• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to End Shipments of Current PlayStation 3 Console in Japan Soon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
End of an era. Started out bad, but became something good thanks to the turnaround.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
10 year cycle.

Best console I ever owned! But I did get the backwards compatible model so I had my fill of PSOne.2 games as well.

Blu-Ray machine was awesome too, made awesomer when I upgraded to a 3DTV. I still prefer using it for it's simpler UI compared to PS4 to watch Crunchyroll etc.

I salute thee PS3.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
At least PS3 was lasted about almost 11 years.
I doubt we can make PS4 last for a decade too. Maybe next generation Playstation console will out somewhere in 2022.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Legendary machine. Not quite as epic as the PS2, but still one hell of a system, 11 years, wow. It's the best blu ray player, and overall media machine I had (music/pictures/movies/netflix). Considering I already hear talks of the PS4 being past its halfway life cycle, I tip my hat to the PS3.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The current slim model launched in Japan in August 2014, replacing a model that launched in 2013.

Out of interest, is the 2014 Japanese super slim model roughly the same as those that are ubiquitously available second-hand? I plan to replace my expired 'piano' model sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
At least PS3 was lasted about almost 11 years.
I doubt we can make PS4 last for a decade too. Maybe next generation Playstation console will out somewhere in 2022.

The PS4 will last a decade don't know why it wouldn't.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The PS4 will last a decade don't know why it wouldn't.

Dont think so. This is not same era with PS2 & PS3. The technology will be advance faster and the hardware will obsolete faster too. PS4 will cant keep with it and lagging behind other gaming platform(PC). The PS4Pro we known so far cannot play all game in native 4k resolution. It will be the era where 4k gaming is so normal even 4k HDTV will be cheaper too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Back during the initial hype craze for PS4, and us PS3 folks' worrying about whether it would still support Blu-ray and Blu3D, we JAWDROPPED Shocked at the utter, scary, neurotic, cult-like tunnel-vision that core PS gamers had in saying "Eww, PS3 flopped and stunk, because it was too busy trying to be a media player, when it should have been a kewl game uber-console, with more definition for all us online gamerz to shoot things, peeww-peeww, boom!"

To give credit, it was the poor "media player" PS3 that almost singlehandedly helped create Blu-ray--back in 2008, when a stubborn public had to be sold on these strange new disks, Sony's affordable mass-rollout standalone living-room BD-300 player was a notorious bugged-up failure that gave aid and comfort to guffawing HDDVD/X-Box fans, while the PS3 rocketed up the disks nice and clean--but also helped create the new set-top-box Streaming model we enjoy for television today.
If you Cut the Cord in the last nine years, don't thank Roku, thank Instant Netflix giving the PS3 and X-Box a new app, back when the other streaming companies thought we'd all be watching on our tablets and desktops.

Those of us old enough to remember how the PS2 console community had almost singlehandedly built DVD's popularity back when no non-anime/game fan had the faintest clue what to make of that format, thought that there might be some sentimentality that "When there's a new Sony format, Playstation will bring it into your living room!"
But now that Sony is currently having corporate in-fights between its Home-theater division and its Interactive game division, the idea of putting 4K UHD disk-play into the redesigned PS4 Pro was seen as "wasting console space" that could be used for "more graphics", rather than try to help sell an already shaky and difficult-to-explain new home-theater format to a baffled or uncaring public that doesn't want to buy expensive standalone players.

(Edit: Removed additional nasty joke about adolescent gamers monomaniacally caring about nothing but gaming on their consoles, even though the rest of the post made that fairly evident.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

Dont think so. This is not same era with PS2 & PS3. The technology will be advance faster and the hardware will obsolete faster too. PS4 will cant keep with it and lagging behind other gaming platform(PC). The PS4Pro we known so far cannot play all game in native 4k resolution. It will be the era where 4k gaming is so normal even 4k HDTV will be cheaper too.

None of that concretely tells me they're going to phase the 4 out much sooner than every other system in the PlayStation line that preceded it. Yes the system is lagging behind the PC (which isn't a new thing with consoles) and yes the PS4 Pro is a thing but I don't see what either has to do with Sony choosing to keep manufacturing PS4's for a decade.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
To give credit, it was the poor "media player" PS3 that almost singlehandedly helped create Blu-ray--back in 2008, when a stubborn public had to be sold on these strange new disks, Sony's affordable mass-rollout standalone living-room BD-300 player was a notorious bugged-up failure that gave aid and comfort to guffawing HDDVD/X-Box fans, while the PS3 rocketed up the disks nice and clean--but also helped create the new set-top-box Streaming model we enjoy for television today.

As stubborn as I have been to adopt the format, I shall grant that the PS3 is in many cases the sole device sufficient to initiate the transition to Blu-ray. A machine bearing the credentials to justify purchasing it aside from its media-playing capacity is crucial to someone whose shelf has yet to be graced by any now-familiar slimline blue monoliths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

As stubborn as I have been to adopt the format, I shall grant that the PS3 is in many cases the sole device sufficient to initiate the transition to Blu-ray. A machine bearing the credentials to justify purchasing it aside from its media-playing capacity is crucial to someone whose shelf has yet to be graced by any now-familiar slimline blue monoliths.

Yes, apart from Germany, Europe has always been notoriously slow in adopting new home-theater formats (oh, how many times a week would some annoying partisan try linking "UK hates 3D!" articles pretending it was happening over here?), but Blu's pretty much here to stay.
In the US, HDTV was made mandatory by federal regulation in '08 at the same time as Blu-ray and the PS3's debut, and if you went out and got a flatscreen, you found out DVD was just too fuzzy and dim in high definition. There were the other stubborn folk saying "Upscale is good enough for me!", but saying that soon became a red flag that you were either a cheapskate or a movie-philistine.

There are probably better and more affordable BD players now, nine years later, than the PS3 (and PS4), and "smart" Netflix features are standard in most, but back then, getting both Blu and streaming in a PS3 was the best excuse: Come for the disks, stay for the games. Anime smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Its pretty much Cerney Vs Spencer Vs Koizumi at this point. The ole shoulda coulda woulda. The Ps4 and Xb1 are the same AMD 8 gig quadcore tech, with the switch going a different route again, Ps4 stepping on its own toes with PS4 Pro and the lagging XB1 promising to smash the opposition with Scorpio, we should all take time to remember the simpler times like the year late PS3 launch to the 360,the insane price launch of $499, $599 and $699, the Backwards Compatible 20, 40, 60 gig fat PS3s with the glorious piano finish of the 60, the move peripheral that was used for a few games and quickly abandoned, the need to update,the free multiplayer, the dualshock 3 with no rumble because they were in a patent dispute at the time, the controller doing what it wanted, the need to get an HDTV, not being able to read the text with your current TV, 3D Games, Blu-ray format, 3D movies, the dualshock becoming whole again, the loss of backwards compatibility, the horrendous updates, mandatory game installs, the Sixaxis gimmick, special games access downloaded through the network via code, the PS store, Live themes and on disc extras.

It was a hell of a decade, though I'm not a fan of the system but the wide arrange of features on the PS3 make the PS4 look like a simple toy by comparison.

As a collector I look forward to getting the last gen of the PS3 just to check out what it became. Its still got a shit ton of great games. Now is the time to swoop up on the goods and rare collectables before they are all gone.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Um, how exactly does the PS3's "wide array of features make the PS4 look like a toy by comparison," exactly? The PS4 has everything that console did and more, aside from the obvious initial backwards compatibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1