• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
This format has some faults. As we're already seeing in the comments, people are more likely to gravitate towards certain topics like culture and language and not so much the technical stuff. The old one allows more focus on the question at hand so it gets attention from the ones who are interested in it. Makes the asker not feel like he's being shoved out the door after a 5min. service.

When the Answerman's answers to all the technical questions are long-form versions of "because companies exist to make money", there's not much to discuss...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
This format has some faults. As we're already seeing in the comments, people are more likely to gravitate towards certain topics like culture and language and not so much the technical stuff. The old one allows more focus on the question at hand so it gets attention from the ones who are interested in it. Makes the asker not feel like he's being shoved out the door after a 5min. service.

The single question format hasn't been thrown out. This is just for questions that don't warrant a long answer like these ones. I have no issue with the format as long as it is used as appropriate (as it seems here) and single question ones are still done where warranted, as it makes topics more searchable, to say nothing of focus and depth.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I like this lighting round format. (And it is a call-back from the "olden-days" for sure. I'd actually forgotten the Answerman columns used to be like this! lol) I think mixing these lighting rounds in when you get a lot of good short questions compliments the longer, more in depth columns.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
If we're going to have retro-style Answerman columns, I demand fluffy bunny pictures!
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
I just never understood the rationale of a girl groping another girl's breast for no reason at all. Especially if said groper doesn't like to be groped herself.
Fruit-Cup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 am Reply with quote
From what I get from this Article, 申し申し, has something to do with foxes, ghosts and telephone operators.

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/moshi-moshi/
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
People answer the phone with "Hello" ? I did not know that. I thought it was "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" or even "Good evening". Answering the phone with "Hello" is rude in my country, at least for house phones. On cell phones, people could answer the phone however they want.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
People answer the phone with "Hello" ? I did not know that. I thought it was "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" or even "Good evening". Answering the phone with "Hello" is rude in my country, at least for house phones. On cell phones, people could answer the phone however they want.

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
I like this format a lot for certain questions. All of the ones here are interesting, but none warrant full articles.

I've only ever heard or said "hello" when starting a phone conversation, so it's interesting to learn about cultures that don't really do that. I only ever hear/say "hey" for specific people, and only when the call was planned or expected. In real life, I just say "hey, what's up?" Razz
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I just never understood the rationale of a girl groping another girl's breast for no reason at all. Especially if said groper doesn't like to be groped herself.

In Japanese schools (as I also understand from anime), there used to be a required "physical" for all the separate boys and girls to be measured once a year in the school-nurse office.
Between that and the gym locker rooms, it became a school-anime trope for some girls to be a little, er, too comfortable judging their friends' measurements on a comparative-stats basis, the same way they compete on test scores--While others might be too shy about it for the fan-service joke of suddenly being same-sex groped.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The Canada-US exchange rate has been about the same as it was in the early 2000s for a while now and you're slowly starting to see anime work come back to Canada. World Trigger, Beyblade Burst and Gintama are the notables being done by Ocean. Even Future Card Buddyfight, which had its (Calgary/Edmonton) dub canceled a while back, is being revived. NHK seemed to pay Azur for that random Kingdom dub.

There's been some big blows, though. Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans was the first mainline Gundam to not be dubbed in Canada ... despite partially being set in Canada! Funimation obviously didn't feel it was worth reuniting Escaflowne's cast. Viz has pretty much sent everything that was done in Canada to Los Angeles (Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter) and seems afraid to license the recent Death Note productions (TV drama, web series, new movie).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Count me in as wanting to see more of these! (I actually asked a question a long time back whose answer only needed one sentence, which is probably why I like this format so much.)

DmonHiro wrote:
Here in Romania we have "alo" which is the exact same thing as "moshi moshi". I guess that's why it never seemed weird to me.

The question made me think of "Ahoy-hoy," which was used in the United States but fell out of use several decades ago or more. I would've forgotten it completely were it not for Mr. Burns's repeated use of the phrase in The Simpsons.

NeoStrayCat wrote:

And yeah, also about the "fondling" part, I assume its just played either for fanservice purposes, or those that really would check the "sizes", lol.

See, those scenes where the girls would compare each other's boob sizes--it always bugged me because that always felt like an unrealistic thing to do. Any time these scenes come up in an anime or manga, it always made me think, "Do Japanese girls really do this, or is it just wish-fulfillment for fans attracted to women?"

Primus wrote:
The Canada-US exchange rate has been about the same as it was in the early 2000s for a while now and you're slowly starting to see anime work come back to Canada. World Trigger, Beyblade Burst and Gintama are the notables being done by Ocean. Even Future Card Buddyfight, which had its (Calgary/Edmonton) dub canceled a while back, is being revived. NHK seemed to pay Azur for that random Kingdom dub.

There's been some big blows, though. Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans was the first mainline Gundam to not be dubbed in Canada ... despite partially being set in Canada! Funimation obviously didn't feel it was worth reuniting Escaflowne's cast. Viz has pretty much sent everything that was done in Canada to Los Angeles (Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter) and seems afraid to license the recent Death Note productions (TV drama, web series, new movie).

Your location says Toronto, so I'dlike to ask if any of those shows are being dubbed there. Part of why I really liked ReBoot was its excellent voice acting, which if I recall correctly was done in Toronto.

I do like the Vancouver group too, though some of them become a bit too easy to recognize after one or two shows, like Sam Vincent and Cathy Weseluck. But I guess the same goes for any other region--once you've watched enough Cow and Chicken, you can recognize Charlie Adler in anything.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of this format for questions that don't have long, in-depth answers to. Comments might be a bit hard to bounce around, but overall good.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Your location says Toronto, so I'dlike to ask if any of those shows are being dubbed there. Part of why I really liked ReBoot was its excellent voice acting, which if I recall correctly was done in Toronto.

I do like the Vancouver group too, though some of them become a bit too easy to recognize after one or two shows, like Sam Vincent and Cathy Weseluck. But I guess the same goes for any other region--once you've watched enough Cow and Chicken, you can recognize Charlie Adler in anything.

All of the shows I've mentioned are recorded in western Canadian cities like Vancouver (which is where ReBoot was done), Calgary and Edmonton. Toronto's never been a hotspot for anime dubs. It's more a place for domestically produced animation from the Nelvanas and DHXs of the world. Most of the anime that's been sent there have been shows from children's entertainment companies like those two.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

All of the shows I've mentioned are recorded in western Canadian cities like Vancouver (which is where ReBoot was done), Calgary and Edmonton. Toronto's never been a hotspot for anime dubs. It's more a place for domestically produced animation from the Nelvanas and DHXs of the world. Most of the anime that's been sent there have been shows from children's entertainment companies like those two.

All right. I could've sworn ReBoot was voice-acted in Toronto, based on an interview on the Toonami Faithful Podcast, though I guess I was wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3