• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
My assumption is that this is the new world that Kagari made, one on the wish of Kotaro, apparently based on Kotarou's wish. So far changes seem to be putting him as older than the rest. Although the story about that dog was rather sad in an almost too real way, and it is shaping this him. Apparently it will also get him into war zones.

Things did change quite a bit.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thank you, Cam0, for writing the exact post I would have written if I had gotten here first. If anybody, due to source material knowledge, can clue us in on wtf is going on, please feel free - using spoiler tags where appropriate, of course.
Oh, sure, no problem. No future spoilers here, but:

spoiler[Magic. Now quit complaining and start going "aww" at mini-Kotori.]
whatev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
Dunno how much you would like explained, spoiler[but the first part of the episode was a flash forward to a somewhat later part of Kotarou's life. The other parts shows Kotarou's adolescence. Both of these parts occurred before he met Kagari, got his arm severed, was revived as Kotori's familiar, and spent ten years of his life in a coma. The events shown occurred in all the routes; the differences specific to Terra route will occur about when he meets Kagari.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Thanks, whatev, that was helpful.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Now the Rewrite synopsis copypasta begins to make sense.* The show has finally become interesting for me and I don't really have much regrets sticking with it till now. It has been a mess and largely confusing but I think I'm beginning to grasp some things (even though it took 17 episodes).

*Regarding the copypasta synopsis, I'll paste it here in spoilers since I think it may spoil some general things coming forward in this "arc" so read at your own risk:

SPOILERISH SYNOPSIS

Quote:
spoiler[Rewrite tells the story of Kazamatsuri Bond, a 27 year old agent of U.N. Special Ops (UNSO). Bond was an edgy kid, he enjoyed killing bratty children's parents in front of them. He fought the terrorists of the Greenpeace conglomerate with every drop of his blood, no matter how many dinosaurs they had. Both factions were fighting over a nuclear device called the Lock, which could destroy the world. During one such battle Bond was defeated, and put into a coma because of the nuclear device.
Now at age 27, after waking from his coma, Bond decided fudge it and to enter school again, because he still looked like he was 17 from nuclear radiation. Well he actually has amnesia as a side effect, but he just wants to live it up at school like he never got to. He wanted to get a girlfriend, mess with his best friend, join a club, become a TV reporter and grope some girl's tits. To get all of this, he joined a club where he reported on Paranormal stuff with the other members.
Little did Bond know, the members were all undercover agents of UNSO and Terrorist Greenpeace! His childhood friend also turned out to be the girl whose parents he killed. Apparently she resurrected them into plant zombies, because she's a magical sage. One friend is a UNSO top agent, one friend has a servant who is Bond's alternative universe self, one friend is literally worse than Hitler, and one friend is a walking biohazard.
If that wasn't enough, the Lock turned up again, starting another war. The Lock is actually a cute deadpan girl, with an obsession for Bond. She sneaks into his bed at night and haunts him. To top it all off, Bond's blood is now nuclear residue which he can shape at will!
Now Bond must choose a side, but no matter what happens, the earth is fucked either way. Unless of course he can become a tree, build a canoe with his wood, fly it to the moon and terraform it. That would solve everything.
Written by Romeo Tanaka.]

/END SPOILERISH SYNOPSIS
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Finally this show makes sense!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 felt rather fast paced so I'm wondering if they're trying to cram every bit in before concluding the show. I do enjoy this arc about Kotarou since you finally understand why he's a bit annoying (being a busybody) in the first season. Things also sort of make more sense or is clearer -- specifically the meeting with Kagari, IIRC, the previous timeline he had his hand chopped off and events unfold as stated in Whatev's post.

I've also been paying a bit more attention to the opening so there are interesting details I've noticed, especially after the "spy" scene where it shows a split screen of Kotarou in Guardian and him being associated with another group, presumably Gaia. This also refers to the synopsis I posted earlier so my question is: does split scene a timeline in which Kotarou sticks with Gaia and -- here's my potentially spoilerish question (spoilered for safety) -- spoiler[would that mean Sakuya is an alternate timeline of Kotarou (the one in which he joins Gaia)?] I only noticed how alike they looked recently.
whatev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I sorta screwed up my previous spoiler answer. spoiler[The flash forward actually takes place after he makes the decision to not attack Kagari, so everything from this point on is unique to Terra route.
]

To answer the previous question, spoiler[Sakuya is the previous person who was able to rewrite himself, and in several ways he is similar to Kotarou, but he is not a different timeline version of Koutarou or anything like that.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

I'm not sure I've ever watched a second season of a show that was so basically different from the first. The first season had its flaws, of course, but I did enjoy the interaction between Kotarou and the girls and the humour. So little of that this time out. Oh well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
But this warzone episode did have strengths. Him being part of one of Guardian's mercenary groups, seeing the dirty side of organisation and that he won't stand for it. And then he is saving a bunch of kids who are roped into fighting and saving them from those who would do them harm. In the climate of modern life where you get a dingbat saying to kill the families of terrorists and like too, is maybe relevant.

Well, at least spoiler[all of the kids did not die].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

I just... don't... get this show. I meant to mock this last week but ended up forgetting - re: Kotaro using Clark Kent logic and deciding to "disguise" himself by wearing classes. Ooooo, there's a high level infiltration technique, right there!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Didn't he say that he does not just use glasses but controls his blood to change his facial features, gaining the drooping eyes?

In a lot of ways I don't even know what to say about each episode, it is all so different from the first season that it is hard to get a sense of normalcy. Like actually get a handle of the relationships. In general he is more moodier this season, unlike his kind of mocking yet earnest side that he had in most of the first season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't see the point of this season. The overall goal is the same: prevent Kagari from having to destroy the world (although that goal didn't become obvious until later on in season 1) But there is very little continuity from season 1, including the stuff that I actually liked. As you say, DP, there is not as much light-hearted humour; there is virtually no relationship with the other girls, except sporadically, to see the younger versions of some of them, and even Kotaru's relationship with Kagari, although present, is really zero fun. This really seems like a completely pointless second season, narratively speaking.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it since I like the whole idea behind the timeline stuff (and Suzuki Bond's spy life) though I can agreed with the sentiments about the other girls being pushed aside. That said, this episode had my eyes rolling. I guess the Earth has a lot of pent up sexual energy hence Kagari's frustrations. I'm kind of hoping the show gets pass this constant back and forth of tracking Gaia/Guardian and onto more interesting things, like the last bit in the synopsis I posted a while back -- I'd watch that part.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 11 Final

*shrug*

Stuff happened, it wasn't fun but it's finally over. Good riddance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6