• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Girls On Parade

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
The title of this made me instatly think: girls on film.

Hmm...
I'm going to vent on the Ultimate Editions.

Why the heck did they do this so late? They could do this with all their books. Heck- go back and toss Paradise Kiss into two big Ultimate editions.

It's a good idea for those who haven't gotten into them but their huge. Plus the whole hardback thing makes it a little difficult to read things that end up where the page goes into the binding. (I hope that makes sense)

Also the binding itself seems cheap. (yeah I know) and I fear that trying to read it is going to rip out the pages or tear the glue from the hardcover part...

*sigh* Even with all this anger i'm still going to pick up the Battle Royal one.

As for the other mangas mentioned- HIKKATSU! looks great. I can't wait to read it.

I haven't picked up a School Rumble manga but it seems like its worth checking out- I love the show. So how do the two add up? Is one superior to the other or is it a win win situation?

Good job as always!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
Already watched the anime dubbed (quite well) in Tagalog, so that's colored my perception of the characters a bit (particularly Jenny Bituin as Suzuka). The manga art's a little more distinctive, though the fan service does get a bit distracting. Got all five volumes out so far, just waiting for the point where the anime leaves off.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Some day, I might have to give Furaba another try. I've read the first volume and it didn't appeal to me all that much (pretty much for all the reasons stated against the series in the column). But with all the attention it gets, it does seem to be worth a second chance. Maybe this version will help with that, though since I have read the first one I think maybe I might just go buy volume 2.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
how could the author make such a sugguestion as tokyopop being anything but kind, wonderful people with artists. Surely they care so much for their wonderful works that they just throw buckets of cash at them, and are the most wonderful employer in the world. It just couldn't be that Tokyopop would do something like treat an artist like an endentured servent Wink
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I figured I was safe & didn't worry much because the High School was an evac center, but when they evacuated some friends 3 streets north, I spent all Monday night packing anime, deciding what I could re-buy if I had to...I didn't get close to the manga(I was figuring throw it in a back into the back of the truck in garbage sacks...)
Did you know you can usually fit 2 dvds on the spindal & another 2 separated by the inserts in the lid in a standard dvd box? Do you know in 12 hours, you can't come close to dealing with more than about 1000 dvds?
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangka is so AWESOME. I'm glad you're bringing attention to it.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
The title of this made me instatly think: girls on film.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Bulls on Parade"

That thingie you did for best manga seems nifty. Might have to look into that.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Manga-ka in MY RTO? It's mo--

Wait, what the hell is it doing here? Regardless, it's pretty awesome that you mention it, Carlo. Some of the chapters are hit-or-miss; Karasawa seems to run out of steam later on but the overall package is fun.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
Carlo Santos wrote:
—it's more like Tohru just farts around and meets various Sohma family members while trying to guess what their Zodiac animal is.

Eh?! Er...that's an, uuuhhh...strange way to describe Tohru (the "farts around" part I mean...). I suppose that I can see how some people would only be able to see Tohru as not doing much except being the person sort of "playing" the game "Which Zodiac Animal Are They?" for the benefit of the reader who is also sort of playing that game as they are learning about the characters. That makes sense to me, since the beginnings of stories tend to be the "labor pains" part, both for the writer trying to start and introduce the story and for the reader trying to enter and grow comfortable within the different world of the story. So for people who aren't used to shojo, or people who don't like shojo, or people who only like strong and active protaganists, etc., etc., it's going to be harder for them to deal with the "labor pains" than for people who only read shojo, or people who adore shojo, or people who are willing to accept a different sort of protagonist. At least, that's one way I can see the situation as both a reader and writer.

As for Tohru: she is interestingly controversial for someone who's supposed to be such a passive protagonist. Smile I think that it may be that readers who recognize that they are more passive than other people, or are more emotionally intelligent than scholarly, or are lonely, or love to make other people happy more than anything else in the world, etc., will have a better chance of connecting with Tohru. And I am happy that Fruits Basket gives those people, including me, that chance--the chance to see a protagonist who acts more like they do and to see how that type of protagonist deals with the problems they encounter on the road of life. Although they are not glaringly obvious, there are moments where the true depth of Tohru's character are revealed in the first two volumes (in this case, the first ultimate volume). Tohru is a misfit in this story, just as the Sohmas are, and this is further emphasized by her being considered a misfit protagonist. Tohru is sincerely kind, embraces people who are different, chooses to do janitorial work to help support herself rather than solely depending upon other people (her Grandpa, the Sohmas...), and--considering the fact that she is such a sensitive and emotional person who has encountered a devastating loss--I would say that she is very strong...strong enough to think postively and be happy, no matter how dense or silly she might seem to be while doing so.

Ah, I remember how much I enjoyed Natsuki Takaya's artwork back when I first started reading the series...I just really loved the character designs and the way the characters were positioned for some reason...I still do. I really love the line marks that curve under the eyes on some of the characters; I miss that in her more recent character artwork. And it's fun to see how her artwork evolves and changes over the course of the series.

Sigh...I was seriously considering purchasing the Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition Vol. 1 because I thought it would be nice to have a hardcover version (it is one of my most favorite manga and hardcovers tend to last longer), because the pages are larger (maybe someday when I'm older, the print won't be so easy to read in the paperbacks and it showcases more of the details in the artwork), and because it shows a little bit more of the parts that were cut off in the paperback versions. But...the darn thing is rather large and it's probably not a great quality hardback, so who knows how long it would last? It would still be nice to see the parts that were cut off on the sides in the paperback versions, though, but perhaps they do that in the Japanese versions of the paperbacks, too, and the only totally uncut versions would be the originals in the manga magazines???? I didn't even know that the artwork was cut off on the tops, bottoms, and sides (not the sides on the binding side) until I flipped through a few versions of Fruits Basket Vol. 17 and noticed that on one panel, Akito had more of a nose and lips in some versions than in others (I guess it all depends on how the machine cuts 'em). I used one of the Japanese verions of the two FB fanbooks that I have to make a comparison to the Vol. 17 I bought, and I saw that in the full version, the whole front of Akito's profile is shown, which I hadn't seen in any of the Vol. 17's that I looked through. I compared the fanbooks to other panels in other FB volumes, and saw similar cropping. Sigh...I guess the shape of the manga magazine pages is different from the standard tankoubon size, so they have to change it...but still... I guess that's the only reason I might still get the FB Ultimate Edition 1, even if the panels on the inside edges might be obscured due to the hardback binding, because I could see those parts in the paperbacks (for the most part, I think--it's usually pretty easy to see the panels near the binding in the paperbacks).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
I think I'd sell my right kidney to see Tsutomu Nihei's Fruits Basket.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to check out HIKKATSU! since those banners started popping up on this site a couple of weeks ago. Same author as Those Who Hunt Elves I hear. I still miss that one.

I saw most of the new Tokyopop Ultimate Edition graphic novels at Borders last weekend. Warcraft and Battle Royale were shrink wrapped so I couldn't look inside. Fruits Basket looked pretty crappy, actually. The binding was cheap and the paper that Tokyopop uses looks terrible when it's printed at a larger size. I felt like I was holding one of those "Classic Literature" for kids novels they sell at the Dollar Store. That being said I might buy Battle Royale later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1