• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sagrada Reset (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote

Sagrada Reset (TV)

Genres: drama, science fiction
Themes:

Plot Summary: Nearly half the population of Sakurada, a small town near the Pacific Ocean, has some sort of unique power. These powers range from being able to enter the mind of a cat, to resetting the world back to a certain point in time in the past. There is a group known as the "Kanrikyoku" that controls and monitors the use of these powers. Asai Kei and Haruki Misora work for their school's club called "Houshi" club, which execute any missions received from the Kanrikyoku. Misora has the ability to reset the world 3 days. This means that all events and any memory of the past 3 days that "could have" happened, never happened. Kei has the ability to "remember" the past. Even after Misora uses her powers to reset the world back 3 days, Kei will retain those 3 days in his memory. Combining their powers, these two solve missions issued by the Kanrikyoku.
----------------------------------

I think this has a lot of potential. The staff is talented (including the production studio, David Production). Preview looks good and the premise sounds like I something I'm pretty interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Interesting first episode.

We got the setting (Sakurada) and the main characters. Kei seems like an interesting person and the narratives goes on to explore the premise from his point of view. Sumire also seems like an interesting person, would definitely like to know more about her as this series progresses.

There's not much comedy as it has the more atmospheric and serious feel. Animation style feels PA Workish. Definitely has my interest so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I probably should have read the plot summary of the show before watching the first episode. I may have been less confused. It's kind of an odd show in some ways, but I'm somewhat intrigued. Could anybody tell who it was that fell off the bridge at the end of the episode?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Could they? Would they? What would it mean if they did? Could they truly be right? What if no one fell off? What if someone fell off, but it wasn't anyone? If a person falls off a bridge in the middle of the forest but nobody remembers, did the person really fall?

I hope basketball dude walks into one of their conversations, looks confused, and then beats everyone up and steals their lunch money.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio, I had no idea you were such a philosophical mofo. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I can be the first one to complain about something being boring, about the arrogance of trying to act so philosophical and big winded that you have to pause and think about what characters are saying, and a setting that seems filling itself with melancholy that it almost always ends up failing later on. But so far I have my interest, which could be attributed that something like March Comes in like a Lion, and I have a kind of interest in the appearance of emotionally distant characters, but I am kind of on board so far.

My theory about the bridge and the girl so far is that the mother jumped off to commit suicide after she lost her child, and perhaps her own ability worked to create this girl who is a fake of the daughter lost, the child then saving her. There could be more facts as that is a bit too neat.

So far I am on board.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
How on earth would that girl even know that she has the reset ability if she doesn't remember using it and the outcomes of events are the same (well without involvement of the MC)?

The first time through, she's say reset and it would happen, but she would not remember doing this. The second time, she'd say reset and nothing would happen. From her perspective, what she observes is identical to a world where she doesn't have this ability, so how does she know she has it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Okay, looking at it contextually, they might be a limit to reset which limits one of its expected uses, it may not be able to bring back the dead. The implication of the conclusion of this final arc seems to suggest that Sumire was indeed in love with him, and after finding him saying that he liked Misora she went into the mountains and was the person that jumped. Effectively her asking if he would come might have been a call for help, and it seems logical to think that he may have recognised it as such after the fact. I am thinking there may be a point that he is someone who cannot help but really effectively reliving events from his past as memories, and thus the mistakes probably hit him really hard. Well I don't know for sure it is a deal that the dead are not also brought back to life with a reset, we still do not know if and what ability she may have had, and if so it looks like reset actually could have a huge side effect if this is a limit, like a person could kill someone and then there would be no evidence because they did not do it yet.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

The show is still very heavy in dialogues which I guess I'll have to get used to from now on.

The kiss was awkward. While I think the show is attempting to build character relationship between Kei and Misora, I can't feel much about them yet. Regarding Sumire and the time skip....that was strange. Somehow, I think we may see her again in the future or at least she'll continue to have a strong connection to the story.

This episode's case felt mildly interesting. I hope they make them more exciting from now on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
@ DP: I think the reset can only be used once in 24 hrs. So since he'd made her use it to cancel out the kiss, he unknowingly doomed Sumire. I wonder if she jumped expecting them to reset it, but wanting Kei to know how he would feel if she died?

