• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Weekend With Nintendo Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm worried about the problems people are reporting:
-dead screen pixels out of the box
-the blue screen of death
-glitchy interface with lag and no-touch recognition
-the problem of it not recognizing games when you insert them
-the joycons not attaching firmly to the device and 'bending' off
-the dock being too cheap and scratching the actual handheld pretty badly
-the poor framerate when in full TV mode
-the arbitrary disconnection issues
-the disconnection when there is another electrical device in the room
-some consoles coming without joycons in the box
-the paint coming off easily from the device
-the known poor battery life (2.5 hours for Zelda)

It's quite shocking how many problems people are having.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Those sound like problems resulting from someone deciding that the product was "close enough" to completion. Unfortunately, when there are issues with a new product, it seems like the standard first response is that it "is only a small number of the total units," which does those affect no good.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Well the poor battery life seems like something that was always supposed to be like this, can the brightness be turned down and other stuff be done to save some battery life (turning off any motion control gimmick, lowering graphic setting)?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
1-2-Switch is probably one of the most embarrassing efforts from Nintendo in quite a while. It would've been fine if it was just bundled in with the System,but them charging $50 bucks for what is essentially a bunch of tech demos is pretty comically.

Switch doesn't seem worth it just for Zelda at the moment.With the Switch version having frame issues,so you could just get the Wii U version. Along with the joy-cons looking really uncomfortable to use (not surprising that Nintendo is charging $70 for the pro controller).
Nagsura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well the poor battery life seems like something that was always supposed to be like this, can the brightness be turned down and other stuff be done to save some battery life (turning off any motion control gimmick, lowering graphic setting)?

Does the thing even come with such options, specially when in handheld mode? I'd understand it maybe having a brightness setting since it's a bloody screen, but there'd be no motion control gimmick since you'd be using it as a handheld, and the idea of graphic settins on a console/handheld is ridiculous since it ain't a PC.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
meiam wrote:

Does the thing even come with such options, specially when in handheld mode? I'd understand it maybe having a brightness setting since it's a bloody screen, but there'd be no motion control gimmick since you'd be using it as a handheld, and the idea of graphic settins on a console/handheld is ridiculous since it ain't a PC.

I though Zelda had some gyroscope puzzle where you had to flip the console around to solve puzzle. And it wouldn't be too surprising for there to be a graphic option since nintendo is trying to sell it as a console/portable hybrid (which it isn't, it's a purely a portable, but there still trying to).
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
I though Zelda had some gyroscope puzzle where you had to flip the console around to solve puzzle. And it wouldn't be too surprising for there to be a graphic option since nintendo is trying to sell it as a console/portable hybrid (which it isn't, it's a purely a portable, but there still trying to).

It does. I was playing that one in bed while trying not to wake my wife.

It was challenging.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I try to avoid buying stuff on launch day. I did buy the PS1 the first day it was released (because of Wipeout, mostly), and on the third day, I had to take it in for repairs. Third! Day! The one I got as a replacement lasted maybe a week. I proceeded to basically take my PS1 in for repairs every month after that, more or less.

Eventually, they got it right, and the last PS1 I've bought still works just fine without any particular issues, and I bought that sucker around 12-14 years ago.

But yeah, no more console purchases on launch day. That's probably why my Xbox360 has never RRoDed on me (though I did eventually upgrade to the newer model -- partially because it was cheap and partially because of the "more than double amount of hard drive space" that came with it. And my old 360 was getting a bit noisy.)

Now, I don't think I'll be getting the Switch myself, but I do have a friend who most likely will, so I'm curious about the stick quality. Said friend once had the N64, while I got a Gamecube at some point, and both their respective joypads had a tendency for the analogue sticks to wear out really fast. I've never tried the ones for the Wii and WiiU.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Props to the post beta testers as usual for reporting the faults of the launch console.

The deal breaker is the dock not having some sort of cushion so as to avoid scratches on the tablet screen. Don't expect everyone to put it back into the base with deadly clean accuracy, Nintendo. Even the official screen protector doesn't seem to help much I heard.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Theres one line in this article that is nonsense.

That this is comparable in power to a current gen console.

