• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TIFF 2007 Hosts "Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor" Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Koji Yamamura is one of Japan's foremost independent animation filmmakers. His works have won a slew of international awards.

I have seen a few of Mr. Yamamura's works. They are indeed much different from the "typical" Japanese anime. Very original and creative.

Leading Japanese artists like Koji Yamamura, anime- and manga-inspired Superflat style founder Takashi Murakami, and animation filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki have received much critical acclaim from around the world.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
I took a picture of Yamamura accepting the award at the Ottawa International Animation Festival last month:

They screened some of the festival winners, including A Country Doctor after the Awards ceremony. The animation style reminded me a lot of The Hockey Sweater with heads distorting and getting bigger and smaller. To be frank, though, I had little idea of what was going on subtext-wise other than being vaguely aware of Kafka's stories in general being about the "system" making life hell for the ordinary citizen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
petran79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
you know besides all the commercial animes and anime screenings and the rich DVD collections there are also animation festivals were animators from all over the world participate in various cities.

Same occurs in film. The blockbuster movies and the various film festivals.

But such titles arent that lucrative and are only screened in art channels.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
you know besides all the commercial animes and anime screenings and the rich DVD collections there are also animation festivals were animators from all over the world participate in various cities. But such titles arent that lucrative and are only screened in art channels.

That's sad, sad, and sad.

That Ottawa IAF is just one of the many attempts to bring the world together on certain topics.

Unfortunately; when it comes to the media industry, we are all several worlds apart from each other. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1