• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scum's Wish (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

I rated this around decent in the end.

It was....fine. I mean, they got across the point pretty well in terms of the premise and character relationships. To be fair, no one really won in the end as the show explores more or less of a mature coming age story. Akane does change somewhat with the influence of Narumi. Ebato's physical change represents her of moving on from Hanabi and accepting that their relationship will be just a very close friendship. I like her new look too.

All in all, I felt the show had a good degree of realism as it explored many concepts of human emotions and a lot of the characters can be relatable. The soundtrack was definitely one of the stronger technical aspects.

I had mixed feelings on some of the characters though, in particular Moca. Just couldn't ever find myself liking her role in the show at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
I really liked this show. I'll confess to liking the amount of physical contact in this show as well. Nothing wrong with showing some intimacy.
Narumi and Akane'sspoiler[ instant decision to marry] came too fast for me. spoiler[Akane's change] though was well done. The show does a good job in showing that wanting to make someone change rarely, rarely works. People more often change when they make the choice themselves and when they're accepted as the person they are, flaws and all. I don't believe she'll cheat on the guy as long as she feels their connection is real. I can see why people still want to burn her in a fire (hmm... have I seen a poster type this a few times Wink?), but I don't think that would solve anything.
She doesn't seem that narcistic now that she found a real connection instead of feeling detached and trying to bury that feeling. I'm quite confident that she now has more insight into the pain she caused others and she will take that knowledge with her for the rest of her life. However, giving Akane all the blame isn't the right way, I believe. All the men she slept with - they voluntarily did it. If they were in a relationship, they are the ones that were wrong far more than Akane was. The women who felt they were wronged by Akane should've taken action themselves if they wanted a guy that badly or accept that their infatuation probably wasn't meant to be. Why would you want a guy that doesn't go 100% for you? Sure Akane was harsh an unkind for rubbing it in and laughing at the women's feelings, making them feel unconfident. Also sleeping with underage students is a no go. It wouldn't have mattered for the infatuations these women had at the time though. If their relations were good, Akane couldn't have had an influence on them.
The little touch of spoiler[giving Hanabi a rose] was a good one.

It was strange how they made the parallel of Akane and Narumi's mother. I'm sure people unconsciously look for qualities their beloved family member have in other persons, but this ultimately made it look like he was falling for her only because she looked like his mother, which makes it feel unhealthy. They could've explored that further.

I'm fine with spoiler[Mugi and Hanabi parting in the end. They didn't ever seem like they were really in love,] even if the attachment and connection was there. It would've been nice if we saw some more connection of Hanabi with her fellow classmates, as a sign that she really is moving on. The strict girl in the school festival would've been a nice candidate for a fun friendship. So easy to tease.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

They actually did it, they did not end up together and that is kind of fantastic. Too often movies and all sorts of media like to romanticise certain things like romance in general, and it can kind of have some bad influences where people do things that are just not healthy. Hanabi and Mugi were not healthy together, at least that is what their foundation was, and they did not seem to get past that enough, Hanabi wanted to be with him because she did not want to be alone, and that is kind of totally unnecessary for her at this time of her life. She is a high school student, she does not need to latch onto the first together relationship with some guy, especially with neither of them really knowing who they themselves are. I don't think Hanabi was doing a hard no to that guy who was asking her out, that is in the sense that it is not personal to him and she is kind of thankful, but she really needs some time that she might be able to build a more healthy connection.

Some people always seem to act so visceral when a long haired girl cuts her hair short, but it should be able to see what it meant to her and that it was but one part that she had to move past her first love. And I kind of think it is cute, I kind of like short haired girls, and more power to her. And talking about power, go on Moka for finding her own strength in her femineity instead of the look for validation of being a princess to a prince. I actually kind of feel like she was underused, Moka especially had a great story about trying to match reality up to fantasies fed to young girls about princesses and princes, and hers was in kind of bucking that fantasy and finding worth in herself. In general it was just a bit lower in focus of Ecchan's own story of kind of forcing her lesbian infactuation on her friend, not that I did not like that story and how it was played up against Hanabi's also escape through pure physical contact.

This show could be kind of hard to watch. Although also easy in some other ways in how it could be so hot with the make out sessions, but there was always an uneasy feeling that those moments were tainted and unhealthy, but you maybe could forget that at times. I am not sure I can compare it to match much that could be so conflicting of watching being anxious for more, but also anxious of what more was, like how far it would fall. But in the end it kind of got super healthy for the characters, even like with the venomous villain getting a healthy relationship, and this is in spite that the main dup did not end up together. But I repeat the opinion that such stakes are the Hollywood like ideal happy ending, but for these high school students there is more to consider than living happily ever after with the first prince that happens to climb your hair up the tower. The story is saying that sometimes it is okay for relationships to end, and if you remove the rot you maybe can survive some good bits.

I think among the most kind of honest and true part of this last episode was frustration, as something that we humans can relate with, and how it can remove boundaries of trying to live up to an image. Point made, the angry girl from her class yelling at Hanabi for not doing well enough was kind of great. There was no trying to be nice to appeal to the image Hanabi gives off of being a mature girl who can be dependable. In my opinion it was one of the good things in Hanabi's character in how we could have looks behind her curtain in how she could be frustrated with things, it was most honest when we saw her expressing some frustration. My point of view with Akane giving the flower was that she was kind of encouraging Hanabi that it can be better to look for something more real than whatever just feels good at a time. Flowers were kind of a weird thing with the show, I would be kind of interested to see a deconstruction of what flowers often meant.

