• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 824 The Detective Boys Home Alone

That was pretty bad. I think the spoiler[darts] were in a different spot almost every shot they were in (not to mention multiplying like rabbits there at the end), and they were in a lot. Also, I guess Conan has super powers now. Or else he's been secretly hanging out in pubs raking it in. Also, these kids have become waaaay too jaded about seeing dead bodies.

Like herding cats. Very Happy Mitsuhiko is adorable though.
Entelechy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Might as well start off with the big question

Who do you think is the leader (Anokata/ "That Person), of the Black Organization?

Apparently, in an interview, Gosho Aoyama has admitted that the leader has spoiler[been featured in the story but hasn't given many more clues about his identity... other than denying the idea that it is Dr. Agasa.]

Aw, dang. That's who I thought was the leader of the Black Organization. I've only seen up to the late-400s for the episodes though, so I have hundreds of eps to formulate a new theory!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Too bad we only remember to bring this thread up when a stinker comes up... but boy was that a stinker. I was just letting it flow up until "Marv" got stuck badly in the glue and had the bookshelf dropped on him... and then he was out... with no sign of it happening. Rolling Eyes

The last manga based episode was really fun though. Ai acting so humorously out of character, "bonding" with Mouri over their investigation. The case was pretty solid. They kept some really important clues up until the end though.

Still though... filler fatigue. I know the filler is necessary but the lack of forward progress is sooo annoying. Maybe doubly annoying is how the ongoing story switched rather suddenly and completely from The identity of spoiler[the girl living with Sera] to Conan trying to find out information spoiler[and maybe identify "Rum".] Here we were learning about spoiler[Sera and her relationship with Akai and brothers] and then it's dropped like a bad date.

Well, it looks like an upcoming episode is another flashback to Shinichi and Ran's trip to New York- which is apparently very key to the story of spoiler[Akai,] so maybe they'll get back to that one soon afterall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 827

Hey, a kicky new ED that's fun to watch. Since they apparently have 2 lead guitars, they shoulda given Ayumi a bass and put Ai on keyboards. They didn't even get tambourines!

The mystery looks like it might be shaping up into something decent, although the artificial way they've dribbled out the clues could've used some more work. Like "none of the 3 suspects have any connection to the victim. Except for this and this and this and this and this and..."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 830 A Cottage Surrounded by Zombies Pt. 1

So did those people really think that story sounded totally reasonable? "We looked for him until we got thirsty, and then left to go have some beers. Four days later we came back..." oO On top of that they leave Mouri, poisoned and clearly in respiratory distress, all alone, and then forget all about him.

Still, this might be fun. At least it's a break from Detective Boys, with Hattori to boot.

Edit: Well, it turned into a 3-parter, and a pretty good one at that. This was actually one of the better mysteries they've done in ages. Though what a terrible way to die for that first guy. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 833 The Great Detective's Weakness

That wasn't too bad. Mouri actually figured stuff out for once. Conan hardly had anything to do at all. I only raised a brow at how blatantly they ripped off spoiler[the finale of Erased, right down to the wheelchair on the hospital roof, attempted suicide, and falling into an airbag! (not necessarily in the same order)]

I just can't get enough of that ED. I'm not in love with the song, but the animation just mesmerizes me. I love the part where the girls all look so miserable singing about their weekday life (Ai is so depressed she can't even move her head), and Genta competently pounding away on his drum kit is a treat. He so rarely gets to do anything that isn't stupid or food or both.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
yay slow pace Neutral

Since last we talked, almost a dozen anime originals of varying lesser quality, 3 remastered episodes (well, two- one next week) that they won't give to Crunchyroll, another almost confession of supporting characters, a neat special episode (infuriatingly also not given to CR- but fansubbed) and the BIG REVEAL that the little girl who lives with Sera spoiler[wears mascara]!! Anime exclamation Exclamation Anime exclamation (sarcastic spoiler)

This two-parter with Conan "in the coffin' was one of the infuriating originals.
Conan has strange shifting levels of mobility.
Inventions are misused and forgotten:
-Hey, the badges run on a radio signal (and probably retconned since as GPS) as we've seen in the past, you don't need the glasses, just another thing that can pick up the signal.
-Why did you suddenly decide the soccer ball wouldn't be any help?
-Yes, wait until the last moment to kick yourself out. Earlier wouldn't work.
YES, YOU SHOULD CALL THE POLICE!
You know, instead of emptying a body out of a coffin- you could just ask if he's in there- you are talking to him- and he can hear things outside.
Why would they be throwing away dry ice and incense?
Um... yes, drive up, turn off the engine, immediately crush the car... I'm sure how that works. wouldn't want to strip it for parts, remove the battery or empty the fuel line. Just crush it.

ugh, some originals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
YES, YOU SHOULD CALL THE POLICE!

