• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
My own intepretation is that Kobayashi is not a lesbian. She seems pretty asexual to me. I wouldn't take anything she says in one of her drunken stupors seriously.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
"In Vino Veritas"

... or for a more sober avenue for re-evaluation:
"Boston Marriages: Romantic but Asexual Relationships among Contemporary Lesbians" - Esther D. Rothblum, Kathleen A. Brehony (Editors)

The text can be searched online, via Google Books, but doing so yielded no results for dragon(s).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

That was not a fun watch for me. I totally get what they were going for, but it's a little late in the game when you've had 12 straight episodes of mostly light-hearted, cute fun to suddenly wheel out the srs bizness. Obviously, I'm happy that Kobayashi, Tohru and Kanna get to stay together (for the moment) and that Kobayashi has progressed so far she's actually taking them to meet her family, but it didn't erase the heaviness of the rest of the episode.

Plus, Tohru's father brought up a very good point: her presence and the presence of the other dragons might inspire other dragons to do the same, but with much harsher consequences for humanity. Really, it's a concept I don't need to be thinking about in what is a cute, funny, heart-warming show.

If they wanted to dabble with a problem between Tohru and Kobayoshi, they could have explored the ramifications of Tohru realizing her lifespan is a lot greater than Kobayoshi's. That would have been at least been an issue that arises organically from their relationship as opposed to an external factor like a hardass father (who actually has a valid argument).

Oh well, even though I'm not a fan of the finale, I still have to rate this show Excellent, of course.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
(finale)

Well the emotional impact of the episode hit me more, and that if there was any more reason to show the importance of the relationship, then it was to show life without it. That Kobayashi could in a sense live without Tohru, her life would be a bit of a mess and Kanna might not get everything she needs for a family, but it would still go on. But right from seeing what Tohru really wants, it was enough to have Kobayashi speak up for her even when her own fragility was so on display, that standing up for her family was worth more than the risk. Of course there were all good points, that her father was not straight up wrong on his points, but feelings matter.

It was the end of character development that the tempered hate of humans on Tohru's part was pushed to a sort of pity, that she was faced to the prospect hurting herself in the long term, but grabbing the now and making that worth the while was important. Kobayashi was now taking her family to her parents, which would clearly create all sorts of confusion, that she has paired up with a woman and there is a kid, and I can see that Kobayashi will be entirely honest, that she does not feel like it is something to be embarrassed about, that it is not worth much or getting in the way of something "normal". The expectation would be that Kobayashi's parents would want her to find some guy and have a normal relationship to make a normal family and get grandkids for them. But if Tohru could stand so strongly up to her father, then Kobayashi can face her own, and if her parents really care about her they should not devolve into utter conflict. Even behind Tohru's father's words, it was clear that he cared about her, and that in the end he could give some faith for her decisions.

It is not like it is a straight up story of a lesbian relationship, where parents would disapprove and the like, Tohru and Kobayashi's relationship is not quite like that. But there are kernels that connect it, and that in ways, and that there are other things that could be taken. Like the sex part is removed for instead being a human and a dragon, and other parts should not be pulled down. I liked the dynamic, it was fun and I do think it made me believe that this was a family unit that cared about each other.

Not sure how to transition, but Kanna has to specifically be brought up. I first thought she would be kind of intrusive, forcing her way into the story and relationship, but the little Blue Eyed White Dragon was really pretty adorable, that she felt like she went at her own pace that she was not some cookie cutter character, and only ended up adding to the relationship. And the other characters too like Fafnir, Saikawa, and others, I think even Lucoa was even having a part when taken in the light that she is just being herself, and if her giving into demands to change her clothes would make people happy.

In general I think that this show has been proof that a good execution can really save something, something people would scoff at by being the lowest type of show, but actually be really charming, with plusses in things like animation without really going for what the big shows general try. Easy attribute for anime would be Kyoto Animation, which has shown before that they can do really well with these type of series that are just kind of calming, and yet a little crazy. I give it a rating of Excellent (9/10), in full it has really been consistent well made and enjoyable show, that has done more than I could have expected, and just one nice good complete package.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (complete)

Final episode was pretty entertaining.

I must say, this was a very fun ride and they actually made this episode feel more thrilling with the conflict of supernatural forces and dragons. Kobayashi takes steps up her game big time to make her point. The dragon fight was dope. I love how Tooru defends Kobayashi in the end. A happy ending too!

Kobayashi and Tooru had one of the most charming character chemistry from this Winter season imo. Everything about them makes me want to see them more and more. Unfortunately, this is the finale. This was a very fun show imo from start to finish. Rating it as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope that we will see a second season sometime in the future since the manga is still ongoing and there's a few storylines that weren't adapted into the show.

There's also a Kanna spinoff manga, so there's also a chance that we could see that animated as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 am Reply with quote
OVA

Aw, Tohru's relationship levelled up. I did find it pretty funny how earlier in the episode Kobayashi spoiler[rightfully guessed that Tohru would try to pull something on Valentines day, made it clear that she would take it, but the damage to her trust] would not be something Tohru would like. And Tohru knew that it was not worth it.

