• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Atom The Beginning

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So it's Chappie with the Tezuka Aestethic? Hopefully it turns out better than the movie in question
Ruddor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Astro Boy, but from what I've read, the only links between the two series are a few characters who appear in both. Ochanomizu and Tenma are two very important characters in Astro Boy, the latter creates and eventually abandons Astro(or Atom) and the former rescues and raises Astro.
the green death

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Don't know the original beyond the art (don't want to watch the dubbed anime and there's no subs available I can see), but I threw in on this episode due to the great classic character designs. It was a nice simple fun watch. I look forward to seeing how the series evolves!
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised; this one definitely has a lot of potential. It's fun and pleasant and colorful, but also thoughtful and with some darker edges to it that I imagine will become more pronounced further down the line. Also, that opening is great. This season is strong on its openings in general, it seems.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I *love* Astro Boy, and it's so much fun seeing updated versions of old favorite characters. I kept squeeing every time I recognized someone who came on screen. It looks like it's going to keep the original characterizations but show new stories about what happened a long time ago, and it seems to be in the fun adventurous style the original had. Totally thrilled here.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The manga took a volume to really get going as well, but has definitely become something worth reading.
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It's weird seeing Tenma as an overall good goofy person before everything happened, makes you wish he had stayed like that.

He was an awful, albeit confused person in Astroboy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
When they blasted through the wall while creating Atom, all I could think of was this. Very Happy

I wonder if by the end this robot will turn out to be, not the real Atom (Astro), but his older brother Cobalt (Jetto), who was mothballed for being defective prior to Atom's creation (in the anime series. In the manga Cobalt was created to replace a presumably lost Atom).

Motoko sure is flexible.

Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
So it's Chappie with the Tezuka Aestethic? Hopefully it turns out better than the movie in question

Now I've not read or seen this title but after reading a synopsis,my first impression was 'Chappie' as well-the name Atom is why I thought of the movie.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
My experience with Astro Boy was of a remake series in the 2000s that appeared on a children's tv channel when I was younger. I did not watch it religiously, and it was really before I got into anime, so I am kind of interested, although I am also kind of aware that Astro Boy is supposed to be after tragedy, so it feels kind of sad that we are in happy times.

A little slow so far, but I am kind of thinking that there might be something going forward.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
This was a very charming first episode, but just as well it isn't something that will push it to the top of most viewers "to watch" lists.
Both mech and character designs are trying to blend retro with modern, the story telling is simple but doesn't need to be much more getting our foot into a world of robots just after as of yet undefined disaster.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a sci fi romp that almost feels like a show just for children in its first episode – except for that part where a bandage-wrapped baddie tries to take out an entire theme park full of happy people by converting one of the parade robots into a giant bomb. Going forward, I suspect that Atom The Beginning is going to surpass its bright colors and perky imagery to become a much more involved story than this episode would suggest.

Isn't that how Astro Boy ended up though? It started off lighthearted, but eventually led to some more serious issues with some darker overtones.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
^Well, yes. Most of Tezuka's "kiddy" stories do, which I should have mentioned. Embarassed
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I should have known that a young Dr. Tenma would be a chuunibyou. Obvious in hindsight.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have any experience with Astroboy aside from what you inevitably see and hear as part of the community, but it has been interesting so far. A nice sprinkling of nice animation helps, but the story and ideas espoused have been interesting enough on their own. Looking forward to more.

That taking off the shoes while running for your life was ridiculous though. Force of habit is strong I guess but the kicker was that she picked back up to neatly set them down. If you're going to toss them off while running for your life just do it quickly and don't worry if it's neat (and if you're just going to run out of the building shortly after keep your shoes on!). Trying to sit in a more ladylike manner after seemingly escaping I can see, as unless you are a security professional, one would likely let your guard down and focus on other matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6