• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK World Airs Hayao Miyazaki Documentary on Saturday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
This is probably going to just be 50 minutes of him complaining. I've read a lot of Miyazaki articles and seen several interviews and the impression I've gotten of him was he's a typical "never as good as in my day" angry old man, and the only reason his opinions are not dismissed as such is because he's high up in the industry.

90% of all articles about him are "Miyazaki retires", "Miyazaki comes out of retirement" and "Miyazaki's complaining about something"

The last story about Miyazaki and CGI was him claiming that people only use CGI because they lack talent. I'm pretty positive that the only reason he's doing this is so he can prove himself right, and that at the end of this documentary he's going to claim he was right all along.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
It depends on the CGI artist. Also, when you have a famous director/writer/artist who has long established themselves with a specific style of animation, it is understandable why they might criticize more modern animation trends. However, it could also be that they are bitter about how their medium is not as established today versus, say, 15 years ago. In the case of Miyazaki, I would say it's both.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
I believe most people are confusing Miyazaki's aim of hate for technology. From what he has said, it doesn't seem like he hates technology per se, but the fact technology has a high potential to make people lazy and not focus so much in their jobs, since technology was obviously made to make their jobs easier.

I have had the chance to talk to a few people at disney, french animation companies and the latest Pink Panther director, and they all seem to agree on one point: technology is good as long as the people that use it know what they are doing. You can teach someone how to use a CGI software like Maya in a week, but you won't be able to teach that person how animation, painting, designing, and a long etc. works in that amount of time, you need years of training, trial and error, and above all, passion for that kind of work to get a good animator, drawer, designer, etc. The main problem nowadays is that many companies seem to hire people with no knowledge in those areas to make a lot of jobs in the animation industry, and because of that, the quality suffers a lot.

The industry aims to create more content in less time, and if they have to sacrifice quality, they do not mind, as long as it sells, which means people are happy happy enough. It's a matter of efficiency. However, Miyazaki does not seem to agree with that line of thought, he aims for perfection in each of his works, or at least that's what he seems to comunicate. I don't think anyone is wrong here, they just have different perceptions on their work, one is an artisan while the others are businessmen.
Lopezz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
So I think his new movie will be in CGI. RIP legacy.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
This is probably going to just be 50 minutes of him complaining. I've read a lot of Miyazaki articles and seen several interviews and the impression I've gotten of him was he's a typical "never as good as in my day" angry old man, and the only reason his opinions are not dismissed as such is because he's high up in the industry.

90% of all articles about him are "Miyazaki retires", "Miyazaki comes out of retirement" and "Miyazaki's complaining about something"

The last story about Miyazaki and CGI was him claiming that people only use CGI because they lack talent. I'm pretty positive that the only reason he's doing this is so he can prove himself right, and that at the end of this documentary he's going to claim he was right all along.

You are wrong. In this documentary Miyazaki decides he wants to make a CGI film because he realizes what CG can do. He also praises the technology and the people working with it, and curses it in other situations. It's a rocky road with ups and many downs, and since the documentary has already aired (you can find it with English subs on YouTube) I can tell you that he doesn't "claim he was right all along". He is not that kind of self-righteous person, anyway. You, like many people, seem to have a very narrow picture of who Miyazaki is. It's easy to reduce him to the "angry old man" cliché when you only read the "scandal" articles posted on news websites.

If you want to learn more about Miyazaki and his personality, I recommend you the books "Starting Point 1979-1996" and "Turning Point 1997-2008". Both contain Miyazaki's writings, opinion pieces, ramblings, magazine articles, his thoughs on trends and other people's works as well as detailed thoughs on his own works and his intentions when he made them. This is definitely a better place to learn about Miyazaki than most of the stuff news sites pick up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Wink
I see he still smokes like a Russian Aircraft Carrier. Laughing
The Dragon Dentist: Part 1 was intreging, The dragon looked like another EVA Angel to me.
I'm looking forward to Part 2.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Nothing wrong about Miazaki loving classic cel-based animation. It's no different than artisans who keep classic crafting traditions like blacksmithing, woodcarving and carpentry, and masonry.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
Lopezz wrote:
So I think his new movie will be in CGI. RIP legacy.

I don't know about that. The pitch he gives was listed like this:

Though, a 3 year production cycle does imply not necessarily doing everything by hand.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
If it even happens at all as more and more of his old coleagues catch the last flight to Paradice.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Meh, he is "young" at what, 75 in Japan. That's like 69 in the US. He can work for 15 years more and still make several other movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1