• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride GN 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Nick Wrote:
Quote:
Alice's character would be stronger if we could feel the lived truth of her experience, but her dialogue isn't specific or evocative enough to sell the idea of a character who's suffered through a real addiction.

It is likely that the author had no personal experience with addiction and was working from imagination much as she has done with magic. Regardless, given that this is a tale of magic and the supernatural, I don't think that a more extended realistic portrayal of addiction would have been appropriate to the series. I think what we did get was adequate to show that Alice had gone down far enough that it explains her strong attachment and loyalty to her mentor.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I was most intrigued with spoiler[how possessive Elias is of Chise deep down, as shown at the near end of the volume. He may not be able to understand it, but it shows he cares for her in a way that he himself can't explain]. As always, looking forward to the next installment, and I can't wait for the anime adaptation.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I was most intrigued with spoiler[how possessive Elias is of Chise deep down, as shown at the near end of the volume. He may not be able to understand it, but it shows he cares for her in a way that he himself can't explain]. As always, looking forward to the next installment, and I can't wait for the anime adaptation.

You mean like when spoiler[Elias was so possessive that he bite/nibbled on Chise's shoulder?] I thought that part was really cute. Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
You mean like when spoiler[Elias was so possessive that he bite/nibbled on Chise's shoulder?] I thought that part was really cute. :D

Like that part, yes. :D
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Living in the UK and having worked in West London, I sometimes wince at the inaccuracies of their life and environment portrails here. The author admits in her end of volume blurb that she has never been to the UK,but is looking forward to it, and is using a "Ye-Olde-English" theme park in Fukushima Prefecture called "British Hills" as reference. I have my doubts about its authenticity of actual facts of Britain, more the usual "fairytale" misconceptions and false history based in the usual Victorian era. Also I find it hard to except that when the story seems based in present day times, Chise has no access to even a landline phone let alone a mobile, using enchanted dead birds to communicate with instead. (Sound familiar? Wink) Even the most remotest farm house has at least a landline here. In this volume Elias has discovered yet another human feeling he doesn't know the name of. spoiler[Jealousy, He displayed he can get very aggressive in his posession of Chise to the point of physically hurting her. ]
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
spoiler[Jealousy, he displayed he can get very aggressive in his possession of Chise to the point of physically hurting her. ]

You make it sound like he hauled off and slapped her for not spending more time him. Laughing
Nimitz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also I find it hard to except that when the story seems based in present day times, Chise has no access to even a landline phone let alone a mobile, using enchanted dead birds to communicate with instead.

Why would Elias get a phone when everyone he knows communicates by magic?
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Addiction comment sounds nitpicky imo. Didn't see a problem with how it's portrayed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also I find it hard to except that when the story seems based in present day times, Chise has no access to even a landline phone let alone a mobile, using enchanted dead birds to communicate with instead.

Why would Elias get a phone when everyone he knows communicates by magic?
And why not? The house has other mod cons like a fridge, a washing machine, electric lights etc., wny not a phone as well? Chise would most probably know of the existance of mobile communications and computers. No phone line, no broadband.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Those appliances have obvious practical uses, a phone is only good for talking to other people who own phones, and the only person Elias interacts with on a regular basis who might have one is the local priest. Chise might be aware of the existence of mobile phones and computers but would she ask for them? I don't think her sense of self-worth has developed enough yet to risk appearing to be a nuisance to Elias.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Stay tuned! It could happen if the author thinks of it worth adding. "If". Only two letters, but such a BIG word. Also she could have to at least checked an atlas to see that Iceland is [NOT] "a chain of volcanic islands" like Japan, but a single island formed by a chain of volcanos. What was her editor doing to let that glaring own goal get through? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1