• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Actor Pleads Guilty to Killing Roommate With Sword

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This was all over how a car was parked. smh
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Headlines I did not expect, part 57...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Wild Force and Samurai will never be looked at the same way again now that people will eventually find out that the characters were played by an actor who is now a convicted killer. Sad
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
^ They shouldn't considering those shows aired long before the event happened.
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious about how the investigation went. It seemed open and shut self defense when it happened, so what changed their minds? It's massively disappointing. Wild Force was the PR I grew up closest with, so I was dreading this outcome.

KH91 wrote:
^ They shouldn't considering those shows aired long before the event happened.

I don't think anyone but hardcore Power Rangers fans care about past seasons anyway.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Wild Force and Samurai will never be looked at the same way again now that people will eventually find out that the characters were played by an actor who is now a convicted killer. Sad
well to be fair in Samurai he played a villain, but if nick does reruns of old seasons again Samurai and Wild Force would more likely not be aired ever again because of this situation, especially Wild Force since he had the leading role.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Only 6 years? Are you kidding me? He should be going away for life!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

It's actually kind of amazing how wildly murder sentences vary. In some cases, you're talking 15 or 20 years. In others, you're talking life + 200 years - and there's a decent chance that you'd think that the murder that got the guy locked away for 15 years was worse than the one that got the guy locked away until 200 years past his death. I suspect that a lot of the reason that sentences vary as much as they do is because of how much laws vary from state to state, but even if that's the case, the large variations seem pretty crazy.

And of course, regardless of how long the sentence is, if it has parole, then it's often the case that the person can get out way earlier than you'd think (albeit then theoretically being under supervision for the rest of the sentence). The reality of the matter is that a large percentage of murder convictions do not result in the person being sentenced to life imprisonment or execution, and in many cases, the person gets paroled many years before their sentence is up.

Plea deals do typically end up with reduced sentences or there wouldn't be much reason for the suspect to take the deal and plead guilty. I'd guess that the sentence is as low as it is because of the possibility of him getting off on self-defense in a trial, but I don't know. The fact that the murder could have gotten him 26 to life doesn't mean that the chances were that great that he would have been convicted, just that that's what he risked by going to trial. So, the police may have figured that getting him locked up for 6 years was better than nothing, and he may have figured that taking the 6 years was better than risking the 26 to life.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Plea deals do typically end up with reduced sentences or there wouldn't be much reason for the suspect to take the deal and plead guilty. I'd guess that the sentence is as low as it is because of the possibility of him getting off on self-defense in a trial, but I don't know. The fact that the murder could have gotten him 26 to life doesn't mean that the chances were that great that he would have been convicted, just that that's what he risked by going to trial. So, the police may have figured that getting him locked up for 6 years was better than nothing, and he may have figured that taking the 6 years was better than risking the 26 to life.

I can almost guarantee a plea deal was made. The other thing the news article doesn't specify is what charge he pleaded guilty to. Yes he was CHARGED with murder back in Jan of 16 but that doesn't mean that is the actual charge he pleaded guilty too. The charge could also have been lessened down to manslaughter from murder which carries a more reduced sentence by itself. The 26-life number quoted probably comes from if he been convicted of murder. State laws do vary on the timetable for each type of criminal charge manslaughter to murder and the type there of. Given that he only got 6 years I would bet money though he made a plea deal and it was for some sort of manslaughter charge and not murder. That seems more likely.

Given the details of the situation the prosecution probably felt they primarily only had circumstantial evidence and not enough to guarantee a conviction if it went to trial. That is the main reason plea deals get made. So the person serves some sort of time instead of risking that they get nothing and then you can't retry them.

Regardless one man is dead and another is going to jail.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I suspect that a lot of the reason that sentences vary as much as they do is because of how much laws vary from state to state, but even if that's the case, the large variations seem pretty crazy.

That's part of it - but there's also that laymen use the general term "murder" to cover a variety of acts the law considers individually.
wohdin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Solution: watch the original Sentai series instead, like a non-barbarian.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department stated at the time that Sutter had forced his way into Medina's bedroom, where Medina and his girlfriend were, during the altercation in January 2015.

Grammatically, this means Medina and Medina's girlfriend, but I suspect it was supposed to mean "where Medina and Sutter's girlfriend were." That would make more sense as a rationale for the murder. Anyone know which interpretation is the correct one?
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Jumping to conclusions here... we don't know all the details or circumstances.

For one it doesn't at all look like intentional murder.

There are grounds for the possibility of self defence or at least that the victim was acting aggressively.

It is mentioned that Medina himself called 911, either to attempt to save his life or to turn himself in.

The law, in order to encourage speedy rulings and investigations rewards honesty from people who turn themselves in and plead guilty to reduced sentences. Though as an aside here it should also be noted that plea bargains have led to completely innocent people serving convictions because it was easier to serve time than afford legal fees or win against a person or corporation with armies of lawyers at their disposal, or often even against the government itself. That's an unpleasant reality.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department stated at the time that Sutter had forced his way into Medina's bedroom, where Medina and his girlfriend were, during the altercation in January 2015.

Grammatically, this means Medina and Medina's girlfriend, but I suspect it was supposed to mean "where Medina and Sutter's girlfriend were." That would make more sense as a rationale for the murder. Anyone know which interpretation is the correct one?

Going back a bit, this article from The Hollywood Reporter is a bit more clear that it was Medina's girlfriend.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
I suspect that a lot of the reason that sentences vary as much as they do is because of how much laws vary from state to state, but even if that's the case, the large variations seem pretty crazy.
That's part of it - but there's also that laymen use the general term "murder" to cover a variety of acts the law considers individually.
The Variety article states he was charged with Manslaughter. There are several types of manslaughter like voluntary and involuntary and it can vary by state.
From Variety Article wrote:
An actor who starred in the “Power Rangers” TV series pleaded guilty Thursday to manslaughter in the stabbing death of his roommate in 2015.

TenCentFang wrote:
I'm really curious about how the investigation went. It seemed open and shut self defense when it happened, so what changed their minds?
I thought the same thing. But maybe the prosecution felt that there wasn't enough for the defendant to prove a substantial provocation occurred to justify self-defense. The prosecution and police might have thought that too much time passed between the stabbing and 911 call which could have been interpreted as suspicious. Its also possible that defendant went with the plea deal, because of fear of losing at trial and getting hit with 26 year sentence. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has copped to a plea they didn't deserve or got poor legal advice. He has already been held for 2 years perhaps the thought of another 20+ was too much. We just don't know.

yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
The Variety article says it was an argument over Medina's girlfriend and this NBC article says it was Medina's girlfriend.

Either way its sad, one life lost and another possibly destroyed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2