• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese Fans Care What's Popular Overseas?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, either one thing could be straight across, can't we all get along about that, lol.

I mean some do/don't, but at least they either do/don't care, but at least there's one thing in mind, is that we all share the same interest, no matter what!

(Though it would have been nice if this Answerman was another lightning round article, lol. Maybe next time? Wink)
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
A real shame that they ignore us entirely. Many Japanese companies suffer due to ignoring criticism such as Nintendo's copyright abuse, they have no understanding of fair use and instead decide to soil their reputation with greedy criminal tactics.

Another example is Sword Art Online, the YouTube anime community has analysed the series to the point that it's worse than irredeemable and yet the franchise continues to pump out material as opposed to keeling over and moving on.

We need to communicate as a whole in order to move on and until people accept others' ideals and learn from them, they will never grow.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing how Japanese fans were estatic over the English dub of Lucky Star for some reason.

I always got the feeling how Western releases of anime were handled was more of a concern to the content creators than anyone else. This goes back to the days when Tezuka was drawing Astroboy and Kimba the White Lion, the latter which may have been a co-production with NBC to get it made in color.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Another example is Sword Art Online, the YouTube anime community has analysed the series to the point that it's worse than irredeemable and yet the franchise continues to pump out material as opposed to keeling over and moving on.

So one community doesn't like it, so it needs to end? I'm guessing that people enjoy the series enough to keep watching it and buying product to support it. Money doesn't appear out of nowhere to spite YouTubers.

Also, for every SAO, there are tons of great anime being released every season. Just watch something else.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

We need to communicate as a whole in order to move on and until people accept others' ideals and learn from them, they will never grow.

Yeah, they should drop one of the most successful franchise in recent history because some American youtube/blogs geeks hate it.

Does American entertainment media listen to opinions of other Countries (Ok, Hollywood are listening to the Chinese but looking at the results, that is not that good)?

What make entertainment media great is showing and making shows from the perspective of that country. Listening and making changes to appeal to other countries only bring bad results.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
What make entertainment media great is showing and making shows from the perspective of that country. Listening and making changes to appeal to other countries only bring bad results.
Since when were we talking about Ghost in the Shell? Laughing
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Since when were we talking about Ghost in the Shell? Laughing

If you are talking about the Hollywood life action movie, i stil didn’t watched so i can't comment. But the news articles before the movie release where pretty bad. I usually avoid Hollywood anime/manga adaptations because how bad the ones i watched here, but i don't say bad or good things before i watch Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with the Japanese fanbase in not caring about what some shrill anti-SAO Youtubers think, at least not anymore. The ones who need to grow up or move on are not the people who are getting more of a franchise they like, but the people who cannot accept that people have different tastes from them and that things they don't like can be popular. SAO has flaws of course but if you yell that SAO is utterly and entirely without merit at people, no one but those who already agree will be persuaded. Given the relative success of the movie even in the west, I'd say those youtubers aren't even representative of the western fandom.

If SAO is worse than irredeemable in the eyes of these folks, they would need to throughly exhaust the thesaurus to properly put true dross like Chaos Dragon, Big Order, or the currently airing Hand Shakers in context.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

You do know that Sword Art Online is one of the most popular anime franchises in years right? It has two seasons, multiple ovas, 19 light novel volumes, five games, an entire spin off series complete with it's own anime adaptation and I could go on and on about how much media has been released for SAO. The bottom line is that the franchise basically prints money and has a devoted following both domestically and abroad. Heck I still like SAO despite it's many flaws and I want them to keep making more of it.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

The Transformers movie series has been bashed to hell and back. Same with the DC movie universe. There's still no end in sight for either because just like SAO, they still make a ton of money and how many people would stop churning out a work no matter how dubious its quality is if it's paying the bills and then some?

Last edited by Pokenatic on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
If you are talking about the Hollywood life action movie, i stil didn’t watched so i can't comment. But the news articles before the movie release where pretty bad. I usually avoid Hollywood anime/manga adaptations because how bad the ones i watched here, but i don't say bad or good things before i watch Smile

I... wasn't expecting that kind of response, so kudos to you. I'm the same way, but I honestly couldn't avoid making a joke since it was set up so perfectly. =)
Testarossah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's egoistic and even a bit childish to think that only things you like are allowed to exist. For now it's good japanese don't care about us.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Japanese and American fans need to start working together, things such as bad LN adaptations and crummy mobile adaptations that require you to play the game to enjoy them could be reduced or eliminated if both sides worked together. We need think tanks, big discussion panels, and the like moderated by fans and consisting of fans, including fans who are employed in the industry (No shareholders and such that aren't fans and just want a big hit for money, they're part of the problem).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I remember hearing how Japanese fans were estatic over the English dub of Lucky Star for some reason.

Lucky Star was the big craze at the time (mostly due to everyone seeking out the "real-life" shrine), so articles about other countries watching it was a big thing--
Sort of the same way we made a big deal about Japanese fans going goofy for "Frozen", but that didn't mean we wanted to seek out the Japanese dub to see how it had culturally translated. That they were watching it was the big news item, after that, we really didn't care.

Just more "bragging rights" that a big local hit was big in other countries--
When Disney made the Ghibli deal, Tokuma's insistence that Disney show Princess Mononoke in theaters wasn't just to prevent reverse-importation for the disks, it was also to build stunt hype for the deal at home.
Mononoke was so much the trendy headline, that when the US dub was in production, Japanese movie-rumor sites went nutty over wild Hollywood-envy rumors about what big "A-list American stars" Disney was sure to put in it: Madonna as Moro! Jack Nicholson or Robin Williams as Jigo! Laughing
Someone felt a little too much international-validation thrill to know how animation casting really worked.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Here I'd forgotten to put what I originally planned to comment on after reading the article, which is looking at the question the other way around. While the western fandom is certainly more aware of and probably interested in what is popular in Japan than the other way around, I think we tend to be more concerned with what is popular over here than in Japan per se. If that weren't the case, we would care a lot more about Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Shin-chan, and Doraemon, which regularly beat every anime we care about in the Japanese ratings, in Sazae's case by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5