On to presentation. Blood- complained about it, but I kind of clap for the kind of unique use of frames like that from a manga, I kind of actually forgot about it at times, and I think it was kind of a smart way to take the stuff used in manga an be able to do things like balance the focus of a scene. I think that the opening and ending well show the kind of rotten nature, yet how the intimacy can kind of act as a support. The ED especially had the sexuality in it that kind of took me by surprise, and yet the chaotic nature giving it a kind of unappealing feel that kept it from being pure escapist. Animation and art was not hugely fancy, but I do think in general it did its work to set tones. I rate the show as Good (7/10), unlike some I do not really have a bad taste after the end of the show, I think that it was good for how it ended the way it did. I might only mark it down a bit because I think that it is kind of hard to watch, things get so hot and heavy with tinges of corruption that it is not as easily digestible as something that might be more pure.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Some people always seem to act so visceral when a long haired girl cuts her hair short,

It's just a pet peeve of mine cause it never looks good. Anime hyper And it happens WAY too often for even more dumber reasons than "heartbreak".

The only short cut I've ever liked was Haruhi Suzumiya's....that really really suits her.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't like Ecchan's new hair either. She cut it too short.

Chiibi wrote:
WOW Moca.....she actually looks like a woman. xD I didn't even RECOGNIZE her!! o_o

lol, I thought it was Akane at first! Damn, I suck.

Uhm, I really liked this show. However I feel like the show died down a bit in these last two episodes. I liked the tension, drama and when everything was crappy for everyone. I don't mean to say that these last two episodes sucked, but I feel like they were probably the weakest episodes in the show for me. Honestly the ending left me a bit unsatisfied. But the show was super-duper awesome prior to these last two episodes. So I'm giving this show a Very Good rating. When this show was good, it was so good that I couldn't stop watching.

And whatever that soundtrack is that plays in episode 10 around 18:00 mark is fantastic. I can't get enough of it. Gives me goose bumps. Same with the soundtrack that for example plays in episode 5 around 10:30 mark.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

lol, I thought it was Akane at first! Damn, I suck.

I DID TOO. DON'T FEEL BAD. Anime hyper

Moca looked VERY much like Akane with make-up and without her twin tails. Afterall, their hair color is quite similar, plus the way the scene was shot, you couldn't tell how short she was.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12 (finale) ... Flowers were kind of a weird thing with the show, I would be kind of interested to see a deconstruction of what flowers often meant..
Tempting.

Where would you like to start? Flower symbolism has multiple layers. in general, in anime and in this particular series. I can’t claim expertise in these matters but peeling the layers has been among the most fun exercises for this story too.

The question you’ll encounter - for yourself and from other viewers/readers: “Aren’t you taking this too far?” The cues have to be in the series for the connections to be valid but beyond that, there is no, “too far”. Arguably literature is about setting people off on a journey, to follow the depicted characters, explore their lives within the story but also an open invitation to explore what the sources may be for their creation. To explore those sources even after the connection to the starting point is long lost...

To begin from the end. In this final episode that line of thought is hinted at, once again. Some will say too vaguely to matter but the series has been so blatant about its use of flowers and other symbolic elements right from its OP and its Title Cards that there really is no need to place limits on such imaginative flights of fancy. Moka’s wings, kamome kamome Noriko, aren’t the only wings depicted nor the white roses on her dress the only flowers.

The episode opens with Hanabi by a vending machine, a fanciful modern spring, in which she drops coins and from which she collects a warm bottle of honey lemon water. Among the other choices is a row of drinks, labeled with an image of a winged horse, Pegasus. Hanabi’s honey lemony drink is cold by the time her acquaintances on the class committee leave her alone. We’re left with the image of her upturned flask, a trash basket in which a crumpled pet bottle has been dropped on top. The kind of water bottle she shared with Mugi throughout the series. It is a very deep well, if you want it to be.

Taking Pegasus as our first lead we can take many flights of fancy and almost immediately we get taken to a mountain stream. The well spring of ancient muses. Are the Pierian roses a pre-planned stop by the creators of Kuzu no Honkai? Who knows. Does it matter? It is extremely unlikely there will ever be confirmation on that but … after you read the poems, you wouldn’t consider your time wasted there, would you, while those who do, don’t really matter. Moca isn’t the only one who wouldn’t allow her wings to be clipped.

Hanabi, reluctantly drafted, wears the committee hoody with flower motif. Underneath the abstracted flower, in ambiguous Romaji, it says Kikyou-sai. Sai probably for Bunka-sai, for cultural festival. A festival of cultural displays perhaps not just used as a backdrop but depicted for its original intent as well. To give students a different way to develop an interest in culture. There are many ways forward from there. Kikyou is the flower but the word for it can be transliterated into various kanji. All with different meanings of their own. Leading to different iconographic traditions.
Kikyou, as asagao, appears echoed through the "nanakusa" teas, and might well lead to what might well be the origins of Hanabi's thoughts and sentiments questioned at the very beginning of the series.

Kuzu no Honkai doesn’t restrict itself to just one interpretation. The only valid conclusion to draw is that it reflects on its characters and on us. On that there is no real argument. Those who wish to dispute that are not worth our time, for this particular stream of consciousness. Getting information from the internet is like getting a glass of water from Niagara falls. The cup runneth over…

Do you want to start from the red roses?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7