• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akiba's Trip: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

PC otaku, especially the crowd into building their own PCs. For various reasons though I have just been the person who gets prebuilt laptops.

I think the best part of the robot, Pyuko, is that it was so derpy looking, and its female avatar so simple, kind of like that idol was in an earlier episode. I actually found myself occasionally rewinding back because I felt like I missed something. Like when Tomatsu is in the computer store you can see the clerk behind him grow increasingly annoyed as he goes on a tangent, while not really a lot of animaion, I find is a nice touch.

Got a bit Iron Giant at the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
That was a pretty amazing episode. This time up, it was the wonderful world of self-built computers. There was a lot of humour, but some real emotion, too. Not gonna lie, I choked up at Pyuko's final line: "This is Akiba... Pyuko learned." It occurred to me that Tamotsu could just build another computer and use the Professor's OS, but then that wouldn't be "his" Pyuko.

This show is 1,000 better than I would ever have guessed based on its first episode. Everybody picked up on the pun in Akiba's Trip - Akiba Strip - but actually Akiba's Trip really is the true title. This is a love letter to the real Akiba and every week we take a trip through one of the city's facets in a really funny and informed way. This title is the surprise of the season for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Trading card game nerd here, and all of the references were great. I think the best was how they set it up to be like Yugioh with all of the holograms, and crazy way of acting with style, only to show that it is actually a fantasy with them just playing on a table made out of boxes. Probably a number of things only understood from being in the know such the impatiently asking the opponent to hurry up, talk of banned cards, and the meta flow of the game. My experience with TCG has been with Yugioh, both show and the game, I got what was mentioned about leaving after changes. The blue eyed guy was a reference to Blue Eyes White Dragon, summoning three cards in one turn, out of nowhere counters, heart of the card coming into play, acting or taking damage from playing a children's card game, and him pulling out a BS card that is totally broken.

And Arisa is still great, she has an unpacking channel. And all the random circle breaker girls.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
Loved it and I don't even play battle card games (eons ago I played Magic a few times). What I really like about this show is when it goes into spoof mode it does so very skilfully. It doesn't just hit the low lying fruit jokes, but goes deeper. You get the sense that the writers really understand the subject as opposed to working from some preconceived and generic idea of what is being spoofed. Loved watching all the circle crushing girls in action - how they all had their different methods depending on the circle they were crushing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Been getting a lot of rain and some wind left over from a cyclone that hit up north, which I am pretty sure has dealt a hit to the internet today for watching the last episode, creating stopping and starting or really low stream quality. Which has me wondering if it was giving a hit to enjoying the end of this series. I did enjoy all of this, the crazy stuff the professor gets the girls to sing with Mayo's sister just joining in because she may have hit her head a bit, and creating a giant form to fight. Although I also kind of feel like something was maybe missing from the execution, something prevented it from being quite good enough.

Rather than any plot, I think that the show was most enjoyable when it was being fun, that it could be as silly as it wanted with a smirk on its face as if to joke that it is even doing what it is. To me that made the two best characters of the show were Arisa and the professor. I think especially the professor, who tended to make me actually laugh with all of her ridiculous entrances with a Segway, that is that she shows up in random places while riding a Segway, and her calling her own part out like that that was she was doing was a deus ex machina. The VA's performance is quite reminiscent of her role as Kate in World Conquest Zvezda, and has the same sort of humour of being childish while in an adult role.

I feel like a rating of Decent (6/10), was not a high quality anime, but I had fun with it, and I do think it had its moments. Things to do with otaku culture was a fun element. I look back at Gonzo's other project with Earphones, Seiyu's Life, and I kind of like this trio, and I would like to see a continuation of things into the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2