• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Kyousougiga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redcar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my question! I didn't notice a mismatch in how the music was used, but now I'm interested to hear what Jacob was talking about. I'll have to pay closer attention to it next time I watch the show. Certain portions did feel just right though, such as Koto agonizing over her dreams in the first episode. And even though it wasn't a song proper, I looked forward to hearing this theme every time I started watching.

I feel like Kyousogiga was the first work for which I actively took notice of Shiina's composition. Tales of Zestiria only improved my opinion of his work, so I hope he continues to find good employment Smile (Though if I recall, Zestiria suffered from similar problems of having music sometimes be inappropriately used in certain scenes...)
mc_quiz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool talk! I did find it interesting general consensus was that the first half was generally padded out and such, when I'd count the first half far more interesting. Though that might be because I found going into the characters and their motivations and so forth (combined with the world building) super interesting (and laying the groundwork to better feel the drama of the second half).

Though the talk of the pomegranate, there apparently is a bit of it in Japanese lore, in that it's representative of Kishimojin, the "patron saint" of sorts for infertile women. Given Koto(Older) is essentially that... and using the pomegranate to metaphorically return Myoe back to life (giving him new life/metaphorical rebirthing) and taking him as her son... I think there was a lot more with that bit than was given credit!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
mc_quiz wrote:

Though the talk of the pomegranate, there apparently is a bit of it in Japanese lore, in that it's representative of Kishimojin, the "patron saint" of sorts for infertile women. Given Koto(Older) is essentially that... and using the pomegranate to metaphorically return Myoe back to life (giving him new life/metaphorical rebirthing) and taking him as her son... I think there was a lot more with that bit than was given credit!

Ah, thanks for the context! I would have given it that credit if I had known, but I just wasn't familiar with the pomegranate's use in Japanese folklore.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well that was an thoughtful, erudite, and enjoyable experience definitely made me want to watch the series being discussed much like when I listened to the From The New World episode as well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Despite all the glut of information I think I got most what Kyousougiga was trying to say. It is definitely an ambitious show with a lot of creativity, but I did not connect with it in a significant emotional level. Still, I agree that it is an important anime from this decade that should be watched by those interested in well written and artsy anime.

And for the person asking about a similar show with family themes, Flip Flappers is a great recommendation.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Welp, time to re-watch Kyousogiga.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Since Zac mentioned it, I looked on my BD and the "close" option only appears when watching an episode and I pressed "Pop up Menu" on my remote.

Great discussion on Kyousougiga (I'll have to marathon the series this weekend to refresh myself and see the new subtitles) esp. with Myoe who was also my favorite character next to Koto. Also, glad that Eccentric Family was mentioned since both had similar familial themes but, I loved how grounded Eccentric Family tackled a family recovering from loss while Kyousougiga was more about the dangers of abandonment and living with a selfish parental figure.

Love the series and hope that Rie Matsumoto directs more original titles in the future since she won't be directing BBB:B.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Welp, time to re-watch Kyousogiga.

I agree. I have the DVD inserted in my player right now.

I watched the series come out as ONA, then as a streaming series, but I hadn't been motivated to open the disks until this discussion.

It's such a beautiful series, and, to a degree, Kyoto and its history is another character (though not as much as in The Eccentric Family, of course).

Last edited by dm on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maximus44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Great episode!

Really liked the video format for the ANNCast.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
....also, I appreciated the reminder that Rie Matsumoto directed Blood Blockade Battlefront is appreciated --- I watched that series (streaming --- even putting up with the awful Funimation streaming site!) when I first learned it was by the director of Kyousougiga, and enjoyed it immensely.

One of the things I enjoyed about streaming Kyousougiga were the live-action omake episodes where the voice-actors went to sites important to the series (in particular, real-life Myoue's temple in the hills) and the episode where they visited the Choujyugiga.

I was a little surprised you didn't bring up the immensely silly Sengokuchojyugiga, which animates events in the Sengoku era in the style of the Choujyugiga (currently streaming on Crunchyroll).

Rewatching the ONA, with its explosive race across the rooftops of Kyoto reminded me a good deal of the first (four) episodes of Horizon on the middle of nowhere, another series which tries to squeeze ten pounds of ideas into a five pound anime (given some of the character designs, ten pounds of something, anyway).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1