• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FAQ.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not sure Youtube should be listed at all, at least, not as a company. They're not involved with the show at all, they're just an outlet that the actual company is using.

I think you're on the right track with using precisions. "Digital" for Digital licenses, and reverse the Internet Streaming so that it's "Company (Youtube)" or "Company (Viewster)" if they're not hosting it on their own website.
mbanu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Is there a set of standardized English terms that folks working with the ANN Encyclopedia should use for Japanese roles? (For updating articles and to determine whether a credit is in error or not).

Like should sakuga kantoku (作画監督) be "animation director", even though this implies a certain level of creative control to Western audiences, or "key animation supervisor"?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
Is there a set of standardized English terms that folks working with the ANN Encyclopedia should use for Japanese roles? (For updating articles and to determine whether a credit is in error or not).

Like should sakuga kantoku (作画監督) be "animation director", even though this implies a certain level of creative control to Western audiences, or "key animation supervisor"?

Entering the kanji role is preferred if known (as in taken from the Japanese credits, not back translation from English credits) as it will be stored that way and displayed in English, which both preserves the information in it's base form and allows the translation to be changed across the board if necessary.
If the term doesn't have a current translation it will be displayed in green kanji and link to the "possible translations" table, until it it defined as a "current" translation. The tables in full:

Kanji staff tasks - current translations
Kanji staff tasks - possible translations
Kanji staff tasks - translation table

For more information: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127129

The only problem (at least with the current version of the encyclopedia) is edge cases like 演出 which would usually be translated "episode director" except it is also used for films and other stand-alone works which don't have episodes. For this reason, it is displayed as "unit director".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed false information and/or typos in numerous articles regarding cast, staff, and plot summaries. How do I correct these mistakes?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I have noticed false information and/or typos in numerous articles regarding cast, staff, and plot summaries. How do I correct these mistakes?

Please PM details to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but does ann's encyclopedia contain data for people's gender e.g. gender of cast/staff members?

Thanks!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
#860225--
No.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
This is probably something you've considered in the past and turned down for one reason or another, but I was just curious - linking non-anime titles to related anime (e.g. if it's a video game, drama CD, or stage play connected to an anime, especially if the person in question wasn't in the anime, so you can't just scroll down their page for a link to the anime).

Keisuke Ueda, who hasn't done much voice work before, has a page now since he's playing the main character in "The Royal Tutor" next season. But he's been in a bunch of stage plays - K and Persona 3 are listed on his page, and I know he's also been in Hetalia and Osomatsu-san stage plays (but I'll leave adding those to fans of those series, or whoever wants to go back and find the ANN articles on those - I only know that from ANN articles, so they do exist).

Anyway, it would be nice to have those all link to the relevant anime - maybe "Adaptation of (__link__)" or "Part of (___link__) franchise" or something.

But I understand if it can't be done, I was just wondering if it's been considered...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
If the official Japanese site for an anime uses non-standard (and even inconsistent) romanization for Japanese character names, should these be used or should we stick to modified Hepburn?
E.g. Tohko (the same site also uses "o" over "ō" for other characters) and Senjyu etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Also, is there a reason why there's no page for the Yume100 shorts? They're anime, aren't they?
muhdnurhidayat

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
franta brozek wrote:
How can I add a new Language for Alternative title?
I'm reading manga in Czech Language

Sorry, you can't.

Basically, we've had too many problems with alternative languages. Often people will add their own home-brewed translation as an "Alternative title" and since no one on staff can understand the language, there's no way to check if it's valid. This also goes for cast & staff. Even if a source is given, usually it's a website in a foreign language and the problem is the same.

On top of that, the general idea of grouping staff/cast by language turns out to have some problems, so we won't be adding any new languages to the Encyclopedia for now.

Now, that is sad because I was trying to add information on translated manga & novel and our language (Malay) is not in list.

Our translated manga and novel are released by Gempak Starz, (legal name KADOKAWA GEMPAK STARZ SDN. BHD.) and you could read their background on their website in English : https://shop.gempakstarz.com/about_us

