• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Key the Metal Idol

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, the irony. I finally get to see Key review Key: The Metal Idol. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
This always sounded like one interesting OVA as people kept mentioning it over the years. I might need to see this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Yeah, I get the feeling his review isn't unbiased Razz
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Good review of one of my all time favorite series. Thanks!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I bought the old Viz release at an convention in my home town and it is a good series but also kind of feels like a "museum piece" if only for how it looks.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much for anyone taking a renewed interest in this show--Discotek's for the re-issue, and Theron's for the review! Very Happy

Despite the fact I haven't seen Key in a decade or more, the heartbreak, pain, and suffering left a lasting impression. It is one of those rare shows that defies genre pigeonholing and stands in a class by itself. The characters are engrossing, the songs arresting. Definitely not a series to be forgotten, and an easy one to recommend to a new generation of fans. Smile

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Joking aside, I've owned the old Viz release of Key the Metal Idol for years now and the series is definitely a unique beast for the anime medium since it doesn't follow many of the typical plot conventions and character archetypes you'd expect from many anime back then and even now. An overlooked hidden gem from the 1990s worth checking out, and one I'm glad Discotek has re-released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Anyone from the Bay Area remember when this used to be aired on PBS? Man, those were the days!

Quote:
Every song is also dubbed with remarkable accuracy, to the point that performances in English even match the vocal quality and pitch of the originals amazingly closely.

Reminds me of how the translated lyrics for the Please Save My Earth songs also matched the song melody. That takes skill!

I'm a sub fan through and through but the Ocean Group dubs were rather enjoyable. Maybe it's because I liked hearing the actors from Beast Wars and my other favorite cartoons.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'll say this for episode 14: it has the second best walking & talking scene after Fate: Zero.

I do think (as I remember it, anyway. It's been a while) the series is a bit more flawed than just its penultimate episode, though I think that highlights the problem with the series. Key took about four years to release & feels like a series where the writer-director kept thinking up new things he wanted to add while forgetting bits of what had already happened in earlier episodes. The 90 minute info dump is basically him answering all the questions nobody but he had been asking while making it. While I wouldn't say a bad/disappointing ending should stop someone watching a series, it's worth bearing in mind that the final two episodes are three of the shows nine-ish hour run time, so they ask a lot of the viewer.

An apt analogy for the show comes from the its opening, I think. The bit where Key is passing through the liquid wall GITS style (though this came first) looks really cool & arty, but then it cuts to a shot of the half that's emerging & its just flailing about awkwardly & ruins the moment. Key never quite matched its pretensions for me, & devolves into near nonsense at times towards the end.

On a different topic, I wish someone would license Shakotan Boogie, the other OVA Hiroaki Sato worked on (directed the first episode, I think?). It's next to impossible to find & I don't think even a fansubbed version exists, at least publicly.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Yeah, I get the feeling his review isn't unbiased Razz

Hah, so Theron is "Key" here? Not that I've never noticed, but I wondered if the user "Key" here would review...what else??? Key! (lol)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to pick this up. Key is absolutely fascinating and exactly the kind of idol anime that the industry needs right now, along with Perfect Blue. Strange how they came 15 years early.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
A shame for the anime industry to have let Hiroaki Sato fade away from it after Key...

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I'm gonna have to pick this up. Key is absolutely fascinating and exactly the kind of idol anime that the industry needs right now, along with Perfect Blue. Strange how they came 15 years early.

I didn't come 15 years early - Key was a perfect product of its time in its mid-90s pre-Evangelion pop-bleakness / post-bubble hangover. It would be completely out of place and misunderstood in today's market.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Such an underrated show. Honestly I feel this anime was too early for it's time and I think this show would really be appreciated if it were released in today's market.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ialdaboth wrote:
A shame for the anime industry to have let Hiroaki Sato fade away from it after Key...

Agreed. Unfortunately it's hard to track down info on what he's been up to since then, as his is a fairly common name combo. (We have four in our Encyclopedia alone.) His last anime credit that I can find was the screenplay for White Album back in 2009.

Quote:
I didn't come 15 years early - Key was a perfect product of its time in its mid-90s pre-Evangelion pop-bleakness / post-bubble hangover. It would be completely out of place and misunderstood in today's market.

I hadn't considered the angle that I put in bold but upon reflection I have to agree with it. However, I still stand by my statement that the series is still relevant these days as a counterpoint to all of the more idealistic idol shows out there.

Oh, and one thing that I don't feel I stressed enough in the review: the video quality is fairly crappy on this new release. I may go by to my old early 2000s DVDs for future rewatches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I hadn't considered the angle that I put in bold but upon reflection I have to agree with it. However, I still stand by my statement that the series is still relevant these days as a counterpoint to all of the more idealistic idol shows out there.

Oh, and one thing that I don't feel I stressed enough in the review: the video quality is fairly crappy on this new release. I may go by to my old early 2000s DVDs for future rewatches.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Modern anime tend to be so pontificatously enamoured with its own crap, so compromised by its submission to neoliberal commoditization of human empathy and feelings, so lacking of capacity for pop-cultural auto-criticism, it's embarrassing.

Sorry, just spouting nonsense... i'm out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2