• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do I See Different Ads When Streaming On A PC Versus A Device?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Then there are the adblocker add-ins in browsers, they kill most of the ads - which gets you a nag screen maybe. It's still the Wild West, just the frontier keeps moving.

Mark Gosdin
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally VAST was a technology that only worked over Flash,

yeah, I rememebr a previous iteration of a similar question, which was more about why streaming sites only used flash instead of html5; thigns change over the years. in a few years ads will work perfectly for tvs too and god knows what will be the equivalent of this question.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so if you're a free user and cast your shows, they get no ad revenue? I guess that must not be too common because it seems like a major flaw in their set up.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(ie. Australian ads telling me to save on car insurance)

Geico isn't Australian, just their mascot character.
(Who used to be voiced by Kelsey Grammar, before he got too expensive and the company started getting too full of their own off-topic cleverness. Which, being Geico, they do annoyingly often. Mad )

Also, I tend to see more ads for mobile app-games when I'm watching on iPad tablet--
I assume that's just targeting the ideal demographic.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I had been wondering about this, but it brings up a follow-up questions: When I watch Crunchyroll using the free version on a game system, the only ads it shows are those of Crunchyroll's other shows. Where is the ad money coming from, in this case? Does Crunchyroll actually lose money any time you watch their shows on a platform VAST is not designed for?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Use add-ons like ghostery and such to stop sites from tracking you. Most websites by default know what site you were on immediately before you came to their site. Unless you use stuff like ghostery or ublock origin. On mobile devices, there's very limited adblocking but Samsung phones have an option that works amazingly well now. As much as I want to support companies that bring anime over, I refuse to support them via ads. The whole "lets use intrusive and dangerous ads" thing just needs to stop. I don't care at what cost. Especially on mobile phones. Even on ANN, I get those fake anti-virus ads that say my phone is suddenly infected with a virus. Literally malware.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I had been wondering about this, but it brings up a follow-up questions: When I watch Crunchyroll using the free version on a game system, the only ads it shows are those of Crunchyroll's other shows. Where is the ad money coming from, in this case? Does Crunchyroll actually lose money any time you watch their shows on a platform VAST is not designed for?

Game system--eg., Nintendo handheld--or console?

I watch free-with-ads Crunchyroll on a Playstation 3 console, and it's the standard rotation of ads. (January's a time to clean out and renew simple turkey farms--And remember, if you think a train will stop if it sees a car on the tracks, and hit the new season of Super Mansion on Crackle...And no kissing on the first date, Mom.)
Can't speak for the PS4 or X-Boxes, though. The PS3 was designed to be more of a set-top media player even before Netflix and CR went streaming, so they're probably friendlier to VAST's set-top coding.

As for "Region specific", some local/state car dealer ads or political spots have turned up once in a while on the tablet, but rarely.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
With ads popping up everywhere on the internet in this day and age I Thank God everyday for ad blocker. Very Happy
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind advertisements much as it's relevant for me. I think it's just a trade-off watching something for free.

When I was in Japan watching late night anime, I watched pretty amusing advertisements that promotes Japanese mobile games, (anime/game) music CD, and various anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Game system--eg., Nintendo handheld--or console?

Yeah, I tried it on the Wii U. All I ever got were ads for the other shows. (I'm still wondering how Crunchyroll makes money, or at least avoids losing money, having people watch it in this way though.)

I never really installed it on any non-Nintendo systems I own. The Wii U happened to be the one closest to me when I decided to see what it's like.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Could also be different ad network partners for different devices, and those partners lacking ad inventory for a specific region. Of course the VAST compatibility plays a role in that, too.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
With my Hulu account @$9.95/month, those commercials are often local car dealer or even insurance ads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1