• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age PS4 Remaster Ships With Collector's, Limited Editions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The Limited Edition is available on Amazon as well. Saves a few dollars if you get that one there with Prime. I want the Collector's as I'm a fan of this game, but I can't justify $200 for what comes in it.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Seeking educated opinion: I sank 20+ hours in FF6 for the GBA (maybe 10 of those getting all of a certain character's Rages) and played FF3 for the DS until I reached an early dungeon because all my grinding - and I had done plenty - did not get me through. Also I've played and beat all the main games in the POKEMON series. Would I get much enjoyment from FF12? I remember it getting high marks ten years ago, seen as a step-up from 10 and 11.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Would I get much enjoyment from FF12?

FF12 is my favorite Final Fantasy in terms of game play, though 10 has the best story. Ashe doesn't have the charisma of other heroines like Yuna, Rinoa, Lightning or Celes. But the "gambit" system is fun to configure, though not as flexible as the tactics available in games like Dragon Age 1 and 2. I like setting up my characters then letting them have at it. In tough battles I need to intervene manually, but against normal enemies they do fine on their own.

I am repeatedly amazed at the amount of content Square Enix packed into one double-sided DVD for FF12. There are lots of different areas to explore and quite a few cut-scenes. They must have used some spiffy compression techniques to fit it all on one DVD.

Any guesses how long it will take for the PC port of this version to become available? I don't own a PS4 and don't really want to invest in one for just a few games like this. I already have a PS2 and a slim PS3 because the latter isn't backward-compatible. (I went through two or three "fat" PS3's, which could play most PS2 games, but each died from the overheating problem.) The PS4 won't play any of my PS1-3 games either.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Is a $200 Collector's Edition really necessary? My partner said FFXII was not super popular when it was released, at least not to the level X and XIII were.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Any guesses how long it will take for the PC port of this version to become available?

I'm guessing about a year turn around time if the sales are there. FFX HD took a year after initial release to hit steam.

I definitely have to agree about the content of the game. Games lately feel like they're less filled to save for DLC and expansions that devs don't care about giving a complete, robust game at initial launch. FF12 was apart of a time when DLC and expansions for consoles still wasn't anything (wouldn't be until mid-PS3 era). FF12 had so much going on in the game along with a nice 40+ hour story to complete.

I was mad at myself that I didn't complete all the bounties. I had about 80% of it done, but forgot to go back and complete them before giving up the game. That is my goal this time as those are some wicked hard battles. I also want to get all the zodiac gear this time.

NateSelwyn25 wrote:
Is a $200 Collector's Edition really necessary? My partner said FFXII was not super popular when it was released, at least not to the level X and XIII were.

Popularity has nothing to do with it. It's all about personal value. Do you feel you'll get $200 value and time out of the package, with all the items and games that come with it?

- Game (40+ hours of main gameplay, not including side questing and such)
- Steelbook
- 5 Judge Magister Mini-Busts
- Soundtrack Selection Album
- Six Art Cards
- Code to unlock original OST in the game to listen while playing instead of the new remaster OST

To me, while I would love to own this as a fan of the game, I can't justify the price soley based on not having a place to put up the Mini-Busts. That's where the value is for me. If it was only the game and steelbook with the code unlock, just save the $140 and go with the Limited Edition.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Would I get much enjoyment from FF12?

FF12 is my favorite Final Fantasy in terms of game play, though 10 has the best story. Ashe doesn't have the charisma of other heroines like Yuna, Rinoa, Lightning or Celes. But the "gambit" system is fun to configure, though not as flexible as the tactics available in games like Dragon Age 1 and 2. I like setting up my characters then letting them have at it. In tough battles I need to intervene manually, but against normal enemies they do fine on their own.

FF 12 is more like FF 6 in that the story isn't just about one person or a favorite coupling, but more about a group of people. That's why I liked it a lot better than X, never mind that I thought Tidus was an annoying little shit. In XII, the story is mostly about Ashe, Basch and Balthier. Granted, FF XII is harly perfect storywise; the change of head writer (who would then go ahead and add Vaan and the whole subplot about sky pirates) took care of that, but all in all, I think XII is one of the few FF games I feel is underappreciated rather than the other way around. It falls a little bit apart near the end, again, due to the change in head writer when the game was nearly done.

Then again, a lot of people have hated FF XII for its MMORPG feel and battle engine, so... I can't really say for sure whether you'll enjoy it or not. It is, at least, not a very challenging game. Well, the PS2 version wasn't at any rate. Even the infamous last hunt boss is more of a long-winded chore rather than a challenge, since you can run off and save at any point during that fight without losing much.

The license system on the old FF XII was a bit dumb, mostly because you needed to invest points into a license board just to wear equipment, which I'm sure a lot of you are aware that VG Cats made fun of. I was fine with the "stat/skill point" part of it, though. But hopefully the new Zodiac thing rectifies this? I enjoyed the game quite much, so I'll definitely be getting it.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:

FFXII is my favorite FF by a mile and I would assume there are a few super fans out there that would buy the collectors set.

As for it not being popular you patner is right. When XII came out it was praised by the media and got very high marks but alot of the players didn't like how different it was and there were many complaints about how the Gambit system would play the game for you despite it only being a option.

I noticed around when XIII came out people started talking about XII in a better light. The same kinda thing happened with Zelda and the Wind Waker. At the time people wanted a dark Zelda game and were pissed that Wind Waker was so cartoony but it was still a amazing game and now people look back on it fondly because all the drama has passed.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

a lot of the players didn't like how different it was and there were many complaints about how the Gambit system would play the game for you despite it only being a option.

I'll admit I was one of those people that wasn't overly impressed by XII when it first came out, but that argument was always painfully stupid. If I can set the game up so it was pretty close to the old ATB system and I got to control all of the characters' actions, then it sure as hell wasn't "playing itself."
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
For $200 I had better get the entire soundtrack instead of the usual 6 to 10 song selection BS.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
AND KINGDOM HEARTS REMASTERS COULDN'T GET A COLLECTOR'S ED LIKE THIS!?!?! WHAT BS SQUARE ENIX!!!!!!! >Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1