• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Player Maxes Out Pokéwalker After 7 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Suica-san for achieving such a milestone! Smile
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. It really made me smile that someone put so much dedication in to theirs. Also, I'm honestly impressed that it stayed alive that long. Maybe it holds memory after the battery dies and he changed it, but I have three pokewalkers (One from my Japanese copy of Soul Silver and then one for each of my English HGSS copies) and I used them pretty dedicatedly until the batteries all died years ago. Makes me want to put new batteries in them and see if I can resume my quest for that elusive flying Pikachu.
Suisho Kasumi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@bleachigo66
Actually, while the Pokewalker battery running out might delete unsaved data from the current stroll (number of steps, watts, items, caught Pokemon), the total number of steps stays until you manually reset the Pokewalker. I also managed to max out the steps on mine last year, I think I must have changed the batteries at least twice in the meantime.
BTW. the game actually honours the achievement by giving you a Starf Berry (I think that's the only legal way to obtain it in all of the fourth generation games). However, after you max out the steps, the device won't register experience points for the Pokemon put in the device anymore, meaning that if you want to continue using PW to level up your Pokemon, you have to reset the device (the total steps and watts count will reset to zero, but the unlocked areas seem to be linked to the game save and will not disappear).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the first step has now lead to towards 1000-mile journey.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder if the first step has now lead to towards 1000-mile journey.

Well,each step, if taken normally, is typically about 1.5 to 2 feet. Since they logged in 9,999,999 steps, that is definitely about a thousand miles.

Suisho Kasumi wrote:
@bleachigo66
Actually, while the Pokewalker battery running out might delete unsaved data from the current stroll (number of steps, watts, items, caught Pokemon), the total number of steps stays until you manually reset the Pokewalker. I also managed to max out the steps on mine last year, I think I must have changed the batteries at least twice in the meantime.
BTW. the game actually honours the achievement by giving you a Starf Berry (I think that's the only legal way to obtain it in all of the fourth generation games). However, after you max out the steps, the device won't register experience points for the Pokemon put in the device anymore, meaning that if you want to continue using PW to level up your Pokemon, you have to reset the device (the total steps and watts count will reset to zero, but the unlocked areas seem to be linked to the game save and will not disappear).

I was wondering about that--it looked like there was a special message for maxing it out. Game Freak is the sort of company that will account for even the craziest, most dedicated of players, so I'm really not surprised (impressed, but not surprised) at this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1