• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Ah, that little detail managed to blow by me. England certainly makes sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Well you could try and say it is a bit late, but we have finally got our overarching plot. Magic has been disappearing over the years, it is why their society is kind of diminishing, but the elder folk have no idea why. The story puts the focus on 7 teachers who started the school, Diana learning about 7 words, and Ursula also knowing about these seven words, ones that Akko is on her way to revitalising. And we meet the teacher Ursula talked about earlier in the episode, the fairy like spirit thing we see in the OP, that she is largely involved in this story. The school was apparently started by 7 teachers, but the focus on seven words makes me think it is not so literal, and more importantly for the story, I think it is a sort of ritual needed to revitalise magic back into the world. Chariot took the journey in the past to attempt the revitalisation, and I think that perhaps she was not able to succeed, and why she dropped off from public appearances. But maybe it is Akko who might be the key person to revive all of the words and bring magic back in full force. But also that there is a seal placed on someone bad, which makes me wonder if we will get a villain with as much evil and charisma as Ragyo.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Ah, this was definitely the most plot driven episode yet so far in this series and the most serious one yet imo.

Akko's character is progressing forward more and I like the direction of it. Rather than being a fan, perhaps now she'll make name for herself and become a great witch. I also wonder who that mysterious woman is though..maybe someone related to Diana or an ancestor?

Speaking of Diana, it's also noticeable that she learned some inside info from that forbidden book. Really makes me curious who led her to that book though and if it's a good or bad entity. And possibility, I think she'll serve as a major adversary against Akko during her journey to awaken the Words of Arcturus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 11:

Ah, this was definitely the most plot driven episode yet so far in this series and the most serious one yet imo.

Akko's character is progressing forward more and I like the direction of it. Rather than being a fan, perhaps now she'll make name for herself and become a great witch. I also wonder who that mysterious woman is though..maybe someone related to Diana or an ancestor?

Speaking of Diana, it's also noticeable that she learned some inside info from that forbidden book. Really makes me curious who led her to that book though and if it's a good or bad entity. And possibility, I think she'll serve as a major adversary against Akko during her journey to awaken the Words of Arcturus.

I suspect she's probably the person Akko saw in her vision. She's gonna steal the Shiny Rod to revive the old magic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Definitely the episode with the least amount of humour yet, but the compensation as DP pointed out is getting a sense of what the overall story is actually about. And just to correct you, DP, the Academy was started by Ye Olde Nine Witches, not seven. I wonder if "Professor Wooodward" was one of the original nine. On another note, Sucy is surprisingly flexible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, okay, I got the number wrong. But regardless I think we will find that the school was made for the purpose that it would try and teach and test for a specific young person to hold values that birth widespread magic. That Chariot was previously in this role can go some way to explain why her trading cards have information to do with important things around the school: The butterflies, the fountain, and the blue moon spirit Woodward.

The rod has also been used to lock some sort of evil figure probably on the school grounds too. I found it an interest detail that among the flashes of figures in the vision Akko sees is the Minotaur from the original OVA, which similarly make me think of how it was in the labyrinth under the school along with where the Shiny Rod was, as well as the evil dragon. Likely unrelated, but perhaps not, the dragon did have the trait of eating magic. I am looking too hard at these things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to go back and check, but it looked like the tome that Diana was consulting listed only 6 of the 7 words ... it seemed like one space was blank.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
The tome Diana read did not show any of the words at all. The diagram in Ursula's room showed 6 of the 7 words.
elior1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
The tome Diana read did not show any of the words at all. The diagram in Ursula's room showed 6 of the 7 words.
actully in one of the tome pages there was picture of the words which is the one in ursula room but the words were not shown there like they was in ursula room
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's where the confusion in memory came in. In any case, there is clearly a significance to the missing word. If I had to guess, I think Ursula/Shiny Chariot was able to revive 6 out of the 7 words, but not the final one. She has been at the Academy ever since, hoping for a witch who can revive them all to come along.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Diana didn't correct Hannah and Barbara. Laughing

No, this was good. Akko went from kind of annoyed at Diana's luck to more appreciating that Diana has a lot to deal with and is amazing in herself. The cherry on the top is that she saw it was the mirror playing a prank and somewhat understanding, and right about being kind of low brow to play a prank. I actually wonder if Diana didn't tell them out of frustration they did not see through it, and they do kind of pull things on Akko. At the end though it just highlights frustration that Akko has at feeling so inferior, to her hero and rival, but she followed up with picking up a lesson. The fountain pointed out that Chariot really did not do what she did for prestige, it was more pure in her having fun.

If I was to predict what maybe Akko realised at the end, is that what she can do is maybe transformation, but not like Chariot's. Instead Akko's transformations end up looking dopey and kind of funny, she is not turning properly, but it can still be fun. And I think that it is that Akko might be able to break the tradition in cheering up the ghost that has spent so long being sad, and maybe become its friend. It might really be that Diana would never have thought about doing more than the tradition. But that is just guessing. It is kind of reminiscent of the festival movie.

But Ursula's pick me up by telling Akko the great message of not comparing yourself to someone but doing what you can do, was a great message. I did cringe in the episode though when Akko was made to look like Diana.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is such a smart show. Look at all the things that were accomplished by having Akko transformed into looking like Diana:

1) opportunity for humour (esp. Hannah and Barbara, heh-heh-heh)
2) Plot complication for Akko (how does she get out of this jam?)
3) Reveals what Diana's ultimate agenda is (revive magic)
4) Gave Akko insight into what Diana has to deal with
5) Gave Diana a chance to be a bit surprising; we'd expect she'd be angry with Akko, but instead figured out what the source of the prank was
6) theme of the episode was not to compare yourself to others (need to be yourself) so visually and emotionally this bit actually dramatized the theme in an entertaining way

That folks, is just damn good writing.

Oh, and I did actually laugh out loud when I found out how the "sacrifices" were ultimately handled. And then laughed again when Sucy was clearly looking forward to it (which, of course, explained why she was keen on Akko to do the lottery picking, knowing it would be something that everyone else would view as horrible, but in Sucyworld is actually awesome.)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I got a kick out of was the one headline on the front of the newspaper: Shooting Star seen in Pakistan, with the picture of the runaway magic broom!
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Those Chariot flashbacks are really interesting. Pretty sure we'll see even more of those in the second cour.

Ah, Akko gave me a good laugh with her little pranks this episode. The part where she made her fans (as Diana) stand still like that with those ridiculous makeup on their faces is hilarious. Akko must also have the worst luck at the school, picking sacrifices as a duty out of anything else....although Sucy seems to be pleased by it lol

Can't wait to see Akko and her friends take on their sacrificial role. Because Akko is part of it, I expect something funny (or tragic?) to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Mostly as expected, which is to say that Akko lived up to the expectations I had gained for her character development. You could feel the similarity of Enchanted parade, Akko wanting to turn a sacrifice position into fun and the other two not being able to keep up with her optimism of ideas as she practices alone. But I thought that the part where the girls hearing Hannah and Barbara badmouth was maybe a good addition point, that we got Lotte faced with insecurities of no presence, of being a nobody.

I maybe would have liked them being involved in finding out what the cause of the curse was, but they still were the ones to help Princess Bubblegum. Do wonder if it is finished though, as that hand seemed to imply that something sinister is happening, and although implied that Diana was set to still win, it didn't end yet, which may have been just to keep good vibes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11