• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-hen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
青白

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
How did you get your hands on this film? Was this in theatre in US?
Bobduh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

Yep, it screened at a few theaters throughout the country. I'm lucky enough to live in a city that generally gets the more niche anime film releases.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Great fight scene or greatest fight scene ever?
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find the CG stadium as jarring for me as the fight animation was truly gorgeous (also extremely gruesome.) Though the CG head was totally weird. I mean Oishi's directing style has always been eccentric, but I wish this film used a more Second Season or Owari approach to the directing (which we knew wouldn't happen.)

All in all, I liked it better than part 1 but not as much as 2, even though I felt the ending was truly majestic. I am astonished however at how well the film carried the audience's emotions along its' whimsical ride. At least in the theater I was in, we all laughed, fell silent, cheered, and got excited together. Pretty impressive to say the least.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

A very few number of theaters still have showings, although today or tomorrow might be your last chance, if you happen to live in the right place Mad

http://kizumonogatari-usa.com/theater.html

Also, my local theater had a "revival" double-feature of the first 2 parts available with part 3, so you might want to check your local theater to see if they are doing the same thing or maybe plan on having a triple feature sometime down the line.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Certainly one of the most memorable fight scenes I've seen. At times absurd in all the right ways, and well done through and through. The gym storage room scene with Hanekawa was excellent as well, though in one of the franchise's other specialties, frequently sexually charged banter. Aside from the odd head, Kiss-shot's vampiric nature showing itself was suitably horrifying (hard to do better than spoiler[a person being graphically devoured] to that end). It would have been my favorite film I've seen and likely will have seen this year had I not seen Your Name just hours afterwards. I'm lucky to live near one of the, what, 33 theaters that get the more limited releases like this.
O-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
If I'm being honest the CGI head was even more disturbing given how everything leading up to that scene played out. It was this weird uncomfortable mix of humor and absolute horror happening at once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It was a solid cap to the trilogy. I would be lying if I said it was perfect to me, or that the visual incongruity and the wild tone swings, especially in regards to some oddly timed comedy, didn't bother me at all, but I was accustomed to that for this third part, at the very least. Part 2 is actually one of my favorite hours of anime ever. It was perfection to me, and the tonal balance,visuals, and everything, somehow just nailed it. This one had a few moments where I genuinely wished he had toned it down just a tad. There were moments where I felt like my forced laughs were pulling me out of scenes that should be hitting me harder emotionally, etc.
All that being said, it was great. The animation was utterly breath-taking and I can hardly wait to rewatch just for that, the story hit all of the right beats and came to the perfect conclusion, and holy f*cking jesus that gym storage room scene was maybe the hottest thing I've ever seen in anime? Hanekawa as my #1 getting the limelight in this trilogy was both painful and wonderful. Painful because I know where it ultimately goes, but wonderful because.. well, you know.
Anyway, great movie, but it'll be better to me when I can finally sit down and watch all 3 on BD back to back. Can hardly wait for that marathon! Very Happy
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I didn't find the CG stadium as jarring for me as the fight animation was truly gorgeous (also extremely gruesome.) Though the CG head was totally weird. I mean Oishi's directing style has always been eccentric, but I wish this film used a more Second Season or Owari approach to the directing (which we knew wouldn't happen.)

Really? I thought Owari was honestly kinda trash in terms of direction. It was constantly reusing imagery and ideas from earlier series, the animation was toned down and the voice acting carried the series. The colour balance often felt off too in the later part of Owari, the first two episodes or so were good but everything in Shinobu's are felt pretty weak(compared to Bake, or Tsuki which I would argue are the directorial high points, even if Tsuki's story is weak) and again the voice acting in Sodachi's arc was the only thing which made it really worth watching was her VA. Scenes like Hanekawa catching the cup were painful to watch.

The less said about the CG monstrosity if the samurai armour the better - CG doesn't work for characters like that, it just looks out of place and off. Hell, even in Kizu I get annoyed when I see them using CG for long distance shots of characters, but I realize I might be in the minority there since I am usually looking for it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Hell, even in Kizu I get annoyed when I see them using CG for long distance shots of characters, but I realize I might be in the minority there since I am usually looking for it.

Interesting note: Unless I missed it, what you think is CG on long-distance character shots in Kizu is actually not. Kou Yoshinari animated the majority of that. I don't believe they made 3D models for the characters at all. His style is just so detailed and moves so smoothly that it regularly gets confused for CG. Here are a couple of the clips that he worked on(even well known sakuga personalities thought some of this was CG at first):
Shinobu is not CG at the beginning here.
I guess the other clip where he is walking up the stairs and we get a top down look of him isn't on sakugabooru right now(I could've sworn that was uploaded), but anyway, that is also not CG.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
One of the things that really stood out about this film particularly is how it recontextualized the tail end of the Tsubasa Cat arc of Bake for me, in particular Hanekawa's almost taunting Shinobu out of Araragi's shadow - realizing that those two have a specific history going right back to the start of Araragi's story really adds another layer to that scene.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this film. Not only was it visually captivating, it was a great conclusion to the Kizu story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1