Honestly, I'm happy to see her go. Although I have a feeling she's going to be back... :/

I like the machinations around using their abilities, but all the philosophical claptrap in between is boring beyond belief, especially since everyone speaks in a rushed monotone. Even Saiki K. put more emotion into his ffwd narration. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ DP: I think the reset can only be used once in 24 hrs. So since he'd made her use it to cancel out the kiss, he unknowingly doomed Sumire. I wonder if she jumped expecting them to reset it, but wanting Kei to know how he would feel if she died?

That is part of it, but order is also important. She came to his place to talk before going into the mountains, he has meeting with reset girl where kisses and then resets, and then there is the important thing. The first girl never showed for their meeting at his place before going into the mountains and was reported as found dead that time before they would do the reset.

This leaves a mystery of did events that happened the first did not repeat after the reset. The first episode actually had a strange scene added in which we see a girl in white jump off of a bridge, which must have been Sumire, which we must assume would be something she would do when she went into the mountains. Leaving aside why she jumped, with the evidence we have we to figure out why the meeting did not happen the second time, and so far I see that the best theory is in the way her power works. She said earlier that she does not actually turn back time but move everything back to how it was before, and yet memories can be returned by his power, and so I am theorising that if someone dies they are not brought back by the reset. Unless there is some other power involved.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She said earlier that she does not actually turn back time but move everything back to how it was before

I kinda forgot about that because it made no sense when she said it. On one hand, if her reset is only a local thing, maybe Sumire was "out of range"? But what does it even mean "moving things back to how they were before"? I don't see how she could put all the actors back into their original positions and mindsets, unbreak broken things (or cut flesh), reverse the growth of living things, etc., if she's not turning back time itself. And if she is, then it should be a universal reset of time, not just one locality coming unstuck from the rest of the universe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

This episode was brought to you by Kit Kat.
Kit Kat, it stops people from killing themselves.

Leaving that strange yet chuckle worthy scene that could not be anything but a paid advertisement without possibly being weirder. This show is confusing, like the order of things as it is making me confused to follow the narrative. I think that this episode was apparently two weeks after the accident despite the main story seeming to go two years afterwards, and I think that the story already went back a bit too, and that there are too few details to differentiate when these different timeframes, and a poor narrative explanation of it which just makes it all confusing. mixed up timeframes of episodes can work out, but it is not here, and eve the reset stuff is not a good enough reason.

And that does not even get into what I am quite sure is the problem with this show; it has its head up its own ass. It tries to act all smart by having all of these concepts that it will talk about, but details to these topics feel not well thought out or generally missing clear logical reasoning that it just comes across as pretty nonsense. Why is the control of people who can see the future so strong that they are practically holding them prisoner, and yet not a crime? Why did kouhai have to try and prove herself by playing the part of being a villain? Why is even somewhat a good idea that our female lead is so weak that she will only follow what the male lead says, that some arcs have been around how he could heroically do so? It is like she has no power to think for herself, and no good reasoning for it, her powers basically did nothing until she found someone who could take use of them. Their relationship is pretty unhealthy, and even if this episode looked to try and address part of it, no one is really saying she should have some faith in herself, that part of being a human is accepting things that happen because or without your actions.

All this talk of a McGuffin were just confusing because it just did not make any sense. Like it is important to get, but unimportant that it was just lying in a draw and apparently the main character is just able to use it. Perhaps there is some meta in there, but this show really does not seem that tough as it generally gives off the feeling that the details of things are important, but in the end they really are not. A character that had been introduced was a person who was apparently so afraid of germs that they stopped eating food, the fact they died could have mean such characteristics would be something to shun to fight against, but his death was undone and he seemed to take on a useful role, which just feels dangerous. Narratively it just feels like this show is a mess of ideas that they could not just weave into a cohesive whole, characters don't even feel relatable and it can feel hard to figure out what their characteristics might even mean.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (Finale)

Oh there feels like so much to say about this series, and to start now would kind of feel like you went through a reset, and then you have that thing where you remember all the other feelings you had from a different timeline. Specific to this series, and I might even call my analogy having a bit of meat to it, because I believe this show actually had a bit of a reset in it, that started out as things go being kind of confusing and without really I would say proper direction. But then somewhere along the lines it kind of started to make sense and actually I think be kind of decent, and although I would have trouble maybe pointing the exact time, I would maybe say it came with somewhat going back on Souma making such a definitive exit from the series and returning. I would say spoilers, but Souma is featured so prominently that it was downright confusing with what they did earlier on.

