• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seiren (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episoda 6:

For some reason, my instinct to punch boringmaincharacter-kun every time I saw his face was at an elevated level this entire episode. It doesn't help that Tsuneki stops by to remind me of what an interesting person might behave like in a show like this. It definitely doesn't help that I find eyepatch kid way more fun than undifferentiated-paste-kun. I bet their interactions are about 10x as much fun to watch than this docking of poorly animated, awkwardly moving Gundams. The best lines are being given to the faceless designers of the Deer Simulator game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
It would be great if he had a personality beyond safe insert character who's only quirk is having thoughts of girls and trying to heavily deny it. Giving girl space and not really doing anything.

Her personality thing, looks like it may be she does not have a good safety measure for amount of effort or time put into games, she gets a little too into it.

I don't understand what the big deal with the disciplinary committee was, like they are not allowed to hang out at arcades or something under the threat of that one girl's power to doll out punishment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
As long as that pathetic numbnuts from Fuuka is around, this MC won't seem so bad to me. I didn't think Tsuneki would feature all that prominently in this arc, but it's nice to see her again (since a brief flash of her disguised was all we got last week). And I guess Araki is a furry in this timeline, too...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
well, he's probably been one well before high school, so that's unlikely to be reset
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
My problem with MC is that he lacks personality or character when compared to this show's predecessor, Junichi of Amagami SS. We have some reason to care for Junichi's romances because of his failed attempt but with this MC, there's not really a reason to watch and root for him. He's too much of a blank slate who continually blushes even at the scent of a female which irks me.

That aside, I like the current episodes of the arc so far. They do hint at more with the comments from Tsuneki and the cram school stuff so I wonder if it's home problems that Toru has. Tsuneki's comments hinted at something more sinister -- I assumed it was something along the lines of leading multiple guys on but they cleared that up so I'm lost. I did enjoy the jokes at the rabbit shed, too, and especially the nod to the knee scene from Amagami SS (which I assume it is a nod to). Hopefully the conflict and eventual conclusion won't be a big disappointment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
I think Tsuneki's hints have to do either with the fact that Toru's gaming obsession eventually drag her friends down in that they start neglecting school work or other things to keep up with her or that her method of winning games alienate people and cause trouble for her companions.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Tsuneki: Well, it's hard to get close to Toru, because she crushes egos.

FluffyPillow: Hey, no problem! That'd only be an issue for a dude with a spine, the ability to assert himself, a belief that being in contact with a female in any context is not always some incredibly unique situation, or anything interesting about him at all. It's like a match made in heaven!

I suppose I never saw a show which explicitly presented the rubbery blob's complete lack of character as the reason he's compatible with a chick, so I guess that's fresh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
The gamer girl kicking a guy's ass is a sort of trope, and a lot of guys have egos that can be really hurt by not being the strong one even in games. It is not like she seems to try and throw in the faces of people, so really it is the people taking offence who have a problem. It does seem good that she kind of started to limit herself a bit. Do wonder about his sister though who seems almost too on-board with her friend going after her little brother.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, Yttrbio, I knew you'd have the exact same reaction to that scene that I did. In fact, it along with him toting around a bunny, I now have to acknowledge that we are not supposed to take Shouichi seriously. The writers are clearly taking the piss on that type of character. Fuuka is an example of where the MC is a real deal pussy, but I no longer believe that Shouichi is in the same category. And if I was the school, I would NOT be letting Araki anywhere near the rabbit pen (brothel?).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

And so they lived happily as a kindergarten teacher and a bus driver for kindergarten children, and their daughter attending. So does he take his daughter with him when he leaves to drive the bus, however early that would be? Don't know why it was bothering me.

For a romance anime, this series sure does not want actual dating, "staying PG", but also having such phrases as "crotch fluff", and suss zippers. Didn't she know where the zipper was when she put it on? Kind of bothering me in logical fallacy moments, like how he could have easily went around the group of photographers instead of trying to go through it.

And really, what was the deal with how angry the first heroine was against the second? It was like she was acting like there was something else we did not know.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
By the way, Moe-nee was pretty hot in her GusGal costume. No "instakill" in the nether regions for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Ha ha, I think this show is growing on me. There was a lot of good humour this time out. Yes, I even chuckled at Captain Trek's conceptual banner art. It is kind of fun to pick up on the threads of things introduced in the earlier arcs and how they are different. I'm actually thinking of checking out the Amagami SS titles and even giving Photo Kano another shot.

There definitely some fun side characters in this arc, like the shady Home Ec club. I do feel ripped off, however, that we didn't actually get to see Moe-nee's pantsu when she was standing at the top of the stairs, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
First heroine seems to get a fair amount of time in each arc, while the other two I don't think even appeared until theirs. I kind of like the two members of the home-ec club, despite their brash dislike of our hero. At least the new heroine also seem to I think want a relationship with him.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I guess he's a lesbian this time? I guess that's fresh.

This chick's character design didn't give me much hope, but I'm liking this dynamic so far.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Eh, so in this timeline, MC's a cross-dresser. At least there's some personality there. That's one fun thing about watching every girl's arc -- figuring out the timeline of events and the hints of each girl's personalities. The girl playing with Takeshim Rin was her name IIRC, really resembled the Student Council President Ruise so I assume it her's younger sister. Her parts were the highlight of the episode for me -- especially the manga part.

As for Kyoko, she definitely has that not-so-maturish ring to her so it's a bit hard to see her as a romantic candidate. I'm going to attribute that to her body. Also, her character really gives me some Rihoko vibes so I'm not too hopeful about a fully romantic end even if they're hinting at that in the openings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3