The switch is part of a new generation all on its own, the xbox one and ps4 are last gen consoles.

Forget about the ps4 pro or upcoming xbox scorpio, the switch is not even in the ballpark with their lesser counter parts the original ps4 and xbox one.

So in summary not only is not comparable to a current gen console in power, its not even comparable to a last generation console in terms of power.

The fact is the switch is like everything else nintendo puts out, half assed gimmicks, that do a lot of things or unique things poorly. There are better portable options like tablets, better consoles, just because it does a couple things in one package does not make it worth anything.

I also suspect the Zelda reviews are grossly overrated, and its not a step forward for sandboxes, because from what I have seen the game has done nothing that AC, Red Dead, GTA, Skyrim, Fallout have done, it just does something zelda has never done, which apparently is good enough to get you the praise of the world.

Nintendo is like a child, it only wins the race because no self respecting parent is going crush their kid in a foot race like reality would dictate.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but other than a few frame rate drops in Zelda, I have had exactly none of the issues listed above. I got about 3.5 hours out of Zelda in handheld mode by simply turning the wifi off on the console and setting the screen brightness to about 3/4.

On another note, for anyone that is interested, you can buy the Japanese physical copies of I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5 and they will automatically revert to English text/audio when you pop them in your Switch, as long as you're Switch language is set to English.

Having done this myself, I now have Zelda, Bomberman, I am Setsuna, Disgaea 5, Shovel Knight and Fast RMX...easily enough launch games to keep me occupied until Snake Pass, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and Yooka-Laylee come out.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Props to the post beta testers as usual for reporting the faults of the launch console.

The deal breaker is the dock not having some sort of cushion so as to avoid scratches on the tablet screen. Don't expect everyone to put it back into the base with deadly clean accuracy, Nintendo. Even the official screen protector doesn't seem to help much I heard.

As far as the screen scratching goes...some people must really be pretty rough when docking their Switch to scratch the screen. I've had mine in and out of the dock about 50 times with not a single scratch.

Honestly, I think most of the people who are reporting these problems are just rough as guts with their machines...it surely can't be that hard to take care of them. I would put money on the fact that the people having screen issues (Loss of pixels, blue screens etc) have either dropped or cause some significant impact to their device to cause the issue.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
I got my Switch at launch and it's been nothing but a dream for me. I play on TV at home and take it to work to play in the break room, expectations met.

It's construction feels no worse then the New 3DS XL, and while I wish it had a hard plastic cover for protecting the screen in transit, I've had no issues with scratching my screen pulling it out of the dock.

Is the System under powered? Not compared to any previous portable system on the market. And it manages current gen HD just fine both on big and small screen. Developers rely too much on particle effects these days any way. Other consoles are just trash PCs any way, if graphics matter to you, don't play games on consoles.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Switch release reminds me of the Nintendo 64 release. Remember that? Its launch lineup was just Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. And that was it.

I got a Switch, but I haven't played it yet. I bought one because I have no idea when my next opportunity would be to get one if I had missed it. I also still have a bunch of Wii U games to go through.

meiam wrote:

if you mean graphical options like on a PC, that's not a standard in console gaming, as it's highly inconvenient for the developers. As in home and portable.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Theres one line in this article that is nonsense.

That this is comparable in power to a current gen console.

The switch is part of a new generation all on its own, the xbox one and ps4 are last gen consoles.

Forget about the ps4 pro or upcoming xbox scorpio, the switch is not even in the ballpark with their lesser counter parts the original ps4 and xbox one.

So in summary not only is not comparable to a current gen console in power, its not even comparable to a last generation console in terms of power.

The fact is the switch is like everything else nintendo puts out, half assed gimmicks, that do a lot of things or unique things poorly. There are better portable options like tablets, better consoles, just because it does a couple things in one package does not make it worth anything.

I also suspect the Zelda reviews are grossly overrated, and its not a step forward for sandboxes, because from what I have seen the game has done nothing that AC, Red Dead, GTA, Skyrim, Fallout have done, it just does something zelda has never done, which apparently is good enough to get you the praise of the world.

Nintendo is like a child, it only wins the race because no self respecting parent is going crush their kid in a foot race like reality would dictate.

Someones mad.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2