• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Boruto - Naruto Next Generations GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Art got an A???? Did you not see Snapesuke?
Los!Los!Los!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you gave that disgusting art an A
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

even i admit that it seriously left something to be desired. otherwise it wasnt that bad at all.

Amy McNulty wrote:
This early on, that only makes sense; plus, it's quite true to the enigmatic character of Orochimaru, who, reformed villain or no, will never be entirely trustworthy.

one problem with that. orochimaru is NEVER trustworthy. also HIM REFORMED??? How is that even possible considering how much of an engima he was? did saskue did what itachi did to kabuto and used the izanami on him?

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Agreed. I wouldn't say the art is horrible by any means but it doesn't "seamlessly" continue Kishimoto's style.

I can't understand why they redesigned Sarada's outfit to something so ugly and ridiculous for a field ninja (yes a micro skirt and sailor attire just scream battle-ready and stealth).

I'm cautiously excited for the anime adaptation but so far this manga has done nothing to inspire me to collect it alongside the parent series.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I can't understand why they redesigned Sarada's outfit to something so ugly and ridiculous for a field ninja (yes a micro skirt and sailor attire just scream battle-ready and stealth).

Because Naruto and the gang always wore such stealthy ninja outfits, hell Naruto wore bright orange.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Because Naruto and the gang always wore such stealthy ninja outfits, hell Naruto wore bright orange.

There's a difference between color and design... You can use the most technologically advanced military suit despite it's color, but it's hard to go to war on mini skirt...
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

There's a difference between color and design... You can use the most technologically advanced military suit despite it's color, but it's hard to go to war on mini skirt...

Sakura and Ino wore very similar outfits to Sarada and the Mizukage fought in a dress.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
A bracelet that lets the wearer use elemental jutsu they haven't learned. Why does that sound familiar...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The art improves by the end of Volume 2, but these early chapters are pretty bad lol, not A worthy.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Cant say Im a fan of the art especially what they did to Konohamaru's hair in vol 2. Im very much hoping that the Boruto anime will keep the designs of Shippuden instead of following the manga just like with the movie.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Sakura and Ino wore very similar outfits to Sarada and the Mizukage fought in a dress.

Uh no they both had shorts on under (or bandages in Ino's case) that allowed for easy mobility. That miniskirt and those high heels aren't practical at all and frankly disturbing on someone so young (not to mention how ugly the redesign looks in general). I can only imagine the stupid jokes and possible panty shots that will come from this...
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Art gets an A? Sorry but I couldn't take anything in the review seriously after seeing that.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
A lot of people can't get over the fact that Ikemoto draws with a generally more realistic style than Kishimoto, which early on can sometimes contribute to a sort of uncanny effect.

However, by and large, he's a far better artist than Kishimoto. His art is extremely detailed, for one, and he has an exceptional aptitude for drawing action.

Also worth noting that a majority of fans have only read ugly bootleg scanlations, which often have redrawn lineart and photoshop filtered screentones because their scans have a lot of artifacts that they cover up.

Additionally, the tankobon has some art corrections throughout.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Not defending the design choice (re: Sarada) but Temari's original outfit was a "too tight to be 'realistically' useful for fighting mini-skirt".

Also, am I the only one that finds it a little silly that "angry with his over-worked dad" Boruto is so enamoured with "COMPLETELY absentee dad" Sasuke?

edit: Re: Sarada, this appears to be some Chinese fan-work, but makes a pretty awesome look for her.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/72/4b/38/724b384841693d26ec092a33cb9f865f.jpg
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The art improves by the end of Volume 2, but these early chapters are pretty bad lol, not A worthy.

Yeah, at the point where the manga is at right now, the art is incredibly similar to Kishimoto's. Nevertheless, it feels forced to an extent, but I guess that's the result of it being a manga not drawn in the author's natural style. All in all though, I think I can see where this artist's contributions were in Naruto: The wide-angle shots of the scenery look exactly the same (rather than just quite similar), so I suspect he did a lot of the wide-angle shots in the original series, and here is a manga with the same level of detail on the characters as there are in the backgrounds.

Something about its writing also makes it feel less interesting to read than most of its brethren in Viz's Shonen Jump. I can't really put my finger on what it is, but I feel the writing is as forced as its art. Then again, that may be because they need to make Boruto interesting and consequential in a world where you have people like Naruto and Sasuke who are horrendously strong. Or maybe Boruto doesn't feel very likable as a character for me. It also has the Michael Eisner Disney direct-to-video vibe where it feels like I'm seeing the same story again, only with new characters and set a few decades later.

HeeroTX wrote:
Also, am I the only one that finds it a little silly that "angry with his over-worked dad" Boruto is so enamoured with "COMPLETELY absentee dad" Sasuke?

It is silly, but I also find it believable. Boruto seems to be in a rebellious "I hate you Dad!" phase, and it'd be logical that he'd be into someone who's Naruto's direct opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2