• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trickster: Edogawa Rampo 'Shounen Tantei-dan' Yori (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote

So apparently his mom was being treated for hypercalcemia (or osteoporosis, but that lacks drama), probably due to cancer or chemo. But I think the writers just thought zoledronic acid sounded super cool and science fictiony and wrote a script to let them use it. Seriously, who's the dork in charge of naming drugs for the last few years? They've gotten really stupid-sounding names lately.

Bad daddy. Bad daddy! Obviously he splattered his parents (or his dad after mom died) in self-defense.

Insert obligatory animation gripe. This isn't even professional level anymore. Middle schoolers could do better. I could do better.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Props to you for looking up the drug! I saw it flash on my screen and thought it must be important if they're bothering to translate it, but didn't catch its full name. I wonder if they'll claim the drug or her illness is somehow related to Kobayashi's powers? His father claimed he didn't want a kid presumably because it made her sicker--assuming she had some kind of experimental treatment while pregnant, maybe its the root of Kobayashi's powers. Or not. Who can tell with this show? Wouldn't be surprised if his powers were all part of 20 Faces's plan!
Akechi is busting guys out of jail on 20 Faces's orders now. That's weird. Laughing
When will we finally meet police lady's boyfriend and confirm that he's evil?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
No, remember our crazy shrink? "It's not unusual for people to gain powers after a trauma." And we know bigly trauma's on little Koby's horizon...
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This anime is pure comedy gold! I snickered all the way through ep.22 from "he's on a stratospheric plane!" and Akechi is chains (oh, the symbolism~!) to 20Faces apparently throwing his no-killing strategy overboard because it doesn't provide enough thrills for his beleoved Akechi-kun.Laughing

Two more eps. to go. How much more ridiculous will it get? I can't believe i made it this far, it makes me equal parts proud and embarrassed...and i really miss the reviews, they were half the fun. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
So about those chains... Were they totally an illusion or were they made of rock candy? And there were a whole lot more of them than were actually chaining anything. Smile

When Nakamura started feeling up her boob, I thought for sure it must be 20 Faces in disguise. What I don't get is why the cops were treating her with such respect - did they forget that she was being held there after she killed one of their own? I also still don't get why she's allowed to be in this cushy penthouse instead of jail. I think they made a stab at explaining it, but I forgot since it didn't make sense.

Kobayashi is still the only one with a lick of sense. Hanasaki deserves to be dead for not listening to him and going on ahead.

What I really want to know is where 20-Faces is putting all his cameras? Did he implant microcameras in Ryou's and Hanasaki's faces?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
#13-24

This series to put it nicely has its ups and downs, although many viewers would need to sit through all 24 episodes to find the ups.

What I liked about the series was its portrayal of flawed humans and the inability of some to face their imperfections head-on. Akechi certainly turned out to be a different character compared to his initial portrayal way back in episode 1, although 20-Faces remains much the same throughout the series. It requires an uncharacteristic act from Akechi to finally bring 20-Faces to terms, but consistent writing has never been a strength of this series.

The ending is a disappointing cliche since it means everyone bar a few individuals survive and live happily ever after. I've always hated Hanasaki as a character and would have preferred to see him wreck himself for failing to save Kobayashi, but the latter seems to have lost his bet with Hanasaki and has accepted that he can make the best use of his power whilst staying alive. The change in perception from Kobayashi is a little too sudden (3 episodes) for my taste though.

I much preferred the Edogawa Ranpo series as an adaptation compared to this action flick. This one is entertaining but it's not a series I can see myself rewatching when I'm bored.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Huh. I don't think I know what happened exactly, but I'm glad it's not happening anymore. I hope they'll be happy together. oO
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Huh. I don't think I know what happened exactly, but I'm glad it's not happening anymore. I hope they'll be happy together. oO

I'm imagining Akechi-kun and 20F living happily ever after on some deserted island. Don't worry Akechi-kun, the detective agency is in good hands, Inoue is even wearing your old shirts. Laughing

Well, at least the show stayed consistently bad until the very end, i suppose?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
Well, now that they've exchanged bullet scars, they can compare them on the beach and reminisce about the good times.

I thought Akechi was actually 20F until he finally showed up, because they made it a point to show us the cuffs and pools of blood, but his wrists were perfectly fine and unmarked. Then I remembered I was watching Trickster, and Trickster ain't got time for continuity. Trickster don't care.

Like, what happened to brainwashed police girl? Is she under house arrest in the penthouse for the rest of her life?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3