• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to hunt some of these down. Also, the director's cut of Highlander: The Search for Vengeance is pretty damn good, and my favorite thing Kawajiri has done since Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I'd buy a BD release in a heartbeat.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Wonderful stuff. You, sir, are a connoisseur. Some stuff I know and sherish while some are a complete mistery to me. I look forward to being educated by you with the next 25 installments.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Love seeing a recommendations list that isn't just full of the usual suspects! I am bookmarking this page directly (and the remaining parts when they come out) so I can pull it right up again whenever I'm looking for ideas on what to watch.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Cool. Thanks for creating this list Mike. It will also serve me as a great resource to find more anime movies to watch.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
If you live to find good shows like these, I live to check them out because I also think some of the best works in anime are not the mainstream fare (I'm not a hipster though). I'll look some of these up, thank you so much Mike-san!

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Pestarzt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, two Mizawa adaptations? I'm definitely watching those as a big fan of Galactic Railroad.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Love seeing a recommendations list that isn't just full of the usual suspects!

Seconded. In fact that's almost exactly the comment I came here to make and I agree wholeheartedly.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the list and finding out about more things I'd never heard of but which sound interesting!
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This is an awesome idea/a great way to find lesser-known anime movies!

Quote:
There's no escaping Discotek if you like great anime films, is what I'm saying.

Damn straight. I love Discotek.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bowl of Lentils

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Love the concept behind this list! Can't wait to see what other titles will show up, pretty such we'll be seeing HELLS at some point though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Quote:
There's no escaping Discotek if you like great anime films, is what I'm saying.

Damn straight. I love Discotek.

Given that theatrical anime usually fares quite well over here, I can only hope that Discotek's catalogue somehow gains the attention of further-flung licensors in due time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I like Legend of the Overfiend a lot too. Today's anime fandom does not know about Urotsukidoji since people tend to think of Bible Black or Boku no Pico when Hentai is brought up.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like a great list so far. Lots of obscure stuff I feel like I need to watch now.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Asura included on the list, because it truly is a completely overlooked gem from only ~5 years ago. That being said, 2012 was a hyper-strong year for anime movies, so I guess something had to get looked over.

I do like how Mike isn't exactly equating "best" with "excellentt" in this list. Instead, he's focusing on if the movie is simply interesting & worth watching, even if the story/characters/etc. aren't exactly stellar. Granted, I don't think Mike will be including downright terrible movies in this list, but at least we can all tell that this will be a relatively unpredictable list.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I've seen enough anime films that I could probably make a top 100 list of my own, but, if I'm being honest, after about the top 40 or so, I'd just be listing films that I vaguely remember seeing well over a decade ago at the FantAsia festival or at the Université de Montréal's long-defunct Animate anime club.

Let's say, Studio Ghibli would get at least a fifth of my top 25 but they'd be spaced out fairly evenly by mostly series-based films and my top Miyazaki film, Kiki's Delivery Service, isn't one of the ones that usually ends up in the top 5 of generic top anime films list. My list would be top heavy with series-based films for the simple reason that I just prefer anime series to standalone movies and actually like that the movie outings for the series don't need to devote a lot of time, or any time at all, to character exposition since you're supposed to already know who everyone is.

I wish the Paste list would've also given an index where I can see the rankings without having to scroll through a screencap and a paragraph for each single film.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
While I'm delighted to see Asura on the list, I'm a little disappointed that it's so far down on it. It's really great, so if Asura is only 78th, the rest of the list will likely be (better be!) spectacular. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4