• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Masamune-kun's Revenge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I really felt for Neko this episode. I guess what Masamune sensed wasn't her pretending to like him, but the healthy facade she puts up around others. What a way to misinterpret her...Poor girl. Hope she turns up okay next episode...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Adagaki is perhaps the most spiteful/bitchy lead female in a harem I have seen. Sheesh, someone smack that tsundere. Still, I enjoy Morgan's voice of her in the dub.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
That middle scene! The tension, the lack of music, the muted dialogue, the subtle bits of movement had me riveted Shocked. So I agree, the best scene of this series so far.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Adagaki is perhaps the most spiteful/bitchy lead female in a harem I have seen. Sheesh, someone smack that tsundere. Still, I enjoy Morgan's voice of her in the dub.

She's actually less spiteful/bitchy than Masazu in Oreshura. Same VA though I think.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
And now we enter endgame. spoiler[Altho I expected she had history with Masamune, I admit surprise that it seems like she also fell in love with chubby Masamune. Apparently he was quite the player as a grade schooler]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Didn't Futaba say that she confessed and got rejected in the manga? :O
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
I really like the tone of this week's show, even though the sick girl cliche reared its head. But I was annoyed by the fat doppleganger at the end. I like the honest moments of this show and the soap opera tricks ain't them.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
But I was annoyed by the fat doppleganger at the end. I like the honest moments of this show and the soap opera tricks ain't them.

I agree with this, but I'm glad we're getting him out of the way since he's been in the OP all along. I am a little surprised that he is pretending to BE Makabe, since I expected him to just be someone who (for whatever reason) actually knows at least part of the deal between Aki&Makabe when they were kids and playing it to his advantage. (ie. formerly skinny kid who has made himself fat since he knows what Aki "liked" in contrast with Makabe who went from fat to skinny because he THOUGHT she hated that he was fat) Clearly he is aware of some of the details (like Yoshino) but I'm curious how he's expecting his ruse to work, since one would think he can't pretend that he IS Makabe forever.
Ronie Peterson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, the reviewers will want to take something seriously out of the work? Knowing that the premise is comedy, and it has to abound?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
^
Anime series that are at least ostensibly comedies turning serious in their later stages is a commonly-used and long-standing tradition in anime. This series is just following in the footsteps of dozens (if not hundreds!) of predecessors on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
I actually think Yoshino is sorry for not being more forthcoming about information re: Aki. I think right now that her original goal was to help them get together, but she was slow playing it because both of them clearly needed to get past some issues and I think she regrets not telling Makabe certain info sooner due to the current circumstances.

That said, my biggest issue with the current turn is that a) it reinforces my support for Neko and b) it basically wrecks my suspension of disbelief right now. I could totally accept that Makabe was confused and THINKS he hates Aki but really loves her. I could've rolled with it either way regarding Yoshino's motives. But I simply cannot reconcile that Aki actually has ALWAYS loved Makabe, and yet (unlike Neko) does not recognize him AT ALL even though he HAS THE SAME NAME.

So basically:
-Makabe recognized Aki right from the word go
-Yoshino remembers Makabe enough to reveal the "pigs foot" nickname
-Neko recognized Makabe and knew exactly who he was from childhood
(but)
-Aki who has only ever loved one boy (Makabe) hasn't been able to connect the dots?!? And now instead is totally willing to go along with "new guy" simply because he is "fat" (like Makabe WAS) and gave himself the "Masamune" nickname?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
^ I still don't like Neko much (maybe because she reminds me of Akane in Scum's Wish? Dunno.), but I have to agree with everything else here.

The same name thing has bothered me from the beginning, in that meeting a guy named Masamune Makabe didn't seem to trigger the faintest memory of her long lost love (or hate, as it seemed at the start). If it were only a first or last name, maaaaaybe, or if he were flying under a different name, ok, but he's right out there in the open, with only his weight and confidence having changed. I don't care how common a name Masamune Makabe might be.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that either the first or second episode stated that Makabe had a partial name change to deliberately obfuscate his past identity.

I'll agree that Aki not recognizing him, when both Yoshino and Neko did, is a stretch, but not too much of one. (I'm so terrible myself at associating names and faces that I could see me not recognizing Makabe under those same circumstances.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
being a manga rader I can't talk aobut the plot, but boy do Ihave some experience wiht teh subject of fatness and highschool.

in my highschool, there were two pretty fat guys and also there was another fat guy who fits the bill of the new character better, both of us were like 4 inches taller than the one bing mentioned in the review, I weighted 50 something kgs while he weighted 60 , Iw as obviously skinny as I exercised a lot, but he, on the other hand, did not exercise at all (to the extreme of taking his car for 50 yard trips on lazy days) so the 10 extra kgs being mostly fat madehim look pretty fat as most of that was on his belly/fat, tho he did not have fat legs/arms, just not as skinny as mine back then.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'll agree that Aki not recognizing him, when both Yoshino and Neko did, is a stretch, but not too much of one. (I'm so terrible myself at associating names and faces that I could see me not recognizing Makabe under those same circumstances.)

I was totally rolling with the "not recognizing" bit up till the latest episode. The two items that put it into "unbelievable" territory for me are:
1. Her sudden revelation of "Masamune was the love of her life" (that wasn't entirely unexpected but how much she professes his importance makes it a stretch)
2. The new person immediately revealing as (fake) "Masamune". They even slightly lampshade it by noting that we HAVE 2 Masamunes now so they shouldn't call the new one "Masamune"

I just find it a ridiculous stretch that Aki would just get completely devoted/submissive to a new "fat guy" simply because "fat" and "calls self Masamune", that is LITERALLY the extent of why she's going along with this from what we're given. And yet REAL Masamune has been courting her relentlessly for the entirety of the show and she never makes the connection that he's doing so BECAUSE he's the real Masamune? That just strains belief for me. (still enjoying the show, but that kills Aki+Makabe as an endpoint for me)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5