• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So just wondering, as I thought the anime did a piss-poor job of it:
How much harder is it to tell that you-know-who is the culprit in this first novel?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Decently so. Clues are there if you know to look for them, but it doesn't feel like a foregone conclusion.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It's good to know, that what I heard about the anime basically adapting just the very first volume is true, this is very helpful. Thank you. It makes it easy to tell the people who saw the series and want to read more of it for a nice starting point to pick it up from. Also, how consistent are the names, because I remember people talking about how the names where meant to be spelt one way when the show was on going, but where spelt a different way in the show for some reason.

Last edited by Treecko Tempo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, totally missed that this got licensed. I'm mildly interested. Possibly enough to pick up the novels. The new character at the end irked me with their reveal, but people who have read the novels said that it doesn't got where it would predictably seem, so I have hope.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I recently read the 6 main series books of this that are out in Japanese. I'm curious to see where the story goes, and it feels like Yamagata has it planned out. But while Yamagata is a decent writer, the anime version really breathed life into the characters, which I miss.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I would check these out but I'm really against collecting series that are on hiatus/unknown status.
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
How much harder is it to tell that you-know-who is the culprit in this first novel?

The biggest clue spoiler[(Nash dramatically destroying the thingy)] is mentioned in passing, which actually made a lot of difference

Last edited by Mathias2001 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, Chamo is my favourite character in the series by far (even though her role after V1 is tragic)...so really, acting as if her personality is a minus is kinda dumb, since that critique goes into subjectivity rather than objectivity and this is a review post, not a reaction post.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
wow i did not now this got licensed and it's a pleasant surprise.

I absolutely loved the anime series and was quite disappointed that they never confirmed a 2nd season.

Does this volume add anything that the anime might have skipped otherwise I'll probably just get the 2nd vol
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Double Mangekyo wrote:

The biggest clue spoiler[(Nash dramatically destroying the thingy)] is mentioned in passing, which actually made a lot of difference

Dude, spoiler tags exist for a reason...
Glad to know it's like that, though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
I would check these out but I'm really against collecting series that are on hiatus/unknown status.

I'm usually the same, but have decided to get this series anyway.

Since I'm not going to be getting the anime, after the standard edition was cancelled, I want to show my support for the series somehow. So I decided to get the novels.

Now, seeing as I've seen the anime, I'm looking forward to seeing what clues the novel gives to to who the 7th is. I figured it out in the anime before the reveal, but I do wonder if I could've done the same if I read the novel first.
hatguy12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
Fremy, the potential romantic interest for Adlet, is the only character who isn't immediately suspicious, which is suspicious within itself.

I guess that means not suspicious to the reader, because to the other characters in the story I would say she's immediately the most suspicious.

Double Mangekyo wrote:

I watched the anime after reading the book, and I didn't pick it up in book. I would say it's difficult to solve the whole mystery yourself in either medium, but I think some of the hints were given a bit more strongly/frequently in the book, mainly... (book spoiler that indicates something is a hint) spoiler[I think the Sun Saint was mentioned a little more in the book, in terms of the extent of her powers and that she was missing.]
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh yiiiiisssssss thank you for the review, I am definitely getting this one.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Ironically, Chamo is my favourite character in the series by far (even though her role after V1 is tragic)...so really, acting as if her personality is a minus is kinda dumb, since that critique goes into subjectivity rather than objectivity and this is a review post, not a reaction post.

ha, try being an umineko fan and having the reviews (not talking about this site in particular) take down points because it has moe characters.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Mathias2001 wrote:

ha, try being an umineko fan and having the reviews (not talking about this site in particular) take down points because it has moe characters.

Umineko is a seriously underappreciated gem(and a mind @#&$, especially the VN) . And while I may not agree with the ending (the VNs) it was certainly a fun ride getting to that point.
Also one thing I never really noticed giving higurashis limited content on this character but Bernkastel spoiler[ is a real effing bitch Mad ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1