• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Parappa the Rapper Remastered

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
All Parappa had to do was apply some final touches.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
It's a shame Undertaker's career ended with him jobbing to Roman, but we all knew that was coming Sad

The Hardy Boys coming back was epic, though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
The fellow on the right in the first photo, damn. He knows how to show off his good looks and his body in that outfit.

Persona 5: Bandai Namco didn't permit screenshots for Tales of Berseria, and I can understand Atlus doing this to prevent massive spoilers from being posted online, but streamers and let's players aren't forcing anyone to watch their playthrough, so this whole thing is a bit out of hand. If a person doesn't want spoilers, they won't watch.

Nier Automata: It's good to hear the game is scoring better than its predecessor (even though there was nothing vastly wrong with the previous Nier), and that it has made some solid sales. A success is still a success.

Cosmic Star Heroine: I imagine this will do quite a bit better than Setsuna, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Cosmic Star Heroine looks so damn good, but then so did I Am Setsuna that I ultimately wound up being disappointed with. But, I remain hopeful that it recaptures the glory of the 16-bit JRPG days.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
If you enjoyed Splatoon, Peach Beach Splash might be the title that will cool down Summer's rising heat! Smile
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The "P5" thing is probably just a case of an old Japanese company being overly protective of its property. The "we don't want people seeing anything after this date" is especially funny when you realize their own trailers show some pretty late stuff; spoiler[the TGS 2015 trailer even had a shot from the middle of the final boss fight].
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

More like all it had to do was be an actual remake instead of lazy port of another port that did nothing besides touch up the visuals.

Quote:
You might go so far as to argue that let's plays (and one enduring example in particular) helped introduce Persona to a wide audience in the West..

I didn't know LP's and the like were a thing back in early days of the internet which is around the time the first two Persona games came out and when sites like Youtube didn't yet exist.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You might go so far as to argue that let's plays (and one enduring example in particular) helped introduce Persona to a wide audience in the West.

Not sure which LP you're crediting, but yeah for me I was introduced to the series through Two Best Friends Play's one-off look at Persona 4. Which is a shame now as they started what was clearly meant to be a full LP of 5 (based on their comments in Part 1) but was uploaded as Part 1 of 3 and it sucks that they won't be able to LP the whole game because you can just hear Pat and Woolie's childlike glee every five seconds as they start the game. And Atlus would have been in the clear if they had just requested people not post videos past that point and probably a good number of people would have complied but delivering a threat in all caps was way out of line. As Jim Sterling pointed out, this will likely cause more videos to be uploaded than normal based on simple psychological logic (although IIRC he points out this is more likely SEGA's fault than Atlus based on SEGA's immature reasons for some copyright claims) and it sucks that an incredible game (played about 5 hours so far) has to be tied with this unpleasant business. And yes, to reiterate, the company is well within their rights to do this (since they're not targeting reviews as far as I know), but to partially quote the iconic line from Jurassic Park, "...so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

BadNewsBlues: Persona didn't really take off in terms of recognition in the US until 3 and it was really 4 where it really skyrocketed.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I didn't know LP's and the like were a thing back in early days of the internet which is around the time the first two Persona games came out and when sites like Youtube didn't yet exist.

No way, don't you know? People only like Persona because of [Random Guy]'s LP. Just like DBZ is only popular here thanks to Team Fourstar

But seriously, most audiences for LPs and streamers are underaged kids who don't have money to buy games, or have no friends who pretend the LPer is their friend. Not exactly a demographic worth pandering to unless its your main audience like Minecraft or Happy Wheels
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

BadNewsBlues: Persona didn't really take off in terms of recognition in the US until 3 and it was really 4 where it really skyrocketed.

Oh that I know it's just you often hear a lot of people bemoaning how those two games made people forget about the first two Persona games.

Hunter Sopko wrote:

Given they waited until the day the game came out gives you an idea they knew this would have a negative sales and PR effect.

Yeah this thing isn't going to have any effect on sales much less PR.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

More like all it had to do was be an actual remake instead of lazy port of another port that did nothing besides touch up the visuals.

And my reference seems to have gone over everyone's heads. I'm sorry, I just thought it seemed fitting.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
The "P5" thing is probably just a case of an old Japanese company being overly protective of its property. The "we don't want people seeing anything after this date" is especially funny when you realize their own trailers show some pretty late stuff; spoiler[the TGS 2015 trailer even had a shot from the middle of the final boss fight].
You serious? First movies, now games. TV shows better not do this next.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

And my reference seems to have gone over everyone's heads. I'm sorry, I just thought it seemed fitting.

I very much appreciated that comment; further, I would add that all you ever need is to be nice and friendly.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Yooka-Laylee isn't getting the best reviews. Though it sounds like less of a train wreck than Mighty No.9 (still the one Kickstarter I truly regret backing) so that's something.

The new Senran Kagura just looks like Splatoon but with boobs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

You should've checked and turned and signaled to the joke Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2