• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Mystic Archives of Dantalian Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I was reasonably entertained by the series, but I also didn't find it terribly engaging plotwise; I don't regret that it's not streaming anymore.

Quote:
Strict adherence to period fashion and detail supports this.

You've got to be kidding. The single thing that bugged me most about the series was the fact that outside of a few blink-and-you'll-miss-it background scenes, all of the female characters were dressed like it was the 1870's, which drove me straight up the wall (and even granting that, the costume designers clearly do not understand how Victorian evening wear differs from daywear). This is something that crops up way too often in anime; the creators want to do a Western period piece but don't bother to look up what would actually be period-appropriate and just go for non-specific "old-timey", which always ends up as blurred-out pseudo-Victorian. Not that Western culture gets the converse case any better, of course....

(For the record, this is what 1920's women's wear looked like.)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
^
What you linked to mostly deals with explicitly American fashions and emphasizes more fashions coming out later in the '20s, whereas this series is implied to be set at the beginning of the 1920s. I'd be a lot more convinced if the entry showed styles specific to Great Britain right around 1920.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hugh's lighter is an Imco, which stood out because I once bought one after someone identified the one Rekki uses in Haibane (helps that it was less than a fiver IIRC). Huey's was a different model however, and since then the company has shut down Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
What you linked to mostly deals with explicitly American fashions and emphasizes more fashions coming out later in the '20s, whereas this series is implied to be set at the beginning of the 1920s. I'd be a lot more convinced if the entry showed styles specific to Great Britain right around 1920.

The images do show fashion from the very early 20's, and in any case even at exactly 1920 the long thin silhouette was already established (there is a clear progression from the "barrel" styles of 1918-1919 to the very sleek fashions of the late 20's) - for example see pages 124+ here. And by the 1920's fashion was sufficiently internationalized that mainstream British fashion was not noticeably different from mainstream American fashion. (I collect fashion magazines from the era, so I have lots of material for comparison.)

In any case, women's clothing of the 1920's looks nothing like the apron-fronted bustle dresses that pass for fashionable wear in the series. For the magical girls I can accept it, but it strains belief that every other woman in the series, including noted fashionistas and famous actresses, is an eccentric who affects the fashions of her grandmother's era.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
So it is set in England, yet they gave it a sub only release? They did the same thing with Emma a Victorian Romance.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps they don't have enough people in Texas who can do an English accent. Even US broadcast English is not the same as UK English.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Given how long it is been since this was streamed, I'm more inclined to believe it simply isn't popular enough a show to justify the dubbing costs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1