• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clockwork Planet GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well, it's only the 1st volume of the series, and of the manga at that. So it seems natural to me that not everything would get explained from the get-go. Naoto and Marie haven't even met yet, and Marie only just discovered the incoming destruction. This was just an introduction with set-up. I'd rather have that than a full-on infodumb spoon-fed to me.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
Well, it's only the 1st volume of the series, and of the manga at that. So it seems natural to me that not everything would get explained from the get-go. Naoto and Marie haven't even met yet, and Marie only just discovered the incoming destruction. This was just an introduction with set-up. I'd rather have that than a full-on infodumb spoon-fed to me.

While I haven't read the manga, the review comes across to me that the plants have been concentrated too much at the start. Though it's not always the case, in most of the best stories, plants are distributed throughout the story, with them dropping off in frequency towards the end to be replaced with their counterparts, the payoffs. Rather, the beginnings of stories will most often have introductions to the characters and how they're like. Once you, the audience member, get to know the main characters and understand how they tick, THEN the plants start coming in.

This was a problem I had with the beginning of D. Gray-Man: It was too focused on setting up plot threads and other plants and not enough on the characters, causing me to not really care about any of them. I, like most others, get engaged into a story through its characters first and foremost. If the characters aren't compelling and relatable, I'll have a much harder time enjoying the story.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
This anime seems to have a huge amount of similarity with an Xbox360 game called Resonance of Fate, so much that this feels like a prequel.

In that game the Earth had died and all that remained of humanity lived in one giant tower called Babel (which looks identical to the core towers in the series) everything was clockwork and powered by quartz crystals embedded in to people and objects at birth that rationed how long someone had to live.

It seriously feels like this series after another thousand years
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1