• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Charger Girl Jūden-chan. I enjoyed watching Plug overcome her unfortunate luck at her job of rejuvenating the emotionally-drained. The Sweety Milly sideshow was, sadly, a train-wreck with the excessive erotica and constant put-downs Milly often gets from B-kun...

Overall, CGJC is an alright show, if one can stomach the craziness of Sweety Milly.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Finally, finished Shattered Angels.
Of course, while it was a cute prince charming story, I was only concerned for Kaon and Himiko. Was a little disappointed that they didn't have more scenes together, but since this is a different series that is to be expected.
Also finished the extra scenes that was included in the DVD releases.
While I liked all 5 of them, the 2nd one being the best for obvious reasons, the last one made me go, "WHAT THE HELL?"
Its basically if Shattered Angels had a fun little movie trailer, but the one that got me the most WTF was Souma's cameo in the end. I was pissed that they were teasing me with some Kannazuki. Damn it all!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Kyousogiga, but I kind of honestly have no idea wtf is going on. Clearly, the main story didn't actually start until episode 1, but I'm still pretty lost, to be honest. Perhaps I simply do not like being confused quite this much? I seem to do a lot better with "weird" in video games though, maybe since I can control the weird more directly perhaps. I mean, Last Guardian was certainly weird and minimal on story, but that was ok with me. It got the basic concept of "work with the beast" across pretty quickly. And Katamari is always bizarre (although to be fair, story and characters aren't important to Katamari).
But I feel like with some of the other weird things I've seen, Eccentric Family comes to mind, it gave me something to grasp onto a lot faster and wasn't as convoluted with its storytelling and plot at any time. But I'm finding Kyousogiga really hard to get into, personally.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
A.D Police (1990 OVA) - For my Bubblegum Crisis marathon, I decided to watch A.D Police next. This was the first anime in the Bubblegum Crisis series that I saw on Starz back in 2000. As a 9 year old kid, I thought it was so [expletive] awesome. After over a decade later, I re-watch it and I still think it's pretty good. Nowhere as bad as people make it out to be.

The animation is pretty good, but could have been better. The original Bubblegum Crisis had amazing animation for its time while the animation in A.D Police feels a bit lackluster. The large amount of detail put in the animation is nowhere as good compare to Bubblegum Crisis. However the action scenes are very well animated and the large amount of blood use in this anime is always awesome.

What I like about A.D Police is the atmosphere because it's very dark and gritty. The atmosphere really captures the mood of the anime. A.D Police feels very different from Bubblegum Crisis and I like that. It makes A.D Police to be it's own anime instead of trying to copy & paste Bubblegum Crisis. Bubblegum Crisis did had a good share of serious and violent moments, but it still felt like a PG-13 anime while A.D Police is pretty much R rated. A.D Police is filled with blood, gore, nudity and even sex. That's what makes A.D Police fun to watch. This anime was made when you had ultra violent blockbusters from Paul Verhoeven and it's too bad that we don't get those type of movies anymore.

A.D Police is the would be that one anime your parents would never let you see as a kid in Elementary School or Middle School and you'd sneak out with your friends to see on VHS or even on DVD. That's what I miss out about the old OVA's of the 80's and 90's is that most of them turned out to be crappy but it felt great in the end and the experience was awesome.

The music is in this anime is great. A.D Police offers a lot of great songs and I found myself humming to most of them after the anime was over. The music feels very dark and futuristic which is the tone that the anime is going for. The dub is alright, not bad or great. I would suggest to watch it in sub instead because the voice acting is pretty hammy at times. I was told the Manga UK dub is better, but not by much.

The biggest issue with A.D Police is the story in my opinion. This anime is only three episodes long and there could have been so much more to be done. A.D Police feels like it should have been a six episode OVA series instead. I love Leon McNichol and I feel like that he hardly does much outside of the first episode. The supporting cast in this anime is pretty lackluster too since I didn't care much about them. I do like that we do get definition and elaboration of what Boomers actually are, and their role in society since the original Bubblegum Crisis never really went over that.

Unlike other OVA titles like M.D Geist, at least A.D Police try to add some themes like "How a human mind can inhabit a machine", "Losing touch of your humanity" and "Can machines feel pain?". Too bad these themes are poorly executed in A.D Police.

Overall, A.D Police (1990 OVA) is a fun spin-off title in the Bubblegum Crisis franchise. The writing may be not great, but the action, music and atmosphere make up for it. If you are looking for philosophical content similar to Ghost in the Shell, you are not going to find in this anime. If you just want a fun dark sci-fi action anime, I suggest to check it out. They don't make sci-fi/cyberpunk anime like they used to. Grade: 7/10

I would rank A.D Police higher if the anime was longer with better writing. Tonight, I will watch Bubblegum Crash and Scramble Wars. After that, I will take a break on the Bubblegum Crisis franchise and finish up on other anime that I need to watch.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
You're not gonna watch the 12 ep A.D. Police (1999) tv series?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You're not gonna watch the 12 ep A.D. Police (1999) tv series?

I will watch Tokyo 2040, A.D Police 1999 and Parasite Dolls later. I remember watching the A.D Police 1999 on VHS back in 2003. Making one of the last anime that I saw on VHS.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Okay, I have just finished the last episode of Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club, and despite some positive opinions by others compared to Long Riders (something I did not believe), I give a finale rating of Weak (3/10). Well the animation was well enough but I honestly don't think it was that good. Long Riders brought at least a few things interestingly with ages and like, and I think the characters were kind of better. The lessons being taught in the anime felt poorly paced or uninteresting compared to Long Riders, especially in clunky after episode sections with the seiyu and some guy explaining things about bikes, that was both boring because often the lesson was in the episode, or it felt more fake than how it set itself up with anime characters.

