• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Aoi Michiyuki Posts Manga About OCD Diagnosis

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else find it funny that mention of "painful feelings" in the article links to an erotic manga of the same name? XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
She didn't learn to think of math is a game by watching commercials; she saw a commercial for a cram school, asked to go, and learned what she needed there.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
As somebody with OCD and a learning disability (dyspraxia)... um. Isn't this more of a learning disability thing, not being able to understand why 1 + 1 equals 2? Might be dyscalculia, which is a very under-diagnosed disorder in comparison to dyslexia but it's just as difficult for kids and adults because so much hinges on being numerically literate in your school/working life.

(i have the exact same problem with math and didn't understand commas or decimal points or how to add quickly in my head. thankfully i can now make excel calculators for everything, no need to remember how to do tax in my head ) Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
As somebody with OCD and a learning disability (dyspraxia)... um. Isn't this more of a learning disability thing, not being able to understand why 1 + 1 equals 2? Might be dyscalculia, which is a very under-diagnosed disorder in comparison to dyslexia but it's just as difficult for kids and adults because so much hinges on being numerically literate in your school/working life.

(i have the exact same problem with math and didn't understand commas or decimal points or how to add quickly in my head. thankfully i can now make excel calculators for everything, no need to remember how to do tax in my head ) Razz

Yeah, I'm really confused by the stated diagnoses here--OCD doesn't effect someone's ability to understand math. Perhaps the manga-ka is misremembering her diagnoses, or it's a translation error. Dyscalculia sounds more like what she's describing.

The comic and her neurologist's message to her is really nice in any case!
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The translation's correct, but she's using the second term given rather than the proper one.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/強迫性障害

It could also be this diagnosis predates the more specific ones, or Japan groups several conditions under this blanket term, or this particular incident was simply the trigger that lead to her being taken to a psychologist and she doesn't describe the rest of the symptoms that led to this being the more appropriate diagnosis.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Does anyone else find it funny that mention of "painful feelings" links to an erotic manga of the same name? Anime hyper

Didn't even notice that. Such a article hits close to home as I have OCD and Asperger's (I might still have ADD/ADHD).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1