• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Capcha before page loads?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi!

Several users on my corporate network have reported that they are getting the "The security system for this website has been triggered because spambot-like behavior has recently been detected coming from your IP address neighborhood." splash page before the page loads.

As the IT guy, I, of course, want to resolve the issue.

We are not listed on any blacklist I can find, and we are pretty locked down malware-wise.

Is there any way to see why we're getting this? I'm assuming there's a reputation service being used but without knowing which one, I can't follow up with them to see why we're getting caught in the net.

Thanks!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Is the message coming from Cloudflare?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mrakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The page is different than the old-style CloudFlare "Please wait X seconds..." page, and has the ANN mascot image on it, so I'm not sure if it's being served from Cloudflare or from ANN itself.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
I've seen two complaints on Twitter from other people also getting constant CAPTCHAs (although I've yet to see one myself).

--edit--

..although I believe both of those people are in the Industry and at the same company so I'm thinking this is probably the same case in all instances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
This problem is now fixed.

Over the last week we had an apparent DDoS problem, so I blacklisted those IPs (resulting in a captcha) except it turned out to be a bug where some browsers were requesting the same url over and over again. The effect was basically the same as a DDoS so I had to keep those catchas in place until we found the problem. Now that I've removed the responsible script, I also removed the blacklisted IPs and everything is back to normal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
The same thing just started happening to me, Dan, so it's still bugged.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The same thing just started happening to me, Dan, so it's still bugged.

This would be for a completely different reason if it just started happening.

Enter your IP address here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check and you'll see why you're getting the captcha.

Dan will whitelist you within a day or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1