• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does It Take So Long For Anime Movies To Come Out On Video?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Anime Limited scheduled Your Name for November/December release and A silence voice (with an dub) somewhere this summer. COmparing that to lets say Steins;Gate movie, Tamako Love Story, Beyond the boundary movie i would say its not so bad.

I think Japanese producers are going to let US anime companies allow to have quicker theater screening from now of on though. SAO movie (sure its by Aniplex but still) Your Name and a Silence voice are great examples for that. Overseas theater screenings wont effect their own market anyway.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I remember having to wait a whole year after seeing Princess Mononoke in a theater to own it on DVD. The wait is worth it for Your Name.

Personally, I've found at times revisiting a movie too soon after a theater experience can dilute the enjoyment of it on a repeat viewing.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
JuanDmarco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Here in Brazil we rarely even get Japanese movies dubbed. :/
At least that's how it is now. There were a lot of animes being dubbed here in the early 2000s, but these days, outside of Netflix releases, there are only a few animes being released (Digimon, Beyblade, Yo-kai Watch, Pokémon, Bleach, Naruto Shippuden and Dragon, at least that I can remember, plus some DVD-only releases such as Saint Seiya and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's), and they take really long to get here since our dubs are usually adapted from the English or Spanish dubs of these shows, instead of directly adapted from the original Japanese dub.
Anyway, I have no idea how long anime movies take to be released here in Brazil when they DO get released, but I assume it's really long.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

I think Japanese producers are going to let US anime companies allow to have quicker theater screening from now of on though. SAO movie (sure its by Aniplex but still) Your Name and a Silence voice are great examples for that. Overseas theater screenings wont effect their own market anyway.

And they're so limited, it won't affect most of our viewing habits either.

But I don't think it's a matter of "they'll allow theater screening now" but the double effect of digital film stock and foreign distributors willing to comply with their demands. It eases demand and complaints... somewhat- I'm not sure how long "Hey, it's licensed, if you can't see it in a theater that's your problem" will hold up... while building...

No, even I can't write that with a straight face. It's just more reasons for piracy.

Hey, guys, there's this thing called "the internet"- I don't know if you've heard of it- but renting these anime movies through it might be a better solution. Adapt or...

They don't have a reason to adapt, do they? Hmm...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the US, the standard "window" of time where a movie is only available in theaters and not yet on video and other pay platforms (i.e. iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Xfinity On Demand) is only 90 days, and there's significant industry pressure currently to shorten that window to as little as a few weeks. (The movie studios are currently battling theater owners about that very issue.)

Studios are so self-convinced of their wishful-thinking that "The public just can't get enough of digital!" (when, in fact, studies have shown the reverse), they literally believe the solution to their theater woes is promising audiences they can get their digital movies even faster, or pre-order them while still in theaters, if they just can't wait! If someone here also actually believes that, could they explain the logic behind that thinking to me?? Confused
When in fact, the current theater problem is exactly the opposite: Knowing that we'll get the home-theater version before we turn around is what's made expensive repeat theater-business nearly extinct, caused studios to put all their eggs into big opening-weekend baskets, and reduced a "season smash hit" to two weeks, but only if it's a dry spell, a surprise flop opening from its second-week competition, or breakout word-of-mouth hit.

And yes, reverse importation was a big fear on Disney's Princess Mononoke release, which was one reason Disney was forced to release it theatrically when they signed the Ghibli deal, and that only after the movie finally started exportation.
The Japanese video industry was still heavily regulated back then, with few VHS sales and no interest yet in the emerging DVD, even for Toho's profitable Kaiju and Ghibli titles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I was under the assumption that Funimation was going release Your Name on disc on November or December of this year. But from Justin's response the earliest that the movie could be available on DVD/BD is by Spring of next year.

I already watched Your Name pirated (sorry, but Funimation took too long to offer a legal alternative), but I am definitely waiting for the BD and continue making fun at the decision to cast ancient Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
All Japanese companies move slowly and it's going to kill them. Toshiba is finished, and Japanese car companies are still pushing hydrogen when it's plug-in electric.

The next decade is going to be even more brutal for Japan and it's economy than the last which was already terrible.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was under the assumption that Funimation was going release Your Name on disc on November or December of this year. But from Justin's response the earliest that the movie could be available on DVD/BD is by Spring of next year.

I already watched Your Name pirated (sorry, but Funimation took too long to offer a legal alternative), but I am definitely waiting for the BD and continue making fun at the decision to cast ancient Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha.

Considering now rare it is an anime film to even get a theatrical release without the name Ghibli attached or a big name like Dragonball, I get the feeling it's easier said than done.

Beside if you plan to buy a home release you are eventually going to be supporting it.

And I don't know when this is going to get that home release, but I figure they'd try for the holiday season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Beside if you plan to buy a home release you are eventually going to be supporting it.
Don't misunderstand me. I like supporting legal releases. Going through illegal means is very rare for me.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Don't misunderstand me. I like supporting legal releases. Going through illegal means is very rare for me.

Wasn't trying to, hell your original comment shows you prefer legal methods
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Wasn't trying to, hell your original comment shows you prefer legal methods

Sorry about that.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I was the one who asked this question. My friend was convinced Your Name be on BD/DVD by fall at latest. I was thinking Spring 2018 myself. After I submitted the question another friend mentioned the UK distributor said they wouldn't be able to release Your Name til November at the earliest. That makes me believe a 2018 release is almost guaranteed at this point. I think that will apply to both the US & UK.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So, it might be out on disk this year, and then again, it might not. Ok. Hopefully Funimation will stream it before then, maybe? I put it on my Funimation "wish-list" like several weeks ago.

And is there any chance Red Box will carry it? Just in case I cancel Funny before then.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Anime Limited planned a disc release over here for the end of October. Although pre-orders are still being taken, the previously-announced date has worryingly disappeared from the relevant Amazon page. I fear we may share a similar fate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If you don't like Stephanie Sheh in the cast that is fine. However you don't have to be rude and make fun of her that is just wrong especially when there are people who do like her work. You should learn to be more considerate about other people's thoughts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3