• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Dubs anohana Anime Series, Announces Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I honestly never thought I'd see the day. And Patrick Seitz is directing the dub! This is amazing, truly amazing. Anime cry
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
there we go aniplex. two series' I want to own. I skipped out on magi cause of the DVD only release but will buy the bluray.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Dub cast for anohana looks great, but when this box comes out, it may serve as a nice object lesson of Aniplex USA's price gouging, since we'll be able to compare it directly to the NIS America longbox from 2012, which had an MSRP of $70 for the collector's edition, and streeted for much less than that (mine from Right Stuf was $52). Of course, Aniplex USA charging an arm and a leg shouldn't be news to anyone, but it'll be nice to be able to quantify it (kind of like when they clawed the Baccano! license back from Funimation and put out a Blu-Ray box).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaat? For 2-3 years I had been wishing for Aniplex USA to dub Anohana, and they are going to do it. AWESOME. This is not a must, but it would be nice if they also dub the movie. If AoA does a nice chipboard box, I am ready to pay $150 for the series. And I would pay $200 for a set that also includes the movie and a thick booklet.

Thank you for this.

invalidname wrote:
it may serve as a nice object lesson of Aniplex USA's price gouging, since we'll be able to compare it directly to the NIS America longbox from 2012, which had an MSRP of $70...(kind of like when they clawed the Baccano! license back from Funimation and put out a Blu-Ray box).
How exactly are you directly comparing the two Anohana sets? One will have an English dub and the other does not. And I don't know the price of the Baccano import BD set, but the BD rerelease that AoA did was like $60 MSRP.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeeesss!! Regardless of the dub, I'm just excited that this means they will be re-releasing the TV series which has been impossible to purchase since a few months after it came out. I've even been checking Ebay for about a year with no luck.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This renewed my hope for a Blast of Tempest re-release on BD, dub or no dub. The DVD only release is the reason I still haven't bought it yet.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a surprise, usually sub-only releases don't get a dub later on, must of been a big seller.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
This renewed my hope for a Blast of Tempest re-release on BD, dub or no dub. The DVD only release is the reason I still haven't bought it yet.

I am also a big fan of the show, but sadly I don't think it is popular enough for AoA to go back and release it on BD, much less dub it. I would upgrade my DVD's only if it is released on BD and dubbed.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, Aniplex charging ridiculous prices again.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:
it may serve as a nice object lesson of Aniplex USA's price gouging, since we'll be able to compare it directly to the NIS America longbox from 2012, which had an MSRP of $70...(kind of like when they clawed the Baccano! license back from Funimation and put out a Blu-Ray box).
How exactly are you directly comparing the two Anohana sets? One will have an English dub and the other does not. And I don't know the price of the Baccano import BD set, but the BD rerelease that AoA did was like $60 MSRP.

Well, that's why I said it may serve as a comparison. Let's see what the price is, but also what you get with each. The NISA edition had a nice oversize hardcover artbook and a sturdy box; Aniplex's will have a dub. At the same price, I'd call that a push. But if Aniplex's comes in at like $100, no way… and I don't care how nice the damn postcards are.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Multiple people on Twitter have said that the Anohana set was also announced to be $120.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
First Funi licenses Hyouka AND dubs it and a series I have lost any hope for years ago is getting dubbed!! I don't care what AoA prices this release as any amount is worth it to me to have an English dub and not have to listen to it dubbed in Japanese! This past year AoA has made me so happen with pretty much every single announcement they made!

Magi blurays FINALLY! I can't wait to finally be able to watch this series when they release the blurays! I don't stream anime and didn't want to buy an HD show on DVD as that's all AoA offered and have been hoping for years for this announcement. Thank you AoA! <3
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
But if Aniplex's comes in at like $100, no way… and I don't care how nice the damn postcards are.

To me the English dub alone is worth the extra $30. But I suspect the MSRP will be $130-150.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Baccano! was put out by Aniplex in a $70 version with paper slip case and a plain jane version with paper sleeve at $60 which got discounted at one point down to about $40 (IIRC) to clear out the stock. I bought the JPN version because I wanted an actual chipboard box. I can't remember exactly, but want to say I paid about $120. I don't think that included shipping, but I do remember the dollar was very strong vs the yen at the time. This can be a little like comparing apples to oranges. It comes down to personal tastes and price sensitivity. I think NISA gave good value for for their sets. Toradora came with a chipboard box, hardback book, on disc extras and a dub with more episodes for under $100. Compare with AoA releases in the $70-120 range you did better with NISA (imho). Now I don't think every AoA release is ridiculous priced (many are Baccano wasn't), but they cut corners and I don't always feel like I get value for my money from them. But like I said with apples to oranges line value is in the eye of the beholder.

I think its a smart move by AoA as Anohana has a chance to be an evergreen title for them, much like Durarara! and Madoka have become. There's plenty of people who missed picking up the title the first time around. The dub will give people an extra incentive to pick it up and also will have larger appeal on some streaming services like Amazon Strike. However, the show is going on to being 6 years old now and I suspect they will approach it like the current Durarara!! and Madoka releases . A paper sleeve case and maybe some postcards which will then have a street price anywhere from $120-150. If they throw in the movie then it could go higher, but I would guess that they would wait on releasing the movie separately based on the success of the show. If they don't get too ridiculous in price ($200+) I can see myself buying this.

Last edited by One-Eye on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
OH HECK YES!!! I've been waiting for a dub of this show ever since I finished it, and now my wish is coming true!!!

Which reminds me, I really need to finish watching Yuuki Yuuna's English dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3