• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hickey92

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
In general I have no problem with Netflix acquiring anime, since it is in addition to the stuff already on the catalogue, and I subscribe to them anyway. It isn't like Amazon's strategy of alienating the anime fanbase with a double paywall. The only real niggle I have with Netflix is that they won't relax their "binge watch everything" stance for anime, and as a result if a title is picked up by Netflix we have to wait until the entire run is over instead of seeing simulcasts like everywhere else. I get that Netflix are marketing these shows as "Netflix Originals", but this is a case where all they've done is license it, and probably shouldn't be calling it that, so I don't see how allowing for simulcasts would be detrimental to their model. I'm a good boy who accepts legal streams when they're offered to him though, so I will wait very patiently to watch Little Witch Academia rather than resort to dubious methods. I wouldn't do that to my beloved Trigger Very Happy
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
So far it seems that Netflix wants exclusive series that have international appeal, or that even if they´re set in Japan, they have some international appeal. By now, this type of selection has worked, although can anyone confirm which is the average percent on viewership for any of these shows?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
I have a Netflix subscription but no way do I wait for the shows to appear on it. I'm enjoying Little Witch Academia right now, thank you very much.
Kakyleee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
hickey92 wrote:
I wouldn't do that to my beloved Trigger Very Happy

They don't mind, though. The LWA producer did an AMA on a certain western website some weeks ago fully aware that everyone there is watching a fansub, as there is no legal stream on the West. They are cool with it. I guess they dislike Netflix's decision as much as we do.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Kakyleee wrote:
They don't mind, though. The LWA producer did an AMA on a certain western website some weeks ago fully aware that everyone there is watching a fansub, as there is no legal stream on the West. They are cool with it. I guess they dislike Netflix's decision as much as we do.

Or "Netflix already paid us a big ol' pile of money for our show, so what do we care?"
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
You know what's really annoying? Other countries outside of the US sometimes acquire shows airing on TV in the US as "Netflix originals". To keep up with the US schedule and avoid piracy, they add new episodes week-to-week.

Why is this simple concept so hard for Netflix to comprehend with anime? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
If anyone's looking for updates on what goes up when, I highly suggest following the @NetflixAnime twitter account (non official). They post when new stuff goes up, and warn when stuff is coming down. They also manage this list of what is currently available, marking new and leaving/recently left shows.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know why Netflix eliminates series from their catalog monthly? I assumed that they would be an unlimited shelf of TV series, movies and so on, but this practice means that shows and movies impossible to find that were uploaded to Netflix will once again remain difficult to find once they leave the network.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Set 30 years before the events of Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, it's a prequel to 2012's Mag

This is a little misleading. Only like the first two episodes are around 30 years before. The main and large part of this series is somewhere around 15 years (by doing the math) before the main story.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Does anyone know why Netflix eliminates series from their catalog monthly? I assumed that they would be an unlimited shelf of TV series, movies and so on, but this practice means that shows and movies impossible to find that were uploaded to Netflix will once again remain difficult to find once they leave the network.

Yep. Back in 2010, during the first big honeymoon of our love affair with streaming, we all DID, didn't we? Razz

It created what I referred to as the "Keebler Elf" fantasy of Instant Netflix--Namely, that since Netflix was still a disk service moving to streaming, they all worked hard in a back room of a hollow tree to convert all their disks to digital streams, and if you asked them for a favorite movie, or to bring an old one back, they'd be happy to.
Uh-uh. Don't work like that. Like Hulu and Amazon, they're a clearinghouse for existing streams provided by the studios, content owners and cheap third-party licensors, who giveth and taketh away.
Apart from "original series", only Crunchyroll and Funi license their own content, except for FilmStruck, which owns most of theirs already.

And as more and more Netflix (and Amazon Prime) users have noticed, the major studios have been doing a LOT of taketh-ing away with their mainstream big-studio movies in the last couple years, since they worry that subscription streaming is the "enemy" of Digital Purchase (and they're partly right), which they're counting on to save them someday from having to make all those expensive physical disks.
Although they are generous enough to send a "Care package" of one complete marketable studio franchise to Netflix every month--Eg. all four Jurassic Park movies, or all three Back to the Future movies, from the good folks at Universal.

People, you're anime fans: You of ALL people should realize that it's going to disappear if it's not on your DVD/Blu shelf, and no one's going to bring it back.
And if you weren't there during those days of guarding your fansub VHS tapes, naive trusting like this is what can happen.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is alright. I really don't have any major problems with them. They seem to pay well for their anime, and they have a built in audience that clearly wants the anime they have. But it'd be really swell for anime fans, if they did the simulcast thing. That's all I really ask for guys. Sad
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't simulcast, so I'm fine mostly. But they're getting rid of Fate/Zero on the 15th, and now I'm pissed at them for taking away BOTH of anime's greatest entries (the other is FMAB).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have a Netflix subscription but no way do I wait for the shows to appear on it. I'm enjoying Little Witch Academia right now, thank you very much.

Me, too. I'm paying for LWA anyway, so I don't see any reason why I need to follow Netflix's release schedule. Trigger gets paid either way, and so does Netflix.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

That's just how licensing works. No one really wants a deal that will last forever. You never know when it might suddenly no longer be to your benefit on either side.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the case for anyone else but I find anime on Netflix pretty much unwatchable via my Bell Fibe "cable" (technically IPTV) box, which is how I generally watch Netflix, simply because, for whatever reason, the IPTV box doesn't respect my custom subtitle option and only uses the palest, most transparent white subtitles.

If I want to watch anime on Netflix on my television, I have to do it through my XBox 360, the only other thing I have attached to my television that has an Internet connection, since my XBox 360 does show my custom subtitles. It's not generally that big a deal but it means that I have to use the XBox 360 controller instead of my remote to start. stop, pause, and rewind, which is a bit of an inconvenience.

Also, I guess this article is just the exclusives and not titles that are on other platforms because I can watch like a couple of dozen different anime on my Netflix. Or does Netflix Canada have some anime not available on Netflix USA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4