Saying the show became decent that it kind of started raising in the ranks of being interesting to watch, still leaves something I think is through the show in its entirety. The show tries to be pretty high concept where it kind of likes to make its audience think, and thought exercises it sets up earlier do make a comeback. But Sakurada/Sagrada Reset is also downright pretentious, it spends so much time trying to make itself be so smart with talking about things, that its characters end up sounding completely not like humans, everyone is always so quick to consistently talk about high concept things that it can be very bizarre. There are multiple times I was thinking that they are just thinking too hard, and rather thinking in terms of just thought experiments they should do things like a person and put certain emotional weight on certain topics.

It is not like this show was in that concept way being alone and without another big show having done something similar before. The Monogatari franchise is actually pretty similar in how characters can go on tangents in talking about various philosophies. The door is open to call the Monogatari franchise as being pretentious, sometimes I might even call it so, but I would say that there is actually a fairly big difference between these series, that Monogatari despite expecting one to think actually thinks quite a lot emotionally. Monogatari through its run kind of made a point that the emotions of the characters actually trumps its logic, that entire topics can be framed differently by the emotions involved, and there is a lot on the twists and lies that exist inside the various emotional mazes. Sakurada is instead logical to a fault, and our too leads were the always calm Kei who I guess is like a machine because he can recall any memory, and Haruki I feel urged to liken to a clockwork toy in terms of emotional agency.

Maybe that is how it kind of got good towards the end, because we actually had something emotional come out of these echo chambers of robot thinkers. Haruki started to actually want things (Kei) and could almost do things on her own volition. Kei went through some pretty hard stuff like the up and down of the Souma situation hitting him, plus having to face things like losing his world who Haruki was, and his mother. And Souma had her thing where under her calculated actions like a formulae to results, actually could get rather emotional with existential crisis, and not getting the one thing she wanted. But the show in full kind of commits one great sin I think in how these female characters especially functioned, that one of them seemed to practically be unable to barely function without him, acting like some sort of hand puppet in giving away her agency almost entirely, while the other does things I think like kill herself and all other stuff just for a guy she likes, and her part to him does not feel healthy either, including I would say in just concept.

Am I seeming to just kind of be pretentious in focusing on a couple specific parts while ignoring what should be fun with this series? If so then good, because that is what this show was like. It actually had a few fun concept bits, like I would say the dream arc, but even that could not be safe from I don't know what sort of strange twist where apparently that city was a mirror reflection of the town, with a normal version of town beyond(?). The villain of the series is kind of playing what he was doing low, but it is like no one actually acknowledges that the man was practically being a terrorist, where he was creating accidents to create fear to get what he wanted. And he was sucking months of those victims to get his result, within the system he should have been the worst kind, but it was like no one who found out what he was doing actually cared that the things he was doing should have been enough to have him locked up.

The show had resolution. It also had Kit Kats, seriously they had another Kit Kat appear in the final episode. It had some ups, but it also had downs that made me really wonder why I was still watching it, while really not playing nice with some comfortable expectations I felt that it needed. Also not fair that it decided to rewind on Haruki whenever she actually had some progress, trying to play it off as cool in this last episode with her having Kei's power to remember everything. Overall I would rate it So-so (5/10). Again, it did have some not to bad highs that made it an interesting watch and I think could go well for someone starting to want those sort of thinking things, but it also felt like it had some drudging lows that did not make this fun to watch, and maybe failed at making these characters feel like people. It was not Monogatari where it could use the talking to really expose the flaws and dark hidden layers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1