But at the end, with something Kobayashi would be more comfortable with, even if we know it surprised her in they way she is not used to such attention. But she offered her hand to Tohru, that is a step. And maybe even something of showing being receptive.

Am always fond of the family and friends element of this show.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Though this thread is now rather old, it looks like it will be revived anyway, as the 8th volume of the Kobayashi-san manga has an announcement that a second season of the anime has been greenlit.

https://twitter.com/hakuraku_bb/status/1094603331350061056

Edit: Looks like that tweet has been deleted, but here's the image of Vol. 8 of the manga:

Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
Season 2 premieres today!

Latest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u84AXLlcDgI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Yay, the show is back. That wicked!
Well, there had been short minute or so length episodes last season, but they were so short you could barely really do anything.

Thought that it was nice with Tohru having, especially since it mentioned that she was feeling bored with not having much else to do without Kobayashi and Kana. Kind of seems a bit sad then that she decided to quit, because she would not be able to devote everything to Kobayashi, like she could do things outside of her familial relationship.

For the second part, I came into this season being aware of Ilulu, that is the controversy around the character. Her being a particularly short character with particularly large breasts, which I think her character has been a subject of criticism of sexualising a child body character, as an addition that the show has had low level stuff already with the likes Kana and Saikawa. Or really boobs in general regards to Lucoa, which I think it will be fine if they don't make it the entire personality. Ilulu must be lucky for her dragon nature, because her bust is very big. The action scenes with her were pretty cool to watch.

The episode also ended with showing that there could be more to Ilulu. She also apparently turned Kobayashi into a man. I can like gender themes, so I am interested to see where this will go.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Yikes, episode 2 of season 2 really rubbed me the wrong way

Not sure if it's due to seeing all the discourse online or just being older than i was with S1, but i felt the gags and jokes really are getting offputting now. They use sexual and gender ideas that just feel discomforting and frankly, i'm probably dropping the show if this is the level of comedy they plan to go for
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure what to think of the second episode in regards to gender. Such as preferable that Kobayashi's attraction to Tohru while having a penis, could be more that she might have always been able to have an attraction to Tohru, she has just had a low sex drive. I know that I have heard from trans people that they have more of a sex drive while on testosterone, that is transmen having it raised and transwomen having it lowered. I can't say for how fair the jokes were.

Preferably Kanna not be included though.

I did like more Ilulu though, like how she was terrible at making human hands.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Feels like we finally got some insight into the relationship of Tohru and Elma, that they have in fact been friends or at least companions for lengths of time. Tohru apparently taking offense to Elma not thinking through humans relying on her and creating unjust hierarchies in following her. Elma becoming a bit more complacent with something like good food. But despite all their fighting, they still seemed to care.

The episode also introduced Ilulu to a way to spend her time, working at a candy store, a local hangout for the kids. Apparently if there is something she care about it is playing with kids, and introducing a high school boy, which Ilulu keeps pointing out as staring at her breasts. Which doesn't really come across as obscene, since he is a teenager probably having deal with urges.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Coming to the end of the season, has had me reflect on what it was that I liked about the first season, and compare my reactions to the second season. Whether something was changed coming into the second season, that I might not get the same thing out this time, or whatever. I am not sure that I could give the second season the same reaction of being super impressed, and I was kind of wondering why.

I think that elements of this last episode maybe spoke to something. I was expecting change and development, specifically whether Kobayashi and Tohru's relationship would go further, and that seemed to be the question on the front of Kobayashi's mind in the first half of this episode. The question has been left hanging if Kobayashi's sexuality is compatible with Tohru, and as much as the series is just a silly and sweet things happen sort of thing, queerness is also a key component. Not just with Tohru's affection, Saikawa's and possibly Kanna, but to go back to the first episode of this season where Kobayashi was cursed with a penis. Gender in sexuality should have been something this series should tackle at some point, but I really am starting to think that it is just unequipped for it, perhaps just from the stance of something Japanese that wants the appeal that it does. KyoAni has kind of run into a queerbaiting problem.

But the whole relationship feels like it really only came into the end of this season, which for the record did seem to hint that Kobayashi has caught feelings for Tohru, considering her unease of Tohru starting to hold back a little, along with evidence of her getting jealous of Tohru's attention to others. So it was a maybe, but the season itself finished with Kobayashi running away from Tohru trying to force her into a marriage, along with a few other times I might point to mixed messages of Kobayashi saying something that might point to her not being into women.

Anyway, other parts of the season. Ilulu was the major new character, noted for her small stature and large assets. I don't think she quite reached the problematic level that some people seemed to fear, and short stacked women are a thing. I think her character worked much better when she was aware of her teenage boy colleague's attention, along the lines that it is sort of his problem that he has a 'problem' which I kind of hope could work better with Lucoa. Kanna is still cute, if maybe bits of fanservice around her are possibly the most uncomfortable. I still like Saikawa, the lesbian primary schooler, and some of my favourite new bits were that her attraction went beyond just Kanna and also with Ilulu.

I feel like I have talked enough by now, so to give a rating. I am going with Very good (8/10). Maybe a step down from my excitement of the first season in my reaction, but I can't say in any drastic way, and the show still looks great, and had a number of well done moments, such as the episode where Kobayashi and Kanna spend a day together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5