• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to fix cast database errors?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
At the English cast column of Dragon Ball Super, some things are a bit inconsistent, for example...
Tiffany Patterson is a separate name used by Caitlin Glass for some reason ('Tiffany being her middle name, and Patterson is her husband's last name'), but to credit her in the Dragon Ball Super database as Tiffany Patterson is pretty ridiculous seeing that Caitlin herself clearly confirmed that she is FUNimation's Vados. That being said, I tried to fix it, but instructions on using (ERROR >) is vague.

Any help?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The credits on the Encyclopedia series pages are based on whatever the credits in the show reads. On the Encyclopedia people pages, it would list all names the person is credited as, and list all roles under all names and pseudonames.

In this case, it seems that the page for Tiffany Patterson should be merged with Caitlin Glass, and the precisions of "Caitlin Glass" should be removed from those roles.

As for how to submit the error report, you would first hit the "report an error" option at the bottom of the page, then hit the (i) icon next to the entry, and select "error". Once you are on that page, you simply select that the information is erroneous, explain what the correct information is and/or why it is incorrect, and provide any sources you have.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
coolkidpiccolo wrote:

Tiffany Patterson is a separate name used by Caitlin Glass for some reason ('Tiffany being her middle name, and Patterson is her husband's last name'), but to credit her in the Dragon Ball Super database as Tiffany Patterson is pretty ridiculous seeing that Caitlin herself clearly confirmed that she is FUNimation's Vados.

If "Tiffany Patterson" is the name that is used in the official credits, then that is the name that should be listed in the Encyclopedia. It does not matter if it is known to be pseudonym. If there is sufficient proof that it is the same person (and there is in this case), then the entries can be merged (and I've done that).
4kidsidentifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being late on this matter, but I have some information I think you should know. Vados was indeed credited to Caitlin Glass since the character's debut in episode 18.

As I took party to the Glass-Patterson merge, I apologize for influencing any decisions based solely on that role at that time. The good news, however, is that there is a replacement for Vados as the glue that keeps Glass and Patterson together. Glass replied via Twitter regarding her being Harue Kasuga in Me Without Wings, credited to Patterson in FUNimation's cast announcement.

When I came across Vados initially, I thought that maybe "Tiffany Patterson" being Vados was leaked by word of mouth at a convention or something prior to a certain tweet (note that her debut episode [and first official credit for the character] aired in May). However, in these past few months I've come to realize a pattern of peculiar Dragon Ball anime cast credits involving aliases had been made, potentially from the same source, and that Patterson being Vados is just the tip of the iceberg.

My suspicions began when I came across Colleen Clinkenbeard's page and this error report for her role of Android 18 in Dragon Ball Z Kai (part 1), written by one Cecily15. The contents of said error report?
Quote:
I use this character cast by "Carmen Smith".

Carmen Smith, as it currently stands, has Trunks (Infant) in DBZ Kai [1] and Mai in Resurrection 'F'. Smith use to have more entries, including Android 18 in both DBZ Kais and Mai in both Battle of Gods and DBS (as well as Future Mai in the latter). Conversely, the corresponding entries for Clinkenbeard were marked with the same "I use this character cast by 'Carmen Smith'." error reports (or did not previously exist, as was the case for Resurrection 'F' and Super). The error reports on the Clinkenbeard entries for all the Mais and Android 18 in Kai 2, all of which were made by Cecily15, no longer exist because I submitted error reports on the Smith entries linking to credit screenshots, tweets, cast announcements and press releases that clearly falsified Smith as the person to be credited instead of Clinkenbeard. Trunks (Infant) also had one, but as can be seen here, I convinced the contributor to remove it simply via common sense, which if nothing else demonstrates how fundamentally unfounded those reports really were. In attempting to re-add these roles under Carmen, it would seem that the contributor withdrew the entries themselves rather than ANN staff, as they were not blocked, but I could be wrong on this.

Two other examples are 1) Lily Carpenter being credited for Gotenks (along with Janét Mason) in DBS (see screenshot below) and 2) Elle Deets (and not Alexis Tipton) being credited for Gotenks (again, along with Janét Mason) in DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters. The Kai entries for Deets and Mason have since been removed, and I added Edwards and Tipton for Gotenks proper, but DBS hasn't been changed yet. More importantly, that "Deets" was credited instead of "Carpenter" demonstrates that these entries were added well before the official release of these episodes featuring Gotenks and were conclusively added under false pretenses. Bailey was Kid Trunks alone in Kai, and Bailey, Edwards and Tipton never used aliases for Gotenks. I don't want to cast blame on anyone or say that this is also Cecily15's handiwork, but the similarities in the timing, scope and execution of these entries in comparison to those of Patterson and Smith cannot be ignored.

Unfortunately, I cannot prove myself whether or not Carmen Smith (or anyone at all) was actually credited for Baby Trunks in Kai 1 (source for Clinkenbeard cites "voice IDs") or if Lily Carpenter (or anyone at all) was credited for West Supreme Kai in Kai 2 as I did not catch the broadcasts nor do I have the home releases (I started a membership on FUNimation Now just for this thread in order to get the 2 screenshots above; they didn't have Kai). I could use some help on these details and would like to avoid buying the discs just to verify that info if I can help it.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this post and/or choose to respond and to the staff who've taken the time to review my requests thus far. I greatly appreciate it, guys, I really do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1