting to see more details about this. It would be great, if it does well, to see the past games revisited in this format and maybe bring a little more connectivity to the Biohazard/Resident Evil universe. I hope that when it's finished, we'll see it released here in the land of R1 DVDs.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for an anime feature of Resident Evil. I love Resident Evil. Hope the movies stay somewhat true to the game story.
Expectations are high.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems everyone wants to do a CG animated feature. Now the question is will it be better than the live-action ones? But you know doing realistic CGI tends to be a bit quirky. If it's "stylized" in a more simpler fashion it could work.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it doesn't feature Alice and it will be released stateside.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Here's my question regarding this movie. Will it be done ala Final Fantasy and the Spirits Within? IMO, that was a great movie, even if it did bomb at the box office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So it will be an original story but will it still fall within the game's universe? I hope it will. If not, then they're basically just milking the name of a popular franchise and tacking it on to a rather unrelated movie. (ie. the live-action north american adaptions.) I've always thought if they could have just as easilly made the same movie without the name and a few terms then they ought to have just done so. (ie. again, the live-action adaptations.)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I hear you ikillchicken. The live-action movies left a lot to be desired. The thing that bothered me most about them was the complete waste that the original characters became. I didn't mind the first movie so much but the second just shafted the "real" characters. If they wanted to make a super girl movie, they could have done it without labeling it Resident Evil. (And I actually kind of like the Alice character. I just liked Chris, Jill, Claire, Leon, and Wesker so much better. Heck, I liked Rebecca Chambers better!)

I'm just hoping this CG movie will be nice and gory. The games had some of the freakiest monsters. (Heck I think Dr. William Birkin from RE/Bio 2 inspired spoiler[Dr. Shiraishi's] monstrous transformation in Tokko.) The plot of each game was solid and the characters were extremely interesting, so having all of that brushed aside by Hollywood has always been a pain.

I'm looking forward to seeing this original movie because I want to see characters like the originals and a movie that feels more like the games than the live-action ones. About the only thing they got right were the monsters and even then it wasn't perfect.

By the way, if anyone is willing to translate that announcement, I'll be ever so grateful.
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
LOL Rather than a move I had always wished for a long-running Resident Evil anime series.

I did enjoy the live-action Trilogy, even if they were hardly related to the real plot. It's good in its own way.

I hope the CGI would be photo-realistic like Spirits Within.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping we'd get one from Madhouse. Crying or Very sad I just hope this one's not as racist as part 5. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just hope this one's not as racist as part 5. Rolling Eyes

Oh god please tell me you're kidding.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
GATSU wrote:

He's probably dead serious about that one, as he always seems to be. Anyways I think with a CG version they'll definetly be more free in how the storyline goes. I had been hoping that there would be an anime version of RE, so I'm happy. I just hope that they come up with a really good story for sure.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
GATSU wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RE5screenshot-1-.jpg

I'm sure every Klan member and white supremacist are creaming their pants over this one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
GATSU wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RE5screenshot-1-.jpg

I'm sure every Klan member and white supremacist are creaming their pants over this one.

Yeah, I'm completely familiar with the controversy thankyou and its a big old steaming load of crap. Just a bunch of overly sensitive people who go around looking for something to take offense at so they blow this way out of proportion. You didn't hear any white people bitching durring all the years Resident Evil fans were killing white zombies. I didn't hear anyone complain when Resident Evil 4 came out and they were killing spanish zombies. Yet ofcourse, they dare to have a game in which you're killing black zombies and ho boy! They're in trouble. I look at people who come up with this game. Then I look at the people getting offended by this. I think its fairly obvious which group is the one that is truely all hung up on race. Oh well, at least the T-Virus doesn't discriminate. /=
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:
I didn't hear anyone complain when Resident Evil 4 came out and they were killing spanish zombies.

That's cus they were wondering why the only black guy in part 2 and DC were the first to be killed. But I guess they're just copying us. Rolling Eyes
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Seeing as how the live-action Resident Evil bombed. I really don't has high hopes for this flim. And did Final Fantasy tried this type of stunt and fail.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3