Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle
Thread KillerThread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Over the last couple of weeks I have spent about 50 hours playing Stardew Valley, one of the most addicting games ever. It was inspired by the Harvest Moon games but is so much more detailed. Looking through the official wikia for it shows how much is going on in this game which, incredibly, was developed by one person.

I bought a bunch of games from the spring sale at gog.com. One I tried that I really enjoyed is Bastion, a platform hack & slasher with some RPG elements (the character gains XP to level up and you can craft improvements to weapons). It has really a really beautiful art style as well.
Hitkid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Last thing I played was Final Fantasy VII. I'm doing an initial equip run.

In general I'm also doing VIII for the first time, and various PKMN games (latest to be gotten was Emerald, which came with a dead battery apparently -_-)
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I have spent about 11 hours the past 3 days playing Path of Exile. This is a free-to-play clone of Diablo II and since that was once my favorite game I have really enjoyed PoE (except for when the game crashed during a boss fight).

I have also been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Pinball FX2 and today (Friday) I started on the remastered version of BioShock.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Got my first JRPG today: Tales of Berseria, which I played for about 3 hours. Although I had to sit through a lot of cut scenes overall I am enjoying this so far.
classicalzawa
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
Got my first JRPG today: Tales of Berseria

Wait, have you never played a JRPG before? I just kind of assumed all the anime people played JRPGs too (even if it's just Pokemon).

As for me, Persona 5 comes out in mere hours! I have been avoiding spoilers like the plague, and it is nearly time! Get ready, PS4! I should really go charge my controller, just to be safe. And yes, I am getting the "Take Your Heart" super special awesome edition. I don't get to get super special awesome editions often, so I take advantage here and there. I'm glad the review have been really good for it too, tonight is gonna be awesome!!!
classicalzawa
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I beat Persona 5, woohoo! This was after a rather large incident involving my PS4 bricking itself almost 6 hours in, so I actually bought the game again on PS3 because I wanted it now, dammit! I'm going to steal a friend's data to do NG+ at some point on PS4. I don't have much to say that hasn't been said about this game already because you probably cannot escape it right now, even if you wanted to.

Needing a break from the awesome of P5, I decided to go for a little bit of junk food and actually use my PSTV for once, so I'm playing Tales of Hearts R. I'm hardly any good at Japanese, but even I can tell that the translation is... taking a ton of liberties, to put it lightly. Seems this pisses off some people more than others, but frankly, the story and characters of most Tales games are pretty vanilla anyway. I am happy to say that the combat is actually damn fun, a hell of a lot more fun than Zestiria's was for me. I much prefer the Smash Bros style of Tales combat over the combo-loop thing that Graces and Zestiria used, so Hearts R is working fine for me. I really don't know too much what changes were made over the DS version (since it never came out over here, but internet says having 4 people on screen and adding Gull are the most major ones so far), and the thing frankly looks like a low end Gamecube game most of the time, but it's still fun. I do wish I could see the enemies instead of random encounters, but eh, the encounter rate isn't ungodly high or anything, I can deal with this. I've signed up for some popcorn, and it's what I'm getting. I seriously hated Zestiria so much, I didn't think I'd ever bother playing a Tales game again, and perhaps for new entries, that might still be true (as I have no played Berseria and probably won't bother unless the combat is like Smash Bros), but Hearts R has a fun battle system and at least one character I kind of like and none I hate as much as I hated Sorey, so we'll go with this.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I too just finished my first run through Persona 5.
It took a long time, as I did a lot of save/reloading for the first few months of in game play, to get a feel what about what was the best way to proceed. My final time was 121 hours.

I was not bored in the least.

Wow. As a huge fan of Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 PSP, Persona 4, and Persona 4 Golden, my bar was set pretty high.
I bought a new PS2, PSP, Vita and a 3DS specifically to play Persona releases.

I am completely satisfied with Persona 5.

Sure Ryuji could be a little (or a LOT) less annoying, and it is easy to get overwhelmed by the stuff you THINK you need to do, and inadvertently stumbling into a game play planned week long sequence without any save opportunities will drive you nuts as it is happening, as it was, I concentrated mainly on the Stats, and the Party member confidants, and ended up midstream on the external Devil, Fortune, Hanged, and Tower confidants as the credits rolled.
Still a lot of side stuff that I did not get to as well.

This game oozes coolness, and does a good job of making you feel that something is not quite as it seems at many points in the game.
Combat wise, my biggest fear for the party members were area effect status ailments. I never seemed to have a good supply of the cures to the ailments I was afflicted with. And 3 or 4 out of 4 getting charmed/dazed/frozen/scared, coupled with the big increase of in normal damage taken if you were afflicted could wipe you out quick.

Luckily, unlike Persona Q, the inventory seems unlimited, and I will not be caught off guard on higher difficulties.

Between all versions, I think I ended up over 1000 hours with the Persona 4 gang, and it looks like I will be hanging out with the Persona 5 team a lot as well

I do need a short break though!
classicalzawa
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, so PS4s, you can't exchange save data between friends! If I want to do NG+ on Persona 5, I'm going to have to either play the game again on PS4, or replay it on PS3. But I really wanna play it on PS4!!! Whatever, I'm going to play P4Golden first anyway (I did play P4 on PS2, back in the day, but never Golden).

Anyway, couple of breather games first, right? I finally beat Tales of Hearts R and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. Story wasn't too complex, but it also didn't bite off more than it could chew (which I feel a lot of Tales games tend to do). But it also easily has one of my favorite Tales combat systems, who would've known! Since the Vita isn't exactly swimming in games as is, I would definitely recommend it to Vita or PSTV owners because it's just straight up fun.

I also played Tearaway Unfolded (the PS4 version, remember, I have a PSTV, not an actual Vita). I'm conflicted on how I feel about this. It's not a super long game, 8 hours maybe? and yet, it just would not end. It's got this charming world and setting and graphical design, and the first ending fakeout, ok, fair enough a lot of games can have one ending fakeout, and the story right afterwards did indeed add to the game. Then you resolve the main plot of the game and I'm like "oh, it's going to end now, right?" and nope! Then you get shoved into this short area that you can tell will be short and is all setting up to be a really cool finale area and then nope! No ending for you! And that was the latest point of where the game should've just ended to have still stayed satisfying. And then there's like, 30% more game after that, and it just all feels so pointless, nothing is being added to the world or story at that point, it's just doing these stupid areas for no real reason, and it just seems to last forever. At the end, I feel like it was proof that even a "short game" can be too long if you don't let it be the length it was clearly intended to be. I've played lots of small artistic games and they pretty much all have the decency to end when they're supposed to (I'm thinking of things like Journey, Flower, Rain, Brothers, Papa & Yo), but just because you can pour extra budget and time into something doesn't mean that you should. Persona is 100 hours, but I never felt like I was messing around doing pointless things. A lot of RPGs will have hidden areas and stuff, but there's a reason that they're "side quests", at least you're making the conscious decision to waste your hours dodging lightning in a field.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9