• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Charapedia, ANN Pick Most Anticipated Spring 2017 Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
For TV series and ONA/OVAs, "Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul," "Laughing Salesman" and "Gundam Thunderbolt" are all I'm really looking forward. It kinda upsets me because all this season is really about is sequels. As a result (in my eyes anyway) it's missing the novelty of promising new and original shows which is what I value the most. Oh well, at least Fall has a lot of potential.

For films, I'm definitely looking forward to Masaaki Yuasa's films. Dude is a creative genius, I can never go wrong watching his work. The "Blame!" Netflix movie is also something I'm eager to see, even though it's completely made in CG.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even more interesting is that sin Nanatsu no Taizai ranked on the women's choices but not the men's.

I'm guessing it's because they thought it was a second season of Suzuki Nakaba's Nanatsu no Taizai. I did too until I clicked on the ANN encyclopedia entry and realized that it was the other Nanatsu no Taizai.

This upcoming spring season is going to keep me real busy! Natsume, Shingeki, Uchouten Kazoku, HeroAca... Very Happy
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Charapedia's separate lists for male and female voters showed further interesting differences

Why isn't there a link to these results? I'm curious what the full lists look like.
Quote:
Charapedia users, perhaps not having learned their lesson from the end of Oreimo, went for Eromanga Sensei.

As someone who didn't like the second season of Oreimo at all but knows nothing about Eromanga Sensei, that seems like an unfair statement to make. I guess I have "learned my lesson" (certainly not one of my most anticipated series) but feel like it's at least worth giving a try since Oreimo did have its good points.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Here's the Charapedia link: http://www.charapedia.jp/research/0158/

I promise to eat my hat if the siblings from Eromanga Sensei don't shack up.

Quote:
Masamune Izumi is a light novel author in high school. His artist, known only as "Eromanga Sensei" is reliable but Masamune has never met him and assumes he's just a perverted otaku. Masamune's little sister is Sagiri, a shut-in girl who hasn't left her room for an entire year. She even forces her brother to make and bring her meals when she stomps the floor. Masamune wants his sister to leave her room, because the two of them are each other's only family.

One day Masamune discovers that Eromanga Sensei and Sagiri are one in the same. Further chaos erupts between the siblings when a beautiful, female, best-selling shōjo manga creator becomes their rival.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone doubts that incest will be involved in Eromanga-sensei. However the author (of the LNs) seems to have learned their lesson, in that the siblings are just (or perhaps "just" if one prefers) step-siblings IIRC. Now certainly ones where they are just step-siblings can go wrong (See ImoCho) but it will not run into the same problem as the ending of Oreimo. And I will second that aside from the ending, Oreimo had its good points.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

I'm guessing it's because they thought it was a second season of Suzuki Nakaba's Nanatsu no Taizai. I did too until I clicked on the ANN encyclopedia entry and realized that it was the other Nanatsu no Taizai.

Calculating it from the list, it looks like it got 137 votes (or "points"?: not sure what 投票PT indicates) from females compared to 85 from males. The link on the Charapedia site leads to listings of characters from Nakaba's series. I'm guessing the same that many of the voters were probably confused.

Interesting that even though both Saekano and Eromanga Sensei are lopsidedly favored by male voters, Eromanga Sensei is actually somewhat less so (such that it got a higher placement than Saekano on the combined list despite being lower on the male list),
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
From Charapedia's list I only care for 3-7, 9, 16 and 20, from ANN's list would be 2, 3, 5. 6, 8, 9, 14-17 and 20. Besides those series I couldn't care less for the others but I might give it a try on some of them.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to go with my usual one episode rule and continue watching the stuff I'm intrigued with. But I'm pretty sure to be sticking around with Shingeki, Boruto, and other slice of life stuff if there's any. Not sure about following Boku no Hero because I've never finish the last season for whatever reason.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
AoT, MHA, Natsume s6 HYPE!
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
Loved Oreimo; EMS looks like it'll be more of that. Probably will skip MHA until the broadcast dub finishes. Yay for more Saekano. WOOHOO For Virgin Soul and Granblue! Looks like a fun spring.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Now certainly ones where they are just step-siblings can go wrong (See ImoCho) but it will not run into the same problem as the ending of Oreimo.

There's a huge difference between step-siblings in the sense of, say, Marmalade Boy where they don't meet until past puberty (and ending on a wedding was perfectly fine), and step-siblings in the sense of No Game, No Life that were raised together from a very young age, or the related Sword Art Online "I thought we were brother and sister our whole lives, but we're actually first cousins" bit.

That surely is a lot of sequels ranking high, but I can't disagree too much. Sakura Quest does seem like the most interesting non-sequel, especially since PA Works has done fairly well with Hana-Saku Iroha and especially Shirobako.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
I won't deny it. SnK is my top upcoming another.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
There isn't a single anime this season that i would say i'm anticipating. Nothing really stands out to me aside from the obvious sequels that are going to get a lot of attention.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Charapedia users, perhaps not having learned their lesson from the end of Oreimo, went for Eromanga Sensei.

A more likely explanation is that Japanese fans are well aware of and enjoy Eromanga Sensei, as its manga appears every month in Dengeki Daioh and is often featured prominently in that anthology, while fans in the West know it only as being "by the creator of Oreimo."

Also interesting is that Berserk is #7 on ANN's list and absent from Charapedia's. Blood & guts are more popular here, or is it that Japanese fans were turned off to the franchise by last year's installment?
Raiyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
REALLY hyped for Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho! (aka "Grimore of Zero" though I personally prefer a title more like "Starting the Magic Book from Zero")

I've read some of the LN and manga and it a really fun fantasy world with great world building (such as the distinction between "sorcery" and "magic"). It's the closest thing in feel to "The Slayers" we've had since IMO. Which happens to be my original gateway drug into anime, so I admit I am slightly biased towards anything similar. ^^

Also greatly looking forward to the DanMachi spinoff "Sword Oratoria". Really interested to see how the tone of the show differs from the original as I have purposefully held off from reading the LN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2