• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
They were OreImo spoilers which I thought was clear from the fact that the pictures referred to are from OreImo. The post has been updated to clarify that. I don't know any source material spoilers as I don't generally read them.

I see. Then I apologize for being so vehement in my post. I guess it's a push-button topic for me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
^Don't worry about it. That is an important issue. I should have been clear where they were from anyways.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on the season so far:

Boku no Hero and Attack on Titan - Presentation alone makes them worth watching for a nice joyride. For the stories.......it's best that I say nothing.
Granblue Fantasy - For a mobile game adaptation it's decent but I don't see myself watching anymore of this.
Alice and Zoroku - Not very impressive but it's potential to get better is still there.
The Laughing Salesman - Interesting, I'd like to know if this is completely episodic or if it'll have a central plot. Only one way to find out Smile
Frame Arms Girl - Dope must've been one hell of a drug.
Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor - It's based on a light novel.....SKIPPED!
The Royal Tutor - Zzz.
Sakura Quest - About as bland as tofu.
Sagrada Reset - Even a prisoner locked up for several years wouldn't dare watch this.
Armed Girl's Machiavellism - I remember people throwing a fit over Amazon getting the streaming rights to this, bet they're not mad anymore.
Tsukigakirei - A feel good show by studio "feel.", seems legit.
Clockwork Planet - A dirty, rotten stain of the steampunk subgenre.
Love Tyrant Ugh bloody hell.....next.
Kabukibu Gave this show a benefit of a doubt, ended up getting the Walmart brand of Rakugo.
Berserk CGI is scarier than Micheal Myers and Leatherface combined.
Re:Creators Best new show of the season, which isn't saying much at all. It's fine for what it's trying to do and I'll continue watching unless it bores me.
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul Hopefully Funimation manages to get the rights for a home video release. No way am I supporting Strike.
Eromanga Sensei If this aired on the 1st it would've been one of the best April Fools jokes told that day.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Seriously? So they have two different sections of anime behind separate paywalls behind the Prime paywall? Somehow I am not as surprised as I should be.
You can buy those episodes without prime or anime strike. They're just not available under prime/anime strike for free streaming either.

I see. However, that I would so readily think them capable of such shenanigans does not speak well for ihateyouamazon.com's (mis)handling of their streaming content. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
What really surprises me is this season's lack of SOL Comedy show's. I've always found the subgenre incredibly charming, and there is almost always at least one decent genre entry in a season(Dragon Maid counts right???). But I haven't seen any so far!!!

Slice of life has a wide range so I'm not sure what you're looking for. I will say that if you enjoy cute girls doing cute things shows that Hinako Note is an enjoyable watch. Sakura Quest from its opening episode also seems it will be a rather strong SOL show for this season.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Seriously? So they have two different sections of anime behind separate paywalls behind the Prime paywall? Somehow I am not as surprised as I should be.

You can still watch Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis at Funimation. I rewatched it a few weeks back in preparation for Virgin Soul.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/rage-of-bahamut-genesis/

I don't have Funimation any more, but I found it on Hulu.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Rebecca's Eromangasensei review wrote:
Is it a forbidden love story between two probably-not-blood-related siblings?

Actually, Izumi mentions specifically that they aren't blood related.

Not that I think this would effect anyone's thoughts on the series because the viewer is clearly suppose to see her as a little sister, and imo if you see someone as your sister, that is that...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
Was surprised Hiroyuki Sawano isn't directing here, since a lot of the tropes that make me dislike his style were all there.
Sawano isn't a director, he's a composer (as in the guy composing the music, not the head writer), and he's still working on the show in the same capacity. You were probably thinking of Tetsuro Araki. And it's not like Araki isn't working on the show - his role was changed from "Director" to "Chief Director" (総監督, the same credit Shinbo has on all Shaft shows). He probably isn't doing the hands-on, day-to-day directing any more, but he still has a creative role in the show and has a say on its overall style.

Edl01 wrote:
What really surprises me is this season's lack of SOL Comedy show's. I've always found the subgenre incredibly charming, and there is almost always at least one decent genre entry in a season(Dragon Maid counts right???). But I haven't seen any so far!!!
Isn't Hinako Note exactly this kind of show? Whether or not it's a decent entry is another matter...

Might as well give my takes so far:
My Hero Academia: a slow but solid start of a new season. Can't say I'm hyped since I know next to nothing about the source material and what I've seen so far has been only decent, but it doesn't seem like it'll be a waste of time.

Attack on Titan: I'm up to date on the manga, but I don't remember the details of the arc being adapted all that well. I guess this means I can still be moderately surprised by this adaptation, which is a good place to be in, as far as I'm concerned. With some of the recent developments, reading the manga has become... well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "chore", but it feels more like a ritual than something I actively look forward to every month. The current anime arc has some great moments though, and I'm happy to see them animated.

Sakura Quest: relatable millenial woes, attractive character designs and parallels to SHIROBAKO are all there is to go on so far (haven't seen Hanasaku Iroha yet), but I'm definitely interested.