Gempak Starz is the main legal translator and distributor of Japanese manga & novel in Malaysia, which translates in 3 main languages (Malay / Malaysian, Chinese, English). All the listings contains the official alternative names for the books and the website could be set to English and still showing correct alternative names (you won't see English names on Malay-translated or Chinese-translated manga/novel list even if you set website to use English)

and yes, some of releases by Gempak Starz were even mentioned in Anime News Network itself, so it's certainly not just "home-brewed translation":
1. Gempak Starz License Manga, Novel of Shinkai's 'your name.' Film - Both get exclusive release at Comic Fiesta 2016 event on December 17-18 before wider release
2. Gempak Starz Publishes English Version of 'your name.' Manga - English release slated for this month, Malaysian version shipped in December
3. Gempak Starz Licenses 'Another', Heroin Aku Seorang Manga - 'Another' manga based on Yukito Ayatsuji novel gets English, Malaysian releases
4. Gempak Starz Licenses your name: Earthbound Novel, Dōwa ni Shippo Manga - Spinoff novel of Makoto Shinkai's your name. film, Ei Nagayama manga licensed
5. Gempak Starz Licenses Agensi Detektif Mistik Manga - 1st volume of manga about supernatural detective agency ships this month
6. Gempak Starz Licenses Takara Akegami's Hatsukoi Izonshō Manga - Manga slated for release this month
7. Gempak Starz Licenses Dusta!, Kampus Puaka Manga - Manga by Saki Fumikura, Chūmaru Yoshida launch in May

Links to 5 other news related to Gempak Starz (all from Anime News Network) here, here, here, here, here, and please search it yourself for the rest because it's too many... This google search link works.

These are how the translated books looks like (the images are from Anime News Network itself)

Novels will almost always carry in this format, where image is at center surrounded by white areas and Kadokawa logo (as they are under Kadokawa anyway)

Mangas are in this common format:
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Furigana in titles:

Some official series title use furigana to indicate an unusual pronunciation of the kanji in the title (e.g. manga#12545 where 禁書目録 Is read as "インデックス" rather than きんしょもくろく). In this example, and others I have seen, this alternative reading is indicated in the kanji title in brackets but I can't see that this has ever been written up as a standard.

There is a way of representing furigana on a web page using the <ruby> tag. Wikipedia's Manual of Style still bans use of Ruby, but IIRC that was originally due to limited browser support but it looks like all the major browsers do now support it (and there is provision for lack of browser support which can the furigana in brackets)

PS: while HTML code is enabled in the forums, that support sadly doesn't extend to ruby:
とある魔術の禁書目録(インデックス)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The rules for show titles specifically bans "transliterations of a transliterations" (e.g. "desu nōto"). Does this same rule also apply to the romanisation of episode titles?
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
So, a question on approving manga for the encyclopedia: Can a title be opposed for reasons other than it already being in the encyclopedia/it not being manga? Because there's a glut of never-translated one-volume hentai/shoujo smut anthologies that don't really have any significance that are awaiting approval. Not to mention that sometimes the source given will either be "I read it" or a broken link, which is pretty unhelpful especially with a vague title.

Also, are one-shots recorded in the encyclopedia? Not collections of them or anything, just one-shots by themselves. I didn't think that they were allowed, but I wanted to make sure.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
So, a question on approving manga for the encyclopedia: Can a title be opposed for reasons other than it already being in the encyclopedia/it not being manga?

I don't think so... ANN is mainly focused on anime, so more attention is given to anime titles. There are far more manga than anime too, so manga submissions are plentiful and take longer to approve. 1702 manga titles vs. 318 anime titles right now Anime dazed

A manga title must be somehow noteworthy for faster approval. Assistant Encyclopedist dormcat's preferences were listed here:
dormcat on 02 Apr 2006 wrote:
1. Manga adapted to/from anime.
2. Manga from manga-ka whose other manga title(s) have been adapted to/from anime.
3. Manga from manga-ka whose works are well known and are already in the Encyclopedia.
4. Manga which have found their way to North America.
5. Excellent titles from rookies (their first tankoubon). This criteria is rather subjective.
6. Average titles with manga-ka who has drawn few, if any, other titles, and none of his/her other works (if any) has been included in the Encyclopedia yet.

Submissions with poor sources or scant info take longer to approve as well. If there are duplicate submissions, endorse the earliest correct one. dormcat also had advice for people submitting titles here.

Calico wrote:
Also, are one-shots recorded in the encyclopedia? Not collections of them or anything, just one-shots by themselves. I didn't think that they were allowed, but I wanted to make sure.

I think the most recently added one-shot is Deadline Summoner with ~39 pages. One-shots tend to be added as a series or a collection. Single one-shots are likely affected by the above criteria.

Magazines often include several one-shots and yonkoma with their publications. All those would flood the submissions page even more. Twisted Evil Sometimes they're included as a bonus with tankōbon for a different series by the same author, so they're listed as a chapter in the series entry. There was some discussion about creating an index for one-shots here.

Edit: Relevant thread about oneshots.

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5