I still enjoyed 845-6, but this did have me Rolling Eyes . Especially the "we have this much information now, so let's split up and look on foot instead of calling the police who have hundreds of people across the city who could be looking." And radios. It's not like they'd be written off as stupid kids. One mention of Conan and the entire police force would drop what they're doing to help.

And dumping the body instead of asking Conan bothered me too (never mind the radio, just knock on the coffin. "Hey Conan, you in there? Knock back if you are." And the dry ice. And...well you already covered it all, so, "what you said." Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
853-4

Finally some decent episodes! I enjoyed the different pov between Ran and Shinichi. I guess he really is a genius, to be reading at that level in kindergarten. But yes, looks like he's always been a jerk. Never grew out of that. Also always nice to see his parents, and Koguro in his police days sans pimpstache.

Did the spoiler[teacher] not know her father was a cop? oO Clearly didn't think that one through...
NihonScope

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
It's still going strong this craziness... my wife has caught up through all the episodes currently available...

I tried... I just couldn't keep watching it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
Episodes 866-867

That was pretty decent. Nice to have half of the Black Organization back together again. Very Happy I'm starting to wonder if any of their operatives besides Gin and Vodka actually want to be there, since most of them seem to be undercover police of one sort or another. Smile

Wow, Conan sure made out like a bandit on this case! Smile But poor Ayumi-chan. How many times is she going to learn that people that are nice to her can be evil before she loses faith in humanity altogether?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
881-882

That was a nice pair of episodes that actually had some main-plot relevance, even though the case itself kinda sucked. Still, every time they do a kid-Shinichi episode, I'm struck by what a bratty little kid he was. He's a much nicer kid as Conan, but since adolescent Shinichi is also still a jerk, it can't be just because he's more mature now. I think hanging out with sweet kids like Ayumi and Mitsuhiko has been good for him. Smile Either that or all the blows to the head from Mouri have mellowed him.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe his disposition is the reason Ran never gets further in suspecting the truth. He's such a good kid it doesn't jibe with the brat she knew.
(Yes, I know they created the perfect cover story back when she did suspect the truth- but... SHE GREW UP WITH HIM!)

This episode did have the very odd reverse problem that all anime seemed to have up until a couple years ago. Up until just recently, an anime character with a smartphone was a rarity, even though they had become the standard for modern phones everyone still had flip phones, but now we have an episode set 10 years in the past (when the original Iphone was the only single screen touch phone available) and Shinichi's mom doesn't only have a smartphone but it's one with the ease of use and speed of a modern phone.

..of course, when the series ends in about 10 years... I guess it will fit then.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 885-886 – Solving Mysteries at the Poirot Cafe

Post credits scene. Unless that girl is related to the Black Organization she seems like a really strange addition to the manga/anime at this point... just a really late romantic rival that doesn't have a chance and yet another teen detective in a show packed with them.
I had to go to the episode wiki to remind me where she showed up before (very late in the Nue Monster case- nothing to do with the case).

Case was decent, although I figured out who it was I thought the solution would be that spoiler[he had turned off the lights in the bathroom in order to become accustomed to the dark. The lack of a flush sound and the inconvenience of putting a bloody tube back in a toilet roll IN THE DARK seemed odd too].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Didn't someone lampshade it by mentioning that there were a lot of detectives around? Very Happy

Interesting info about early Holmes in Japan. I kept wondering what he was doing with his phone, and even more why no one asked him what he was doing. I guess they figured he was making a YouTube video out of the crime scene...

Speaking of crime scene, lol at "Don't mess up the murder scene!" "I'm not dead yet." "Oh ok, then skip the police and just call an ambulance!" But even if blood had been all over one of them, why wouldn't they need the police?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8