• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - 2/28/2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Boy, Luna's in full snob mode, isn't she? Glad she's still being portrayed as the antagonistic one.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Oh gosh, I think Luna is me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
I bet Luna would hate my choices, as I'm a whatever strikes my fancy sort of person, with a lean towards Shonen and Magical Girls.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Haha! Suzumiya Haruhi, Higurashi, and Toradora! are mine; two out of three are light novel adaptations and the other is a "sound novel" series which is probably just as bad in Luna's eyes. Fun stuff. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
the other is a "sound novel" series which is probably just as bad in Luna's eyes.

She'd probably lump that together with visual novels in general.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Perry on not wanting to commit to a top three since I watch so many shows. I had decided on a top three elsewhere on the site (Eva, GiTS:SAC, Space Brothers) but I could really put a number of other titles there. Even if I whittle it down to just the shows I have given the highest rating, that's still 76 shows (or about 6% of all shows I have rated) going by the lower number between the two anime list sites I use (MAL and Anime-Planet, I really have to reconcile them). I don't know that I would consider all or even most of those for my top three, but even a modest fraction would be a good deal of shows to decide between, some of which are a bit like comparing apples and oranges, considering their different genres and sources of appeal. So I don't think I have or ever will have a unquestioned, rarely changing top three.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Though I agree with Luna that the glut of wish fulfillment stuff (light novel or otherwise) makes it difficult for anime to get itself out of its box, her attitude about it is grating to me. I know each of these comics are just a short snippet of a larger story/arc, though, so I'm curious to see what they do with it.

pluvia33 wrote:
the other is a "sound novel" series

I've never heard of a sound novel before. I'm curious, what is that, exactly?
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:

Basically since the (original) visuals of Higurashi were nothing to write home about, Ryukishi07 wanted to emphasize that the sound effects were what brought the immersion instead of the visuals. Not that the sound effects were really that great either - calling it that was really probably Ryukishi07's way of preempting the "Hey, this isn't a visual novel, there's no CGs and the art is crap!" complaint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Haha, oh Luna. I can smell the condescension from here.

My #1 has been immutable since 2007, when I first watched Princess Tutu. My #2 has been immutable since 2011, when I first watched Madoka Magica. (Geezus, more time has passed since PMMM than in the time between PT and PMMM - that feels unreal). #3 has rotated around between a few (Gurren Lagann, Rose of Versailles), but I think it may have just hit its immutable mark with Yuri!!! on Ice. The show isn't perfect or brought me to tears like my other top anime (and if feels a bit like jumping the gun since the show is not even half of a year old), but it's left such a strong impact in both my life and fandom that it's hard not to give the spot to it.

Then again, I can be pretty picky and obsessive/focused in how I approach my entertainment, so it makes sense that I'd approach favorites and lists in the same way.

EDIT: And all three of my current top three are original anime. In fact of the 5 I mentioned, only one is an adaptation of another work (RoV), which is a manga. If I were to rough guess a Top 10 at the moment - I really need to make a post in errinundra's thread at some point - then I'd probably list off PT, PMMM, YoI, Millennium Actress, Whisper of the Heart, TTGL, Kyousougiga, Blood Blockade Battle, Soul Eater, and RoV. Of those, 6 are original properties and 4 are based on existing manga (WotH, BBB, SE, and RoV). And with BBB, I absolutely loved the anime original stuff that Rie Matsumoto brought to the table. So, apparently, I have a preference.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
SejinPK wrote:

Basically since the (original) visuals of Higurashi were nothing to write home about, Ryukishi07 wanted to emphasize that the sound effects were what brought the immersion instead of the visuals. Not that the sound effects were really that great either - calling it that was really probably Ryukishi07's way of preempting the "Hey, this isn't a visual novel, there's no CGs and the art is crap!" complaint.

There's also no choices. I think Higurashi came out before Planetarian, which I believe was the first one labelled as a "kinetic novel" with no choices, so there wasn't a predefined term to use.

But yeah, Higurashi is basically an audiobook that happens to have pictures.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Granted, it seems at least most of his choices wouldn't be seen as wish-fulfillment. Now I haven't seen/read Log Horizon yet, but Spice and Wolf doesn't fit that mold Luna seems to not care for, and Re:Zero DOES have the character get to hang with plenty of attractive women (though there's plenty of guys as well) but he's not an automatic chick magnet and even furthermore I doubt many sane readers/viewers would wish to be in his shoes given the physical/psychological horrors he has to endure.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
Though I agree with Luna that the glut of wish fulfillment stuff (light novel or otherwise) makes it difficult for anime to get itself out of its box, her attitude about it is grating to me.

It's a very common attitude, unfortunately. What I appreciate most about how this comic is being presented is that, at least in my opinion, a few years ago Luna's attitude was reflective of ANN as a whole. The preview guides would mostly lambast any fanservice heavy show, one reviewer going so far to say that anyone who liked a certain show (I believe it was High School DxD) lacked taste. They even had to pull in an outside reviewer to do the first season of Strike Witches because none of them could look past the pants thing to judge the show's merits.

Happily ANN these days feels much more tolerant and open. The old ANN would never give something like Keijo more than a dismissive sneer but it got streaming reviews which were largely positive. So even if Luna isn't a direct reference to the ANN of old it's still nice that now they look upon such attitudes and portray it negatively.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Luna's in for some bad times if the data she has is accurate. Those three sold VERY well.

Also... I would not consier Re:Zero to be wish fulfillment. At leasy not MY wished. Maybe if you're into harcore guro...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much like Perry; I watch so many shows, I could never find myself committing to just a Top 10, let alone a Top 3. Luna's judgemental mood is a portrayal of some people that have a distaste toward anime shows that are primarily cute and/or were based on light novels. Fortunately, I've seen this problem occurring much less frequently now...
piebaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I get Luna's point about otaku wish fulfillment and LN adaptations (at some point I held the same opinions as her esp around the time SAO came out) but I like to think that I mellowed out and sort of just drifted to things I'd enjoy? Like, I very much love stuff like Utena and Joker Game (which seem to be her kind of thing), but I won't say I wasn't entertained by things like Re:Zero or NGNL.

All in all, I think the key to still enjoying anime is to be a little less hoity-toity about what the "standard otaku crowd" drifts to. The shows they like might not be your cup of tea, but it doesn't mean you have to be all judgmental towards people who genuinely enjoy them.

Vaisaga wrote:
It's a very common attitude, unfortunately. What I appreciate most about how this comic is being presented is that, at least in my opinion, a few years ago Luna's attitude was reflective of ANN as a whole. The preview guides would mostly lambast any fanservice heavy show, one reviewer going so far to say that anyone who liked a certain show (I believe it was High School DxD) lacked taste.

I thought about this too! I'm glad that ANN grew into a site that gives coverage to different kinds of shows.

Before I forget though, Just want to say that I'm really loving the new art style! The solid lines and colors really make it pop out and the expressions definitely have more life to them. Looking forward to more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2