• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Stupid "Rant" on Anime I Found Here

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Just something I wanted to get off of my chest here. What do you think of this description I found on this picture right here and the comments? http://thiscrispykat.deviantart.com/art/Weeaboo-Noble-Heart-662995345

First off, I've seen plenty of anime where there is a good amount of animation and even it it's so called "limited" with still shots I've been able to spot at least one piece of animation (eyes blinking,), I've seen plenty of times where there's believable/great emotions, plenty of good looking walk/running cycles, the "stretch/squash" thing isn't done as much as in other cartoons because plus no one uses "Japanimation" anymore. :S

The only time I've seen anything where it's like "cutting corners" is a lot of modern day anime, including Sailor Moon Crystal 1-2 and Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold (the original versions of the anime there were far superior looking and animated). Plus, animation isn't everything to a series, there's also story and characters!

Frankly I find it and some of the comments there insulting and I stated my thoughts right there myself (I'm the "Seiya" guy with the similar avatar), it's just, you know, considering how on other websites I've heard anime fans be called "weeaboos/otaku/rabid fans", it's just, it sucks to be called or thought of like that just because you love anime or a certain anime. Evil or Very Mad

Anyone else kinda understand what I'm saying?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Does it surprise you that someone out there doesn't like anime? Really, when it comes to entertainment there is nothing out there so good that some people won't hate it. That is just the way things are, different strokes for different folks.

Seriously like what you like for itself. You don't have to defend your own choices. When I got down to the line where he said he hated anime, I quit reading. That is his problem not mine. Just ignore the bozo.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that. It doesn't surprise me, but it's just the way they said it that irked me, like how on the Internet if some people say something stupid in my opinion in a really convincing way, and act like they know the truth. I was just pessimistic at the time of posting this.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Well, the internet just proves Einstein's quote "only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I am not sure about the former." right once again. Now, its true that verbal aggression against persons who are interested in Japanese pop culture shouldn't be accepted but in the internet you can find much worse things very easily (just take a look at what's said in racist forums on the internet).

Alan45 wrote:
Does it surprise you that someone out there doesn't like anime? Really, when it comes to entertainment there is nothing out there so good that some people won't hate it. That is just the way things are, different strokes for different folks.

Seriously like what you like for itself. You don't have to defend your own choices. When I got down to the line where he said he hated anime, I quit reading. That is his problem not mine. Just ignore the bozo.

Well, I never saw someone say he hates Hollywood movies, Western popular music or European books in the same way people often claim to hate Japanese comics (and it's derived TV series). I think the reason for that is ignorance regarding a foreign culture they don't know and understand. It's not taste (since any large medium is heterogenous enough as to not allow wide generalizations of its properties), it's ignorance and ethnocentrism.

Its fundamentally derived from the fact that our world at large and Western culture in particular is Eurocentric: non-European culture is often and automatically regarded as inherently inferior. This doesn't apply just to Japanese pop culture, I have heard people make fun of Indian movies, for instance. Of course, this only reveals information about the person making such claims and have no relationship with the object of the claims.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Actually I do not like (probably hate) Western Popular Music and my dad will not watch anything that is not an action, western or period movie (so he refuses to watch a large subset of Hollywood movies). My mother and sister hate animation unless it is Western, but this also affects French animated movies. (Family movie nights were never a thing in our house Smile )

At the end of the day everyone hates something, this is only enhanced on the internet where slight negativity becomes deep rooted hatred and slight postivity becomes obsession. It really does not matter if someone says they hate anime, because they may not just be a fan but this becomes "hatred" through their internet persona.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz

What I was trying to say was that there is no point in getting upset about someone disliking what you like. Too many people seem to go to others to affirm their likes and dislikes. The internet just exaggerates that. My approach is that if I like a form of entertainment or a specific piece of entertainment that is all that is necessary. If others don't like it that is their problem not mine.

It is possible that there is some ethnocentrism in that specific rant, but it is also possible that the poster is exaggerating a mild dislike simply to attract attention. No one ever got responses for saying they didn't care for anime and don't intend to watch it.

And yes, it is possible to write off an entire form of entertainment. Entertainment is optional there is no need to force yourself. You mention Western Movies, I don't hate them but I also don't watch them. I'm simply not interested unless they are related to a book I've read or to anime. I've met others who simply are not interested in watching anything animated. That is their prerogative. This is only an issue if you are trying to get a group of people to all watch something together.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, interest is different from taste. I was heavily interested in Hollywood movies about 5-6 years ago, now I am not interested in them anymore. However, I wouldn't say that I don't "like" Hollywood movies anymore.

