• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Leiji Matsumoto Aims to Make Work That Links All His Works Together

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Turn ∀rc- *insert space-esque word*
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this is possible in the strictest sense, or rather not without some pretty big changes and handwaving, but I'd like to see him try.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Odds are he'll just trail off and not finish it again.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
I don't think this is possible in the strictest sense, or rather not without some pretty big changes and handwaving, but I'd like to see him try.

A lot of his major works are already linked here or there, the bigger issue is that every piece has several of its own continuities and origins, like the several for Harlock, the several for Maetel, and a few for her mother, Andromeda/Yayoi.

A lot of the stories just can't work in the same time-line unless these characters get amnesia and restart their journeys several times, or we just get some generalized concept of an over-story. It'd be like the Galaxy Express movies, but with more focus from Harlock, Emeraldas, and maybe the entire backstory of Queen Promethium.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Emeraldas Reservoir Chronicle.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll put $5 down now to make it work he somehow uses blackholes and/or some sort of time paradox idea. I doubt this is feasible in any sort of logical way that would make sense but good luck all the same.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've always thought the best way to consider the Matsumoto-verse is to think of it as a family of closely related archetypes, similar in structure to story-families like the old Greek/Roman myths or even Arthurian legends. The broad sweeps are all there and tell a more or less consistent tale, but the details can vary depending upon the needs of the story. Thus, Harlock's back stories in Arcadia of My Youth, Galaxy Express 999, and Cosmo Warrior Zero may all be irreconcilable with one another, but yet all still boil down to the same basic outline producing the same character.

I'll watch whatever Matsumoto produces, doubly so if its Harlock/GE999 related. Those were among my earliest entry drugs to anime, and I still hold them in high regard.

Hmmm. I wonder if he'll find a way to tie Starzinger into his universe. I believe that's the only major series of his that he hasn't pulled in with the others.

Psycho 101 wrote:
I'll put $5 down now to make it work he somehow uses blackholes and/or some sort of time paradox idea. I doubt this is feasible in any sort of logical way that would make sense but good luck all the same.

Heavy Meldar. Time Castle.

He's already laid the groundwork.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I always thought everything worked with his concept of time ring (toki na wa) used his Wagner inspired Harlock title. Everything happened, but in different loops of the time ring. So everythin in the previous stroies happened, but with small divergences. like the time tadashi joined the arcadia crew, and things like that. with that, every little problem is washed away.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
So he got the "Asimov syndrome", I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I thought the Leijiverse already had all his works connected. What would he need to change?
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
Matsumoto did a "bit" more than "some design" for Yamato...

Black Turtle wrote:
I always thought everything worked with his concept of time ring (toki na wa) used his Wagner inspired Harlock title. Everything happened, but in different loops of the time ring. So everythin in the previous stroies happened, but with small divergences. like the time tadashi joined the arcadia crew, and things like that. with that, every little problem is washed away.

That's exactly it. The "toki no wa" already ties everything, that even was at the core of the latest Harlock's CG film. Leiji doesn't need to make a new manga to tie everything because he already has.

Just go back and finish the Gotterdamerung please Razz

-Sergorn
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...the bigger issue is that every piece has several of its own continuities and origins...

That's the main issue.

If they link them, I hope they link them for real for real and don't have like Harlock look at portals leading to other shows and that's them trying to say that now they're all linked with one continuity.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I have to agree, there no way NOW to reunite the entire franchises. There too different now. Space Battleship Yamato 2202 coming right now, it's much serious than some the abstract weirdness that comes with some of the other franchises Harlock/Galaxy Express 999 are known for.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

I have to agree, there no way NOW to reunite the entire franchises. There too different now. Space Battleship Yamato 2202 coming right now, it's much serious than some the abstract weirdness that comes with some of the other franchises Harlock/Galaxy Express 999 are known for.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I always thought all of his work was connected, anime reboots / retellings aside. It's like how I think all of Rumiko Takashi's work takes place in the same universe. But I guess if you look at it closely you'll find contradictions. I mostly look at his work as ways to tell stories and not an exact retelling of events. I guess I take it as more about imagery and what you take away from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1