• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Profits From Selling Old Stock Anime Discs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
This inventory has been sitting there, unloved, for years, collecting dust. Which doesn't mean they're bad shows, of course. Just that they've been available for so long that many fans have forgotten about them.

I disagree. Most of the bargain bin items I have seen at Right Stuf are singles of shows that are more bad than good. I imagine that many of those items are still available because fans never liked those shows enough to want to buy them. They are not forgotten; they are not wanted IMO.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It's like when the local MovieStop closed and they put all of their disks on sale, I was able to walk out with a handful of Funimation titles - some of which were Geneon rescues - for only a few dollars. The MovieStop did not want to be left holding anything once that store was closed, so it was better to sell as much as possible to try and recover some of the cost of that inventory.

Nothing wrong with it, the folks at Funimation and back in Japan had already be been compensated.

Mark Gosdin
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I disagree. Most of the bargain bin items I have seen at Right Stuf are singles of shows that are more bad than good.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

You may not like what's available in the bargain bin, but you can't exactly speak for everyone else. Are they all-time classics? Likely not, but there are usually some nice hidden gems that just didn't sell, & are now dumped into those locations.

Quote:
They are not forgotten; they are not wanted IMO.

Unwanted =/= Bad. Just because something isn't exactly being hunted after & demanded by people it doesn't mean that it's not a good product.
Sad Petal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
When I used to buy anime a lot, I would buy a lot of the old single volume dvds that were cheap that no one seemed to be buying just to "Fill the cart."

Filling up the cart with filler purchases over time I have been able to have awesome complete sets of Claymore, Baki the Grappler, Blood+, Air gear and Zegapain when at the time I didn't think much of them cause I was just trying to fill up my shopping cart but looking back now I absolutely love some of the old single volume dvds I have and was able to pick up! I have some great gems I'd say! Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
^ How were you able to collect Blood+ in singles? If I am not mistaken only the first 25 episodes were released in singles. The other 25 episodes were only released in a box set.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Most of the bargain bin items I have seen at Right Stuf are singles of shows that are more bad than good.

The majority of anything is going to be awful.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
great.
now they should do something about shipping costs.
Sad Petal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^ How were you able to collect Blood+ in singles? If I am not mistaken only the first 25 episodes were released in singles. The other 25 episodes were only released in a box set.

I bought the first 4 volumes on dvd which were up to 1-20 and I eventually decided later on I kinda wanted to finish collecting the entire series so I bought the part 2 box set when it came down to about $60 and the only way to obtain episodes 21-25 is you at least had to have the final dvd that was released in the first box set since the single volume number 5 that Sony was supposed to release never was released I guess.

So I found a seller on ebay that was selling his/her Blood+ part one box but instead of him selling the entire part one box set he was selling off the thin pack dvds that came in the part one box set so I bought the 21-25 thin pack from him/her for like $8. The only thing that cost me big was the part 2 box set but I scored the first 4 volumes for pretty cheap as well.

Sony did do a really poor release on such a great series xD
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I got a huge boost to my anime collection from these back in 2009 or so. Air, Pani Poni Dash, Beck and Welcome to the NHK complete with art boxes, and a handful of some other forgotten shows all for less than $200. I've tried a couple of times during Right Stuf's clearance sales to do it again, but there's too many missing volumes and a lot fewer shows from 2005 that I'm interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I also bought a lot of singles (sometimes with artboxes) from TRSI after the bubble burst, especially when they had their 25 for $100 sales. I couldn't help noticing how many still had Best Buy price stickers on them. I actually got a lot of good shows including the ADV Macross release complete with artbox for $28 total (disk 7 is probably worth many times that now as it is very hard to find so I hear).
egozi14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
May be ld question but still need to be answered

He keep saying that the email address is: "answerman (at!) animenewsnetwork.com"

But what it mean? to simply send it that way? that the (at) changes to @ ?

I have no clue what the address is :/
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to those "unwanted" discs that nobody cares about I have been able to fill out a lot of my older box sets that had gaps missing. I will admit I feel a slight twinge of pain when I do buy them for $3-$5 a single dvd seeing as how I used to pay $20-$25 per disc. That was the cheapest they were too. Oh well.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sad Petal wrote:
Blood+

omg dude that is like my favorite series of all time. I really wish it would be re-released in a complete series in blu-ray.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
egozi14 wrote:
May be ld question but still need to be answered

He keep saying that the email address is: "answerman (at!) animenewsnetwork.com"

But what it mean? to simply send it that way? that the (at) changes to @ ?

I have no clue what the address is :/

Replace (at!) with the @ sign. No spaces between.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
At the 99 Cent Only store I go to they had some Tokyopop, ADV and Viz DVDs such as Reign: The Conqueror, Inuyasha, Project Arms, Zoids: Chaotic Century, Trouble Chocolate, and a couple others.

I quickly nabbed the Zoids: Chaotic Century DVD (it was vol 7 which is expensive to buy at Amazon since it's out of print, I'm still on the lookout just in case the other DVDs show up)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2