• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Your Name. (English Dub)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
I wish I could see it, but the only showing I know of is slammed on the one day I'm crazy busy. Damn it all, time to wait for home media.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
My experience watching the movie:

[ removed this portion of my post, as I felt it might spoil for those who haven't seen the movie ]

And I sat there waiting for the movie to end afterwards. And in that time, I realized a huge plot hole that just took me out of the entire movie - spoiler[in all the time they spent in each others bodies, neither one of them noticed that they're living in different years?] How is that possible? Like, forget all the magic stuff, it just seems ridiculous that they didn't notice when they're literally on their phones and at school for most of the screen time. No date check? Not even once? The girl literally has to sign a time sheet whenever she went to the guys job. Did I miss some small detail that explains this?

Ignoring that issue, however, I still felt the movie was alright. Took a long time to get started, and the climax felt like it happened a bit before the actual climax, kinda leaving the movie on auto for the remainder of the time. Maybe it's because I'm clueless about the Japan incident the article mentioned, but I didn't find this incredibly amazing. But, it wasn't bad. I'd honestly give it like an 8/10. Definitely an improvement of Shinkais previous work.

Last edited by Treeborn on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
I saw this subbed in flight on Delta a month or so ago, and when I saw the "Watashi (huh?!)… Boku? (huh?!)… Ore? (nods)" line, I immediately felt bad for whoever was going to have to translate that.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
It does seem like they remember quite a bit though. For instance, when Mitsuha spoiler[is wishing she went on the date instead of Taki, she remembers the exact time and part of the date they are likely on at that moment.] So, it seems a little too convenient that the spoiler[year is the only thing they don't remember. I mean, they write in each others phone calenders.]

Edit: the post I responded to has been removed lol oh well.

Last edited by Treeborn on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:

And I sat there waiting for the movie to end afterwards. And in that time, I realized a huge plot hole that just took me out of the entire movie - spoiler[in all the time they spent in each others bodies, neither one of them noticed that they're living in different years?] How is that possible? Like, forget all the magic stuff, it just seems ridiculous that they didn't notice when they're literally on their phones and at school for most of the screen time. No date check? Not even once? The girl literally has to sign a time sheet whenever she went to the guys job. Did I miss some small detail that explains this?

That is actually explained, yes. spoiler[The month and day between the worlds remain the same, so that doesn't immediately jump out to them as strange in a day-to-day sense, but the three-year difference doesn't strike them as odd because every time they switch, their brain responds to the experience as if it's a dream. It actually takes them both multiple switches to even realize that it's a real day they're experiencing elsewhere in the world instead of a dream. Waking from a dream gives you a muddied understanding of what you experienced; you don't retain details that aren't emotionally important to you. So if the time of year was the same, the stuff that you can feel and sense, that stayed with them. But a year is just a number. The summer of 2015 isn't going to literally feel much different from the summer of 2012, and the one thing that might throw them off (advances in technology) is easily written around by having the future take place in Tokyo and the past take place in the boonies. Taki assumes that the boonies have dumpier technology, Mitsuha assumes that the city is fancier. It all makes sense because the movie reinforces that their brains are treating the switches like our minds treat dreams, which also explains why they forget the other world rapidly if they don't go back to it often enough.]

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
This actually plays near me on the 7th but I can't see it because of work and lack of transportation glad to hear it lives up to the expectations of many I'll just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Apologies to nit-pick, but it was dubbed by NYAV Post (in co-operation with Anime Limited) rather than Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Awkward. They should have either left the song in Japanese or not have made weird changes to Rebecca Butler's English cover lyrics (featured here on this site before, and yes she confirmed that they asked to reference her already perfect lyrics).

I don't know, I knew they wouldn't know wtf to do with the first person pronoun scene. I had hoped beyond hope they might get rid of the pronoun thing altogether and maybe change it to "pardon me? my apologies? Sorry? ... My bad?"

But they don't ask me...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Apologies to nit-pick, but it was dubbed by NYAV Post (in co-operation with Anime Limited) rather than Funimation.

Thanks! Article's been updated.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to hear the dub is solid. I still think Stephanie Sheh is a bad fit for Mitsuha though.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
And I sat there waiting for the movie to end afterwards. And in that time, I realized a huge plot hole that just took me out of the entire movie - spoiler[in all the time they spent in each others bodies, neither one of them noticed that they're living in different years?] How is that possible?

I don't think that's particularly weird. spoiler[How often do you check what year it is? That's generally something you have to do deliberately, and they had no reason to assume time-travel was occurring. As Jacob said, the month and day are the same (and I guess neither was a leap year?). My phone doesn't display the current year anywhere obvious. I think most people have had the experience of forgetting what year it is a few times shortly after New Year's. Factoring in the distraction of inhabiting someone else's body, it'd be an easy detail to miss.]

I kinda wondered what they were going to do about the watashi/boku/ore scene; weirdly using the third person is probably as close as you can get, though it might have been better to make the joke something completely different, instead of trying hopelessly to emulate a gendered "me" pronouns joke in a language that doesn't have any.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I won't lie, but this was one beautiful film. Great story and breath taking visuals. I love Shinkai's lighting techniques. It just resonates good feelings with in me. I'll pass on the dub. I was lucky enough to catch a free unused ticket the day of the NYICFF. Truly thankful for that.

I highly recommend anyone that hasn't seen it to go see it. And of course we know Funimation will be releasing this later this year. Which was announced at the festival. So we won't have to wait too long.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
While I still have interest in seeing Your Name once it's released in physical format, I have to wonder why Shinkai keeps rehashing the whole "long distance relationships suck" setup for all his films. In spite of the hype for his film direction, I was not on board for when he milked the setup for the more fantasy/ sci-fi heavy titles he made like Voices of a Distant Star, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days since they felt too grandiose for such a grounded plot setup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Your Name won't be playing at any of my local theaters. Ah well, I'll just wait for the home media release to watch it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm driving out of town just to see this film, so I'm glad to hear it holds up! And considering that my opinion of Shinkai is (was?) fairly similar to Gabriella's, I'm hoping for a good time! That said, my sister and I lucked out in snagging a subbed showing, since we'd heard there were pronoun-specific lines that might give the localization team a hard time. Well, that, and I'd just watched two series back-to-back that prominently featured Stephanie Sheh, so I was a little tired of hearing her everywhere; nothing against her voice or anything, just aural fatigue, if that's a thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2