For instance, late in the series when doing an activity a tyre breaks and there is a huge drama about not being able to go on, until a character just brings up that they brought a spare/repair kit. Long Riders brought this up at almost the start of the show, that while Minami Kamakura was having some odd segment about a girl needing to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels, the MC in Long Riders met a passer-by who was a veteran and filled her in on such technique. Minami Kamakura had a member of the team bring it up like she knew and told none of the others that it is possible, feeling like it would just bring up things out of nowhere, like the group suddenly being able to pull off techniques, while Long Riders did a healthy amount of lessons on riding that it felt like we were beginners along side the main character following the experts.

Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club was just kind of boring, and this is from someone who watches all sorts of moe shows about girls doing things. I just got so bored while watching. The landscapes were not interesting either, and I was just not interested in where it was going at any time. The last episode had them riding towards Fuji, and I was just yawning. The drama they made of Sandy was not even interesting as clearly it was a misunderstanding. I really even had the thought that if Sandy was speaking to her folks that it would be English and hard to understand. Sandy her self was not a bad character idea, but with how wacky she came out it just felt a bit insulting as an English speaker.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
I reached another personal viewing milestone today. Not too long ago, I reported that I had watched 600 TV anime titles to completion (I am now up to 622 with several more about to entered into the Seen All category of my My Anime listings as the Winter '17 season winds down). However the new milestone I'm talking about is that I have now seen 500 SUBBED TV anime titles to completion. Urara Meirocho (a criminally neglected show from this season) has the honour of collecting the 500th spot. I've seen 121 DUBBED TV anime titles to completion, plus a further 9 dubs if you count shows that I originally watched subbed and then watched dubbed later on as rewatches.

Wow, after 500 subbed TV anime titles watched to completion in basically 8 years, you'd think I'd be fluent in Japanese by now, wouldn't you? Yeah, not so much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, after 500 subbed TV anime titles watched to completion in basically 8 years, you'd think I'd be fluent in Japanese by now, wouldn't you? Yeah, not so much.

I hear ya. I definitely know more Japanese than when I began, but Shi ne! and Amakakeru ryuu no hirumeki just don't come up in conversation all that much, ya know?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- さん の 日本語 が 下手ですね。もっと勉強したら日本語が 上手になりますよ!がんばってよ!あきらめないでいてほしい! いつか、Blood-さん は 日本語 を しゃべれます!

TL Note: "Keikaku doori" means "just as planned."
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking I understand Japanese better than I understand Swedish despite Swedish being the 2nd official language of my country. Heck, I probably speak more German than I speak Swedish and the only German word I know is Scheiße! Oh, wait I learned the word läßt from Fate/stay Night whatever it means. Shirou's VA seemed to think that "ß" is the letter "B". I'll never forget that his German is worse than his English.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's interesting to now know that I understand more German than you do, Cam0!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
@ EmbraceMe - I ran your post through a Japanese to English online translator and to my intense disappointment, it actually came out sounding (mostly) proper:

Quote:
Blood's poor Japanese. I will improve my Japanese if I study more! Do your best! One day, Blood - can speak Japanese!

Sigh. There goes a prime opportunity for some cheap Engrish laughs.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crash - This was the only Bubblegum Crisis anime that I never saw growing up. So I finally saw this anime and I have no idea on what to think really? It has some good moments, but everything else sucks.

The animation is not bad, but it feels lackluster compare to Bubblegum Crisis. The anime is lacking the amazing detail and the dark brooding cityscape of Mega-Tokyo. The animation looks and feels cheap compare to the original. The action scenes are nicely animated and that is probably the best thing about the animation in this anime.

The music is pretty good, but the song are not as memorable compare to the songs in the first anime. The dub is mostly on the same level as the first anime. The sub version is pretty good and nice to see the other voice actors voice the characters one more time. I'm not a fan of the new voice actress for Priss, but I got used too it.

The story is the biggest issue with this anime. So when did Mega Tokyo was cool with the idea of Boomers being used in Mega Tokyo? Also what happen to the rest of GENOM after Episode 8 in the original anime? Also what happened to Sylvie and Anri (the sexaroids)? I take it nobody else seems to remember anything either. Largo is somehow back despite being killed off in the first Bubblegum Crisis anime. I don't get how he return despite being blown off into bits.

I guess it was nice to see what the other Knight Sabers was doing after the first anime series ended and seeing them want to move on. However that is throw out of the window pretty quickly later on. I did enjoy Episode 2 since the Boomer with the human mind-set was pretty likeable. The other episodes are okay...I guess.

Bubblegum Crash is a very forgettable sequel and is a total let down. I can see why people never wanted me to watch it for many years. Bubblegum Crisis can stand on its own and has a decent story with good characters. Meanwhile Crash feels very rush and is poorly put together. Bubblegum Crash is the Dragon Ball GT of the Bubblegum Crash franchise. It's not god awful, but it could have been so much better. It has some good moments, but you can skip this one unless you want to see what happens next after Bubblegum Crisis. Grade: 5/10

Last edited by Spawn29 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote

In my case, the biggest disappointment taken in Bubblegum Crash was the change in voice actress for Priss. The absence of her distinctive, slightly nasal voice made me mistake her for a different character entirely. This confusion was only compounded by the less determined and more gullible personality she initially seemed to bear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 970 of 1062