I don't think the words "like" and "dislike" apply to the cultures of entire civilizations as well: One person can dislike novels but one cannot be a fan of novels and say they dislike "European novels". That's because European novels tend to vary quite a lot (Harry Potter and War and Peace).

Same with any other medium like animation. I like animation, I don't like (or dislike) "animation from Japan", I like Kobayashi's Dragon Maid for instance while I am not interested in stuff like Naruto. I like music, I don't like (or dislike) "Western pop music", but I like Wintersun and Ensiferum (two Finnish melodic death metal bands, hence, part of Western pop music) while I am not interested in Taylor Swift. I don't think in terms of wide generalizations regarding cultural objects because I see culture as the product of different individuals so I don't say I like and dislike "culture from civilization X", because I know it's heterogeneous and not homogeneous: its a situation where terms such as like and dislike do not apply: I might like some works in that culture and dislike others.

I notice that people tend to often make invalid generalizations regarding anime. For instance one person equated Akira with My Neighbor Totoro as if they were comparable because they are "anime", even though they are completely different movies that are not even remotely comparable. I believe that those invalid generalizations regarding anime come from the ignorance people have in general regarding it: they think it's a "genre of animation", when in fact the term is the Japanese word for animation and refers there to all animation. Its a form of stereotyping regarding a foreign culture and its particularly problematic because said foreign culture produces the bulk of the works in existence in the medium of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Alan45 wrote:
@Jose Cruz

What I was trying to say was that there is no point in getting upset about someone disliking what you like. Too many people seem to go to others to affirm their likes and dislikes. The internet just exaggerates that. My approach is that if I like a form of entertainment or a specific piece of entertainment that is all that is necessary. If others don't like it that is their problem not mine.

I take a similar approach. If you enjoy it who cares right? No matter what the product is, media or otherwise, someone somewhere will hate it or not like it. Just as some will not like things you do enjoy some will take every chance to lecture you on why it's bad or good. I say just enjoy what you like and ignore the white noise.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 100, the thing is that public displays of hatred against people interested in Japanese culture are, well, a little bit different from disliking something. Saying "I didn't like K-On!" is one thing, that's called taste. Saying "I hate the people who watch K-On!" is very different. Also, saying that "I hate animation that is produced by the Japanese people" is a very different thing from saying you hated one specific title such as K-On! or saying that you dislike animation. Saying something like that is essentially saying "Hi, I am an ignorant bigot".

And saying "I hate people who are interested in Japanese popular culture", which is essentially what those rants means, is tremendously xenophobic, authoritarian and bigoted: its hatred not only against the pop culture of a civilization but its also hatred against the people who are not ignorant idiots like the one who emitted such an opinion as well. I don't think this type of xenophobic aggression should be just ignored. While I wouldn't go as far as saying that the law should forbid it (in Brazil things like homophobia are crime) I think that in an internet forum that kind of behavior should be, well, banned.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz

Sorry, but in the US the law doesn't work that way. Free Speech is enshrined in the US Constitution. Neo Nazis and similar groups can post as much hate speech as they want and the authorities can't touch them. The same with homophobes and such. There are limits. It you make a threat against a higher government official they will take action. A credible threat against a specific individual may prompt action depending on how specific it is. Otherwise you can say just about anything you want.

Also the US authorities have no jurisdiction against people not located in the US. This is part of the reason pirate websites can operate.

On the other hand, the owner of the website can moderate or censor anything they want.

The bottom line is that simple hate speech will not cause problems in the US from the authorities. It may get you in trouble with the operator of the web site and it you sign it, may cause problems with an employer or prospective employer.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
@Alan45, I agree with that actually. PC laws trying to force people to behave in a moral way can be used to oppress people. People have the right to be idiots. Though I don't approve that type of behavior and in my house you cannot say stuff like that.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
He's a bit over the top on it, but he's mostly right.
However... anime TV will never be a big budget Disney movie. Even Ghibli films will never be big budget Disney.

Then compare anime to today's western TV cartoons.

"Squash and stretch" may be there to some degree. But most of them are really stiff flash-style animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1