Sagrada Reset: Kana Hanazawa is the only reason I decided to give this one a try, and after having seeing the first episode it's still very much a speculative pick, but I do want to see how the whole "winning trust" thing will play out, as well as where the show is going with its "limitations of empathy" monologues.

Tsukigakirei: an attractive art style and a pair of adorably awkward leads. My only nitpick is that if you're giving your work a title after a Natsume Soseki aphorism, then why make your male lead a Dazai fanboy? I mean yeah, it's fitting for an aspiring teenage edgelord, but I feel like there's already enough anime referencing Dazai with adaptations of and allusions to Run, Melos!, references to his double suicide attempts and him being a main character in Bungou Stray Dogs. The most we get about Natsume is references to the title of I Am a Cat.

Saekano: Yup, sure is more Saekano.

Hinako Note: I probably would have liked this more if not for the stupid book eating gag. It's probably my Russian intelligentsia upbringing talking, but I just find it in such poor taste(haha) that I'm almost viscerally disgusted by it.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul: refreshing on the original might have been a good idea, but I'm definitely intrigued by the (apparent) protagonist and the state of the world, plus the action was simply terrific (aside from awkward juxtapositions of 2D and 3D in some scenes).

Re:Creators: loved the establishing montage showing the real world of social networks, internet chatrooms and otaku-centric media mixes. The action was also top notch. The premise is sort of interesting, but I can see it both turning into otaku panderung and/or getting sidelined by the harem shenanigans. And yeah, the glasses cut was ridiculous: in fact my first thought was "Why is he walking around with a camera that has glasses stuck to its lense?" and I've never even worn glasses Very Happy

KABUKIBU!: certainly interested in learning more about kabuki, but yeah, the show has yet to really sell what's attractive about it. I'm reminded more of Cheer Boys!! than Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, but even the former did more to sell its activity in the first episode.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Just caught up with today's shows after seeing Kizumonogatari and Your Name.

I do think going with "just" step-siblings will make for a better ending for the fanbase at least. Despite the pictures Jacob linked, in OreImo spoiler[they don't end up together, at least as more than siblings. The wedding (which was fake) and the burning romantic bridges was just to make her happy, and they don't get into a (non-sibling) relationship.] That's probably how those outside the fanbase of such shows would prefer it (not unreasonably!) but I imagine they were driven off by those other things already. I think Oreimo's ending is only divisive in what made it bad and not if it was.

Just to make clear, spoiler[While in the anime, it shows Kyousuke kissing Kirino on the cheek, in the light novel, it just said kiss (キス Kisu) which would usually mean on the lips. Based on the author's interviews, the kiss actually happened on the lips. After Kirino said that they had to go do a "Life consultation" when they get home .Based off of the interviews with the author, it seems that Kirino and Kyousuke's relationship with each other truly has not ended, only become more secret.]
Midaro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
How I love Rage of Bahamut...
dany_elle1908

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
So far i checked

Boku no Hero Academia and Attack on Titan - as seconds seasons

The Royal Tutor - Actually i watched this by mistake, thought was othert, but was a mnice suprise. Wasn't the greatest start, but decent enough to watch further.

Re:Creators Do not know, I will give 3-4 episodes to see how the story evolves.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
A sequel i been waiting for a good time and hasn't let me down the first eposode

The King's Avatar. Hm the animation actually isn't bad as all, i just need to adjust to the language
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Since CR has announced (and released) subs for the first two episodes of Tsugumomo, I'll provide some thoughts and a word of warning.

Tsugumomo, at the least the part of the manga currently being adapted, is a series out of time. If it feels as if you're watching something that doesn't belong among all the other spring 2017 shows that's because it's covering chapters that initially came out in 2007, ten years prior.

If you cannot handle the sexualization of characters of nearly ALL appearing ages stay away from this series. It is not for you. Viewer discretion is advised. If you're still uncertain, read the first oh say 12 chapters of the source manga. If nothing in it bothers you, you're good to go for the anime.

I cannot stress enough how important it is yuo do the proper research when watching anime more so than any other entertainment medium. You have no one but yourself to blame when you watch a show that has content you'd rather not be subject to. You are responsible for the media you consume. Those content advisory ratings still matter even when you're old enough to no longer be deterred by them.

Last edited by Hikaru Suzuhara on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:

Was surprised Hiroyuki Sawano isn't directing here, since a lot of the tropes that make me dislike his style were all there.

You mean, Tetsuro Araki?
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised; I was expecting to being forced to watch a majority of my simulcasts on Strike. However with super disappointing first episodes from Sagrada Reset and Armed girls as well as surprises from others, I'm gonna be watching 12 on CR and only 4 on Strike. Assuming Grimoire of Zero and Sword Oratoria are good that is.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Eccentric family 2, I hope the stakes are a lot lower than time around. I loved the laid back atmosphere of the first one, but it made it really hard to care about anytime the shows tried to do serious stuff.

I mean the character hanged out with one of his father killer and just didn't seem to have problem with that at all, so it was hard to get invested in the sobbing scene where they were sad about his death...

Then again the twin are still around despite spoiler[trying to kill the main character the first time around, so it's hard to say...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 30